News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can the Giants ever win a SB with Barkley taking 90% of the snaps

Started by BluesCruz, May 25, 2023, 08:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

He is no Jim Brown.

The Giants need to rotate their RBs PERIOD.

Barkley will be fine in a rotation.  As a solitary back he ran out of gas in the second half of a long greuling season.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 08:01:42 AMHe is no Jim Brown.

Barkley will be fine in a rotation.  As a solitary back he ran out of gas in the second half of a long greuling season.

I doubt very much he'll carry the same load this season as last season. We have a lot more options to move the ball. The biggest advantage we have with Barkley on the field, is that it forces the defense to scheme around him. In so doing, it opens up a lot of other offensive plays. Not many players in the NFL can single-handedly affect the defense as much as Saquon. But to your point, we won't go all the way if Saquon touches the ball in 90% of our plays. That will never happen with Kafka and Daboll overseeing the game plan
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

kingm56

Yeah...splitting the workload with Matt B is the key to the Giants winning a SB  /sarcasm/

Barkley was the Giants only legitimate offense weapon for multiple seasons; he was on the field a lot because the Giants had no better options.  However, Barkleys workload has nothing to do with the Giants ability to win a SB. 

MightyGiants

I think it's worth looking at the PFF grades for the RBs

Breada

69.5- overall
-
77.1- running
56.7- receiving
69.4- pass blocking
50.5- run blocking

Barkley

80.3- overall
-
84.9- running
58.4- receiving
71.3- pass blocking
56.2- run blocking

Brightwell

67.7 - overall
-
64.6- running
63.4- receiving
78.1- pass blocking
77.1- run blocking

Eric Gray (last year in college)

90.6- overall
-
92.4- running grade
83.2- receiving grade

I could see Gray taking some 3rd down and obvious passing down snaps if he proves he can protect DJ effectively.

Beyond Gray, there is a major dropoff after Barkley
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Barkley taking snaps wasn't the issue as much as no real threat to pass the ball down field. 

If he is on the field for snaps and it's a play action or he is a tertiary option in the passing game or a blocker it's not the same as he and Jones being a running duo that is the biggest offensive threat the team has. 

Barkley was worn down because he was literally the only playmaker on the field and was the only player on the offense that opposing defenses showed any concern.  That type of role would even have worn down Jim Brown against today's defenses with 17 game schedule.

Barkley has proven multiple times, from the NO OT game to the 2pt conversion against TN, that he carried this limited offense.

His amount of touches should go down this year with what should hopefully be a more balanced offense.

BluesCruz

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 25, 2023, 08:36:21 AMBarkley taking snaps wasn't the issue as much as no real threat to pass the ball down field. 

If he is on the field for snaps and it's a play action or he is a tertiary option in the passing game or a blocker it's not the same as he and Jones being a running duo that is the biggest offensive threat the team has. 

Barkley was worn down because he was literally the only playmaker on the field and was the only player on the offense that opposing defenses showed any concern.  That type of role would even have worn down Jim Brown against today's defenses with 17 game schedule.

Barkley has proven multiple times, from the NO OT game to the 2pt conversion against TN, that he carried this limited offense.

His amount of touches should go down this year with what should hopefully be a more balanced offense.

LOL mentioning Brown and Barkley in the same reply is not appealing to me.

I am old enough to have watched Brown.  He was the closest thing to Superman that ever carried the ball

Think LT on offense

As for Rich's reply.  Id like to see nuanced comparisons on 1st and 2nd down.  Barkley is a dancer.  Brightwell and Brieda are slashers....no hesitation   I like that and rarely see it from Barkley

Gray is the shiftyest RB i've ever seen on film.....maybe Gayle Sayers was more elusive

Lets use them all....were paying them, lets see what they bring to the party.

Like everyone else I love seeing Barkley take off into the secondary or leaping into the endzone

He has issues on the tough grinding yards though.

Brown had no such issues.  As Sam Huff famously said "you just have to hold on and wait for help" LOL

uconnjack8

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 09:05:39 AMLOL mentioning Brown and Barkley in the same reply is not appealing to me.

I am old enough to have watched Brown.  He was the closest thing to Superman that ever carried the ball

Think LT on offense

As for Rich's reply.  Id like to see nuanced comparisons on 1st and 2nd down.  Barkley is a dancer.  Brightwell and Brieda are slashers....no hesitation   I like that and rarely see it from Barkley

Gray is the shiftyest RB i've ever seen on film.....maybe Gayle Sayers was more elusive

Lets use them all....were paying them, lets see what they bring to the party.

Like everyone else I love seeing Barkley take off into the secondary or leaping into the endzone

He has issues on the tough grinding yards though.

Brown had no such issues.  As Sam Huff famously said "you just have to hold on and wait for help" LOL

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 08:01:42 AMHe is no Jim Brown.

You started the thread mentioning Jim Brown but mentioning him doesn't appeal to you? 

BluesCruz

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 25, 2023, 09:08:13 AMYou started the thread mentioning Jim Brown but mentioning him doesn't appeal to you? 

Fair enough but they are not comparable.  Not even close.  In any era Jim Brown in his prime would still be Superman

uconnjack8

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 09:15:15 AMFair enough but they are not comparable.  Not even close.  In any era Jim Brown in his prime would still be Superman

I agree Brown is the best RB ever, but I doubt he would have been anywhere near as dominant today as he was then.  Guys today are much faster and stronger than then and this is a whole other debate. 

PSUBeirut

Such a silly question and thread for lots of reasons, with the first being:

You ask if the Giants can ever win a SB with Barkley taking 90% of snaps.  Then say he is no Jim Brown.  Please tell me you see the irony there.

Ok....just in case you don't.  Here are some fun facts for you to consider:
Jim Brown never won a Super Bowl. 
Jim Brown NEVER came close to 90% rushing attempts...in any season of his entire storied career. 
Jim Brown shared the backfield with some pretty impressive RBs you've evidently never even heard of.  I'm not shocked. 
Jim Brown never played more than a 14 game season.

Well done.  =D>

BluesCruz

Quote from: PSUBeirut on May 25, 2023, 09:33:30 AMSuch a silly question and thread for lots of reasons, with the first being:

You ask if the Giants can ever win a SB with Barkley taking 90% of snaps.  Then say he is no Jim Brown.  Please tell me you see the irony there.

Ok....just in case you don't.  Here are some fun facts for you to consider:
Jim Brown never won a Super Bowl. 
Jim Brown NEVER came close to 90% rushing attempts...in any season of his entire storied career. 
Jim Brown shared the backfield with some pretty impressive RBs you've evidently never even heard of.  I'm not shocked. 
Jim Brown never played more than a 14 game season.

Well done.  =D>

Did you ever watch Jim Brown?  I doubt it

As for the Browns they won an NFL championship.....there was no Super Bowl then

And they had to contend with Green Bay and Lombardi in another Championship game- tall task

kingm56

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 09:41:55 AMDid you ever watch Jim Brown?  I doubt it

And they had to contend with Green Bay and Lombardi in another Championship game- tall task

I'm confused, is Jim brown relative to the conversation or not?  Barkley is no Jim brown; as it stands, the former is not even close to a HoF candidate.

Jclayton92

Barkley was Injured halfway through the season around week 10. Which had a lot to do with his drop off in production, that and him taking more snaps than any other RB in the league.

He was Gassed, and they still refused to use Breida and Brightwell, so there goes your Brieada and Brightwell fantasy. One is a gimmick receiving option and the other won't even make the team this season.

Rambo89

Quote from: kingm56 on May 25, 2023, 08:24:45 AMYeah...splitting the workload with Matt B is the key to the Giants winning a SB  /sarcasm/

Barkley was the Giants only legitimate offense weapon for multiple seasons; he was on the field a lot because the Giants had no better options.  However, Barkleys workload has nothing to do with the Giants ability to win a SB. 

Exactly, with a passing game that was a bottom third of the league in passing of course Barkley was going to have the offense revolve around him.  Without him they would have been the worst offense in football.  His workload will change when the Giants passing game improves which you hope it will this season.

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 25, 2023, 09:41:55 AMDid you ever watch Jim Brown?  I doubt it

This isn't the 1960's the NFL game has evolved where the RB is less important and don't have a long shelf life with how much bigger the players on defense are with the poundings they take.  So not sure how Jim Brown is relevant when talking about Barkley.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

UncannyGfan

If the Giants make the Superbowl, yea more snaps for Barkley in that game is a winning strategy. 

To get to the Superbowl, they'll definitely need to reduce his snap count over the course of the season.