News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball trivia Question of the Day, or thereabouts

Started by retrojint, August 24, 2011, 01:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

Dasher: No problem with you looking. That's the formula I suggest. From memory first, then seek help. It's interesting to me that the question  was that difficult. I put the "Oh to be young again" word game at the front of the question, expecting that it would give the player's name away, which  is quite unique to the game. Anyway I was flipping through Bill James' last Abstract, which  was written before the 1988 season.  McDowell was the darling of saber geeks early in his career. He had enormous projections. The guy had a career of above-average duration, but he didn't play all that well after a promising startl.   
On the 40s, I didn't realize Saito was that old.  On Rhodes, I remember taking my oldest son when he was little to see the Red Wings play the Chiefs at the old stadium. Authur was the starter for the Rochester. He had a no-hitter through  5, I believe, then got hammered in the 6th. My son is 25. I guess that was about 20 years ago. Geez be left-handed and stay healthy. 

9-4-11: Name the player in MLB history who has the most career HRs without having ever hit at least 20 HRs in any one season. 
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

dasher

Congrats Bill on naming the greybeards.
Retro, I'm taking a  sweet wild ass guess (SWAG) at your most recent question. Ty Cobb played for like 25 years and I don't think he ever hit more than 15 a year. Based on longevity Ty is my guess.

Bill Brown

""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

retrojint

Boys both wrongo choices. Those guys are better than my guy in the question. So you need some help. Let's bring in Bob Dylan to assist. Close scrutiny to the lyrics will help you.

"I'm walkin down that long lonesome road, Babe
Where I'm bound I can't tell
But goodbye's too good a word, gal
So I'll just say fairly-well
  I ain't saying you treated me unkind
You could have  done better, but I don't mind
You just kind of wasted my precious time
But don't think twice,  it's all right."

dasher

Steve,
That was super. Not sure I got it, but I checked the man out - 21 seasons in the bigs- 215 HR's- never 20 in a season.
Ron Fairly
So I'll just say fairly-well

retrojint

There you go, Dasher. Good job. BTW: Dylan's voice has gotten so bad these days that some of his admirers walk out on his concertscomplaining that he sounds like Cookie Monster from Sesame Street.

Happy Labor Day 9-5-11:  Hardly one to pinch an inch, name the player who led the Seattle Pilots in HRs during their sole season of existence.

Special Holiday Bonus Extravaganza: On that same Pilots' team, a cameo appearance was made by a Kingston, N.Y. native who played previously for the Yankees. His career was sadly curtailed by glaucoma.  Name the player.

dasher

I guessed Tommy Davis, since he was the only Pilot I could remember. Looked it up and laughed about the clue that went right over my head! Good one to say the least.
Regarding the player with glaucoma, don't have a clue. And me, I have glaucoma in both eyes so I am interested in the answer.
My turn for a question hombre:
The Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees competed in 44 World Series games. Name the only player who played in every one of them.

dasher

Timely Trivia Question
Moneyball and Brad Pitt scheduled for release September 23 I believe. The book is about Billy Beane introducing sabermetrics to baseball with the Oakland A's and overruling his traditional scouts in conducting the 2002 draft.
The question- Of the seven first round selections the A's had in 2002- only three have had decent major league careers and are still on a roster. Name these three sabermetric selected survivors.

retrojint

I am a pretty big Moneyball fan. Read the book. A guy who headed up the northeastern sector scouting for the Cardinals when Mike Jorgensen was running their farm system for Walt Jocketty is a friend of mine. I talked scouting and baseball in general with him many times. The concepts found in the book actually first appeared on the scene in articles Bill James was writing for Baseball Digest in the 70s. It turns out he was writing them while working as a graveyard-shift security guard at a factory in Kansas City.  For the trivia question: Quite a few at least surfaced. I think Swisher, Blanton, Guthrie and Teahen had the longest careers. A guy who didn't was Russ Adams, who I thought was going to be an excellent MLB player. A Tar Heeler, a guy with an excellent short stroke. No defensive position. He lost heart switching around the infield and outfield. Guthrie I think is a good pitcher in an extremely poor situation.

The Dodger-Yankee question 41,47,49,52,53,55,56-the later 2 years eliminates Rizzuto. I can't think of anybody just now. That is quite a time interval. Still waiting on my Pilots question. 

babywhales

Went north for the holiday weekend, appears as though some new questions have been asked.

Didn't see an answer to the Pilots HR question:
Dave Mincher

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

dasher

Steve, as usual, you nailed the three drafted in 2002 in the first round that I was looking for - Blanton, Swisher, Teahen. Interesting that Beane traded all three away.
I need to look up Guthrie to see the year he was drafted and the round.
Chris nailed your Mariners question- Don Michcher.
Now, we have two pending- the player with glaucoma and the Yankee-Dodgers player. You are amazing in that you knew all the years, but not the player. Think small, amigo.

babywhales

Don not dave, thats right.....being in Brewer country if it is retro uniform night or somekind of trivia they always use the Pilots.  That one is a classic in these parts on the jumbotron, in between inning trivia and on literature.

So waht are the two pending questions? 

I read the player on both teams?

Player with Glaucoma?  What is the question or is that just it? Regardless, until I hear the question Ill guess lirby Puckett the most famous glausoma ball player I have heard of in my time.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

retrojint

I looked at it from the wrong side. I only thought Yankees. It must be Pee Wee Reese. Wales way to go on Mincher.  Pretty fair power hitter especially for that era. Those numbers look like crap in today's game, but remember 68 was the absolute dregs for offense in the modern age of the game. They lowered the mound, contracted the strike zone and expanded the total number of teams following that season, which made it possible for somebody like Jim Bouton to hook on with another team, thereby getting more material for his book (s).

OK the second trivia question is going to require a certain Yankeephile. A certain genius that is way too out of my league.  He couples Einsteinian intellect with that classic Irish bent for the ironic. If he were to pat you on the back, you would include that on your resume. He once had an awkward moment, just to see what it felt like. He is simply the most interesting person in the world........he doesn't always drink beer but when he does........he is The Big Hitter Da Lama. This situation requires him.

bighitterdalama

Steve,

First off, I did check the Pilots player list. Given the high turnover of an expansion team's roster, I though that checking the players names would not be cheating (specially for a player who had a "cameo" appearance).

I checked the list for Yankee castoffs from the '65-'68 era. Among note was one of the innumerable "next Mickey Mantles" that never made it. I believe that he played quite a bit for the 1969 Ms so I eliminated him from consideration. Your mention of "Irish" at first threw me off until I re-read your post and realized it applied to me and not the player. I then reread the list and found a certain player of note whose nationality is the same as you on your mother's side. We watched this player in action at the Old Big Mac. I believe that this gentleman later coached for for the Yankees. His name is similar to a famous sports car.

Did I get it?

Big Hitter

dasher

Is the Porsche's middle name Dennis?

New question-
For 5 consecutive seasons, the Cy Young award was won by a pitcher from one city. What was the city, and who were the pitchers?