News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The the Ps of quarterback support

Started by MightyGiants, April 18, 2024, 08:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

For the past couple of years, you have probably heard me talk about my concept of the three pillars of quarterback support-  coaching, pass protection, and receiving targets.

This draft season you might have heard me talk about how that infrastructure is a very important part of the success of a drafted QB.

A big smile came across my face when I listened to Daniel Jeremiah's latest national draft conference call.

First, he made reference to the "three Ps of QB support, playing caller, protection, and playmakers."

He also mentioned that in his discussions of teams, they are more focused on whether their team is ready (having the 3 Ps in place) to develop a quarterback if they draft one.

You can listen to the podcast here

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0OFYuhn1SH4N66R1acepfT
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

How is a strong running game not included?

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on April 18, 2024, 09:17:17 AMHow is a strong running game not included?
I'm guessing it doesn't begin with the letter 'P'...  :-??
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on April 18, 2024, 09:17:17 AMHow is a strong running game not included?

I think the benefits of a strong running game are not of the same magnitude as the three Ps.  I think perhaps the biggest benefit of a strong running game is that if you have an RB who is more of a consistent yardage generator (that RB who consistently gets 4 or 5 yards), the QB will face less obvious passing situations.  This is less of a benefit if the RB is less consistent and has many carries with no (or little yardage) or, worse, negative yardage.

Another thing that one might think would be a benefit, more effective play action plays, has not stood up to study.  Analytic people have crunched the numbers and found the benefits of play action are independent of how effective the running game is.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

According to Daniel Jeremiah, his third pillar is "Playmakers" and that would definitely include running backs.

londonblue

Quote from: WheresDayne on April 18, 2024, 10:59:58 AMAccording to Daniel Jeremiah, his third pillar is "Playmakers" and that would definitely include running backs.

A strong running game also benefits pass protection as it alters how teams defend against you and puts you in fewer third and long obvious blitz situations.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

Rich - I simply can't buy that.  With a great OL and strong running game you can win with average WRs as they can always eventually get open with great pass blocking.  A great running game does not allow a DL to just focus on getting to the QB.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on April 18, 2024, 11:42:35 AMRich - I simply can't buy that.  With a great OL and strong running game you can win with average WRs as they can always eventually get open with great pass blocking.  A great running game does not allow a DL to just focus on getting to the QB.

Take Eli Manning:

Here are Manning's stats by year.  Consider two years.  In 2014, the Giants added OBJ, and in 2018, the Giants added Barkley.  Look at Eli's QB rating, and QBR jumps from the two additions.   The addition of OBJ had a much greater impact on Eli's production than the addition of Barkley.  Be mindful that early in his career, Barkley was a much bigger weapon in the passing game.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

The problem in all this is that you can't conveniently put pillars together in the order you might want. If you are drafting high and you need a QB but have weaknesses in the other categories do you pass on the QB, build up those pillars and hope (because that's all you got) that some year you'll find the QB to fit into that program.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 18, 2024, 11:59:15 AMTake Eli Manning:

Here are Manning's stats by year.  Consider two years.  In 2014, the Giants added OBJ, and in 2018, the Giants added Barkley.  Look at Eli's QB rating, and QBR jumps from the two additions.   The addition of OBJ had a much greater impact on Eli's production than the addition of Barkley.  Be mindful that early in his career, Barkley was a much bigger weapon in the passing game.

Rich - you can't draw a conclusion from one example.  The Giants OL when they drafted Barkley was not as effective which was why so many of us were screaming for Nelson to be drafted for OL.

AZGiantFan

I could be wrong, but a strong running game is indicative of a(n at least) competent OL which I imagine would carry over to competent pass protection.  Are there teams that have a strong running game that have serious pass protection problems?  I don't know the answer.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

4 Aces

That's a great way of articulating it.

I've been saying this for a long time, in "defense" of Jones.

You can get by with a bad OL and good skill players, or a good OL with bad skill players. But you won't get by with a bad OL & bad skills. NFL is too good for that.

MightyGiants

Quote from: 4 Aces on April 18, 2024, 07:01:35 PMThat's a great way of articulating it.

You can get by with a bad OL and good skill players, or a good OL with bad skill players. But you won't get by with a bad OL & bad skills. NFL is too good for that.

I agree, you can get by if you have least 2 out of 3 of the pillars.   It's nearly impossible to get by with one, and it is impossible to get with none.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: 4 Aces on April 18, 2024, 07:01:35 PMThat's a great way of articulating it.

I do not believe for a second you can get by with a bad OL and good skill position players.  The OL drives everything.