News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does TIki Barber belong in the HOF?

Started by MightyGiants, May 29, 2023, 09:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Coach Greg Schiano the HC of Rutgers (and former NFL coach) thinks so

"You mentioned your brother man, awesome, awesome player and I learned a lot from him. I really enjoyed coaching him. Now going into the Hall of Fame," Schiano said on Friday during his interview on WFAN.

"And you should be next – I ain't kidding you.! When you look  – you know only a few people know it 10,000 rushing yards, 5,000 receiving, 1,000 return and no one's ever done that in the National Football League. So I'm going to,start the Tiki for the gold jacket."

https://rutgerswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/29/canton-bound-greg-schiano-says-that-new-york-giants-legend-tiki-barber-should-be-in-the-hall-of-fame/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

There's an argument for that. Also for the HOF of Locker Room Cancers.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

I think if he had stayed two or three more years and had the same production as his final few seasons, he would get in.

As it stands, his number of top production seasons aren't enough to get him in.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

I think it's tough with Tiki. I don't think he's quite there, myself.

HOF is always about how you did versus your contemporaries from a total production perspective, and although Tiki was very good overall and elite in a small handful of years, from a total production perspective he was a clear cut below the other truly top guys playing at that time. Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, Jerome Bettis, and Eddie George are just a few examples of guys who played during that time who have much better totals overall.

To put Tiki in would be to be putting him in solely because of that small handful of seasons he had late in his career and kind of looking the other way at his total numbers. Unfortunately for him, it doesn't really work that way.

BluesCruz

Comparing Tiki to the "Gold Standard"- Jim Brown the GOAT......Tiki is fairly comparable Stats wise

Both were controversial figures.  Brown led Tiki 5.2 YPC to 4.7.  Both ran for about 10000 plus yards yards Brown topping Tiki 12,312 to Tiki's 10,449
Tiki's single game rushing record was 234 yds to Browns top game- 237 yds rushing
Tiki's Receiving Yds were around 5000 to Browns 2500

Brown had a big edge in TDs 106 for Brown to 68 for Tiki

Tiki Played 10 Years, Brown 9 Years.  Both ended their careers in their primes and terrific final years
Both left with fans wondering what if they continued on and both left for the entertainment industry

Both left in excellent physical shape and were relatively indestructable in a very violent game, with virtually no injuries in 10 years of NFL football.  Brown retired at 29 yrs old....Tiki retire at 31 but played 10 seasons to Browns 9 seasons.

They both you could say went out on top.

Based on this comparison, all politics and personal opinions about personalities aside.  Tiki should go in with his brother IMHO.

Tiki Barber

Tiki Barber played 10 seasons for the Giants. He had 2,217 carries for 10,449 yards, 586 catches for 5,183 yards and scored 68 touchdowns. He was selected to play in 3 Pro Bowls.

Jim Brown

In his professional career, Brown carried the ball 2,359 times for 12,312 rushing yards and 106 touchdowns, which were all records when he retired. He averaged 104.3 rushing yards per game, and is the only player in NFL history to average over 100 rushing yards per game for his career.

In addition to his rushing, Brown was a superb receiver out of the backfield, catching 262 passes for 2,499 yards and 20 touchdowns, while also adding another 628 yards returning kickoffs.
Every season he played, Brown was voted into the Pro Bowl, and he left the league in style by scoring three touchdowns in his final Pro Bowl game. Perhaps the most amazing feat is that he accomplished these records despite not playing past 29 years of age. Brown's 6 games with at least 4 touchdowns remains an NFL record. Brown led the league in rushing a record eight times. He was also the first NFL player ever to rush for over 10,000 yards.

In addition to his rushing, Brown was a superb receiver out of the backfield, catching 262 passes for 2,499 yards and 20 touchdowns, while also adding another 628 yards returning kickoffs.
Every season he played, Brown was voted into the Pro Bowl

A lot of Giants fans do not like Tiki but its undeniable he was the Giants best RB of all time 
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on May 29, 2023, 11:03:24 AMI think if he had stayed two or three more years and had the same production as his final few seasons, he would get in.

Tim,

Do you think if he stuck around for one more year and got a Super Bowl ring that could have pushed him over the top?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2023, 12:00:48 PMTim,

Do you think if he stuck around for one more year and got a Super Bowl ring that could have pushed him over the top?
Not to butt in but I think that would have done it for him if he didn't take the locker room down and then they never win a SB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on May 29, 2023, 11:03:24 AMI think if he had stayed two or three more years and had the same production as his final few seasons, he would get in.

I'm with you, Tim; he needed one or two more seasons of his 05/06 production.  Having said that, Tiki Barber remains the most fluid runner I've seen in person.  Yes, even more fluid than Barkley.  Barber literally ran as if he was on skis. It was incredible...

BluesCruz

Quote from: kingm56 on May 29, 2023, 12:39:19 PMI'm with you, Tim; he needed one or two more seasons of his 05/06 production.  Having said that, Tiki Barber remains the most fluid runner I've seen in person.  Yes, even more fluid than Barkley.  Barber literally ran as if he was on skis. It was incredible...
I agree his skating style was similar to Eric Dickersons
Yet he followed his blockers like Walter Payton

He left with nothing to prove much like Brown

2 more years for either guy would not have changed much in terms of evaluating them

DaveBrown74

So we're comparing Tiki to Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, and Jim Brown now?

Ok then.

kingm56

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 29, 2023, 12:54:21 PMI agree his skating style was similar to Eric Dickersons
Yet he followed his blockers like Walter Payton

He left with nothing to prove much like Brown

2 more years for either guy would not have changed much in terms of evaluating them

What??  I doubt you've seen both rbs live...they're running styles were NOTHING alike.  Dickerson ran like a prize horse, with long strides and high knees...Barber was the exact opposite. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 29, 2023, 12:33:02 PMNot to butt in but I think that would have done it for him if he didn't take the locker room down and then they never win a SB.

That is a fair point and an interesting dynamic.   Would the improved version of Coughlin been able to reach Tiki like he did with Stahan? Would Tiki's ego derailed the team.   We will never know, but it's interesting speculation.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 29, 2023, 12:57:13 PMSo we're comparing Tiki to Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, and Jim Brown now?

Ok then.

Not following you.  I just said their styles were similar.
Every RB is different

Dickerson seemed to glide through traffic was what I was specifically noting. 
Right Dickerson upright body positioning was unique.   Dont recall ever seeing anyone else running like Eric

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2023, 01:28:33 PMThat is a fair point and an interesting dynamic.  Would the improved version of Coughlin been able to reach Tiki like he did with Stahan? Would Tiki's ego derailed the team.  We will never know, but it's interesting speculation.
Don't forget Shockey was his tag team partner. My speculation is that Tiki didn't see any way that the team would be winning a Championship with Eli Manning and Colonel Coughlin and didn't want to put his body through any damage that might afflict him in later years. So he retired while the iron was hot for a broadcasting career.

There was a time when I loved Tiki the player and so did the fan base but then his ego got huge and he felt entitled to speak without a filter not caring who he hurt. Not a team player and in the end, team prevailed without him.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Well Tiki is worth 93 million, according to the internet

Has a very good sports talk show on cable

Seems in good health and spirits

All in all I would not mind being Tiki

He left on the top of his game

his final year-
NFL   16   16   327   1,662   5.08   103.9   55t   5   78   
Thats rushing alone

Add 465 yds receiving

Thats how you finish off a career

He and Coughlin were bumping heads and Tiki saw a future in broadcasting

Time to cut Tiki a break.  He was/is human

Id rather remember Tiki for what he accomplished on the field.  He didnt shoot himself for goodness sakes.  That was unbelievable....

All geniuses are a bit eccentric

Brown left arguing with his Owner Blanton Collier about reporting to camp late

Lets let bygones be bygones

10 years is enough to judge Tiki's genius on the field

This is a good read

This from an article in PFF

"The NFL's version of Marisa Tomei, Barber aged insanely well compared to your typical pro running back. In fact, Barber's 6,613 scrimmage yards during his age 29-31 seasons led all other running backs in the league over that span. We're talking in-their-prime guys like Tomlinson, Edgerrin James, Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Brian Westbrook, Steven Jackson and so on. Will we ever see another Tiki Barber? Only time will tell. Remarkably, during that three-year span he put the ball on the ground only nine times total, which happened to match his average over the previous four seasons. In his final campaign, Barber ranked fourth in rushing yards, yards per carry, and yards after contact. That, folks, is how you ride off into the sunset."