News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Slayton skips workout, seeks new deal

Started by Stringer Bell, April 17, 2024, 06:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stringer Bell

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39963826/giants-leading-receiver-darius-slayton-skips-workouts-seeks-new-deal

My feelings on Slayton are identical to Saquon. I'm fine bringing him back on team-friendly terms but am not interested in committing to him long term or at full-market rates.

Slayton has been consistent, sure, but he's still a #3 WR on a good team, and he's not someone I'm looking to spend big money on. The team needs a true #1 and to carve out reps for Hyatt and Wan'dale.

I say let Slayton play out his contract and let him test the FA waters after the season.

Giant Obsession

Keep skipping Slayton.  The UFL and CFL always need roster fodder WR with no separation (except for the occasional fly pattern)and hands that ...well let's be nice....have a tendency to be suspect.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

It's costing Slayton $350K to skip those workouts.  With all this talk of the Giants drafting a true number-one WR, I suspect Slayton is concerned about his long-term future.  His numbers could be way down this season if the new WR, Hyatt, and Robinson take the lion's share of the receiver snaps
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 17, 2024, 06:43:31 PMIt's costing Slayton $350K to skip those workouts.  With all this talk of the Giants drafting a true number-one WR, I suspect Slayton is concerned about his long-term future.  His numbers could be way down this season if the new WR, Hyatt, and Robinson take the lion's share of the receiver snaps

I think he will potentially be traded during the draft. 

DaveBrown74

Slayton is a "meh" player. A classic JAG (just a guy).

Giants fans may like him because he's been on the team for several years and is decent, but he's far from special. He would not be difficult to replace. I have no problem with him, but I also have no interest in stretching financially (above fair market value) to keep him here.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 17, 2024, 08:57:25 PMSlayton is a "meh" player. A classic JAG (just a guy).

Giants fans may like him because he's been on the team for several years and is decent, but he's far from special. He would not be difficult to replace. I have no problem with him, but I also have no interest in stretching financially (above fair market value) to keep him here.
I didn't think he was worth the 2 yr 12 million he got. Love was the exact same price tag and 10× the player and we chose Slayton.

Painter

It's not hard to see why given that the $350K workout bonus is small change when he compares his current 2024 $6.2 million contract to those of others: e.g., Gabe Davis and Darnell Mooney who have been less productive yet are paid more than twice as much.

Slayton has had between 724 and 770 yards per as the Giants leading WR for 4 of the past 5 seasons while during that time his 15.1 yards per reception are fourth most among the 79 pass-catchers with 200-plus receptions. But chances are he now is concerned that if, as is likely, the Giants add a much more highly rated, and productive WR1 to go with the still developing Hyatt and Robinson, it will be at the expense of his production and future with the team.

And if so, good luck and best wishes to him.

Cheers!

Trench

See ya Slay....tou ain't worth it. Too many drops for my liking. Either you are in or you are out. Don't show up and I say you're a diva. See ya

EDjohnst1981

I think he's reached his ceiling and is replaceable. However, a lot of people say you can get a good RB late in the draft and the Giants haven't hit on one since Bradshaw - despite giving it a go.

Sometimes it's better the devil you know. Tough choice for JS and company.

Philosophers

He's the most at risk of loss in playing time should Nabers or Odunze be drafted.

MightyGiants

I suspect Slayton would be less confirmed if this wasn't the final year of his contract.   Slayton needs to have a productive season if he wants to get a decent third contract.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I think he'll get paid handsomely by another team.

He was a good soldier for us. One of the few bright spots we had.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on April 18, 2024, 09:32:00 AMI think he'll get paid handsomely by another team.

He was a good soldier for us. One of the few bright spots we had.

I think Slayton is underappreciated.   As @Painter mentioned, Slayton has quietly been the leading WR for 4 of the past 5 seasons. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Slayton is a solid stretch the defense guy.  He is not a #1 or X or however you want to state it.  As the Giants leading receiver in 4 of the last 5 years, he is being covered by guys that cover #1s and has still been productive on a team that hasnt had good pass protection or consistent QB play.  I think he is trade bait at some point, be it during the draft or afterwards. 

There are some teams with good QBs who are currently lacking WR talent and if they get their #1 in the draft, he could be an excellent complement.  Or if they lose out on a 3rd rounder they coveted. 

At the same time I dont think the Giants should give him a multi-year deal with 50% or more guaranteed. 

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 18, 2024, 10:35:06 AMSlayton is a solid stretch the defense guy.  He is not a #1 or X or however you want to state it.  As the Giants leading receiver in 4 of the last 5 years, he is being covered by guys that cover #1s and has still been productive on a team that hasnt had good pass protection or consistent QB play.  I think he is trade bait at some point, be it during the draft or afterwards. 

There are some teams with good QBs who are currently lacking WR talent and if they get their #1 in the draft, he could be an excellent complement.  Or if they lose out on a 3rd rounder they coveted. 

At the same time I dont think the Giants should give him a multi-year deal with 50% or more guaranteed.

Do you think good QB play and good OL play would elevate Slayton's play further or is he sort of maxed out and at his ceiling?  In another words, can he become a very good X?