News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does TIki Barber belong in the HOF?

Started by MightyGiants, May 29, 2023, 09:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

I will say this, he'd have a much better chance if he was a likable person. He's got enough baggage that it probably will never happen.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2023, 12:00:48 PMTim,

Do you think if he stuck around for one more year and got a Super Bowl ring that could have pushed him over the top?
Depends on what kind of season he had. If he had a 1000+ yard season, he would have a stronger case. If he had pedestrian numbers in a SB year, I think he'd have to put together a 1500-2000 yards from scrimmage season to solidify it.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kartanoman

The sanity check of a Hall of Famer: Can you write about the history of the NFL without mentioning the individual's name?

In 2005-06, Shawn Alexander was the central figure when it came to running backs. There was a bit of sentiment regarding Tiki's magnificent performance but it ultimately fell short when it came to the rushing title. I think if Tiki would have prevailed in winning the title in either 2005 or 2006, even without a Super Bowl win he's a serious candidate for the Hall of Fame.

He has an impressive credential list but it may need some PR and a few voters in his corner to even have a halfway chance of getting in.

Regardless of what anyone's opinion is of his person outside the sport, inside it he is, at best, an outside fringe chance of ever getting in. Not to take anything away from what was an outstanding career and one which made him the all-time leading rusher for the Giants, but the odds are not in his favor of ever getting in.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

uconnjack8

Has Tiki even been a semifinalist in the voting? 

I don't think he is a HOFer, but more importantly he doesn't seem to even be on the radar of the people that vote.

MightyGiants

For what it's worth, here is Tiki's case for the HOF

Career highlights and awards
First-team All-Pro (2005)
3× Pro Bowl (2004–2006)

Giants franchise records
As of 2018, Tiki Barber held at least 22 Giants franchise records, including:

Most Rush Attempts (career): 2,217
Most Rush Attempts (season): 357 (2005)
Most Rush Yards (career): 10,449
Most Rush Yards (season): 1,860 (2005)
Most Rush Yards (game): 234 (2006-12-30 @WAS)
Most Rush Yds/Att (career): 4.71
Most Rush Yds/Att (playoff season): 5.27 (2006)
Most Rush Yds/Game (career): 67.9
Most Rush Yds/Game (season): 116.3 (2005)
Most Rush Yds/Game (playoff season): 137 (2006)
Most Yds from Scrimmage (career): 15,632
Most Yds from Scrimmage (season): 2,390 (2005)
Most Yds from Scrimmage (game): 258 (2006-12-30 @WAS)
Most Yds from Scrimmage (playoff career): 671
Most All Purpose Yds (career): 17,359
Most All Purpose Yds (season): 2,390 (2005)
Most All Purpose Yds (game): 258 (2006-12-30 @WAS)
Most Punt Ret Yds (season): 506 (1999)
Most 100+ yard rushing games (career): 40
Most 100+ yard rushing games (season): 9 (2004 and 2006; tied with Joe Morris)
Most 100+ yard rushing games (playoffs): 2 (tied with Ottis Anderson and Joe Morris)
Most 1000+ rushing yard seasons (career): 6
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

While I think the weight behind this is becoming less and less, given that it's a popularity contest mostly, a single All-Pro and 3x Pro Bowl is pretty meager for any Hall of Famer.  I don't think most HOF voters give a crap about what Tiki did outside of football, nor would they hold his "comical" comments against him when evaluating his career.  He simply doesn't have enough to get in.  And that's okay.  He's still the greatest running back to suit up for Big Blue.  I forgave Tiki for any transgressions long ago, and I find his latest interviews refreshingly honest. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: zephirus on May 30, 2023, 09:54:42 AMWhile I think the weight behind this is becoming less and less, given that it's a popularity contest mostly, a single All-Pro and 3x Pro Bowl is pretty meager for any Hall of Famer.  I don't think most HOF voters give a crap about what Tiki did outside of football, nor would they hold his "comical" comments against him when evaluating his career.  He simply doesn't have enough to get in.  And that's okay.  He's still the greatest running back to suit up for Big Blue.  I forgave Tiki for any transgressions long ago, and I find his latest interviews refreshingly honest. 

It's a shame the HOF does have a popularity element to it.  I have said over the years; the HOF needs to define the criteria of what a HOF player is.   I doubt that would happen.  I suspect the HOF voters like having no criteria because it gives them more power than they should have.  If you define what it means to be a HOF football player, suddenly, the voters would be forced to consider defined criteria rather than championing and voting for whomever catches their fancy.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 30, 2023, 10:13:30 AMIt's a shame the HOF does have a popularity element to it.  I have said over the years; the HOF needs to define the criteria of what a HOF player is.   I doubt that would happen.  I suspect the HOF voters like having no criteria because it gives them more power than they should have.  If you define what it means to be a HOF football player, suddenly, the voters would be forced to consider defined criteria rather than championing and voting for whomever catches their fancy.

How could you define what makes a HOFer at all positions? In my opinion it would be a mistake to create such framework.

If the NFL is not planning on changing the rules for how many players get in per year, how would you decide who gets in when 7 guys have the qualifications?

I think there is some level of "popularity contest" to it, but I don't think that is a very big factor.  I think at most it makes a guy like TO wait a year.

babywhales

Tiki was on the path to be a lock HOF player.

Your average HOF RB has 10991 yards and 86 TD's, Tiki is at 10,449 and 63 TD's.  Tiki was a hel of a receiver as well adding another 5,183 and 12Tds.

Playing one more season and he was a lock IMO.

It might have cost the Giants the title in 2007 but Tiki would have been a lock.

I think of it  like this, Tiki was a HOF caliber player but did not have a HOF caliber career by decisions he made.

In 2004, 2005, and 2006 he was playing at another level; however, 3 great seasons simply isn't enough for the HOF.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

DaveBrown74

I don't think Tiki is some universally disliked figure the way Terrell Owens was. The dislike is mainly from Giants fans, who were offended by his harsh words about Coughlin and Eli and then subsequently viewed him as a bit of a clown when he proved dead-wrong with his criticisms. It's not like this guy was universally considered a jerk around the league when he was playing, the way a TO or a Moss was. So I don't think any of that is even a minor reason why he isn't in or won't get in. He's not going to get in because you need to have a HOF career to get into the HOF. You can't just play like a HOF'er for 2-3 years and have that be enough.

Giant Jim

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 29, 2023, 11:59:44 AMComparing Tiki to the "Gold Standard"- Jim Brown the GOAT......Tiki is fairly comparable Stats wise....

I don't care what the stats say, Barber wasn't close to the player Jim Brown was. If running backs had to be close to as good as Brown to get into the Hall, OJ Simpson would be the only other RB in it.

Ron Johnson was the best Giant RB I saw, run, block, receive, he did it all. But he was hampered by injuries most seasons. Barber carried the team for several seasons and was the Giants best player along with Michael Strahan during his prime. For that, I think he should be in.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 30, 2023, 12:23:35 PMI don't think Tiki is some universally disliked figure the way Terrell Owens was. The dislike is mainly from Giants fans, who were offended by his harsh words about Coughlin and Eli and then subsequently viewed him as a bit of a clown when he proved dead-wrong with his criticisms. It's not like this guy was universally considered a jerk around the league when he was playing, the way a TO or a Moss was. So I don't think any of that is even a minor reason why he isn't in or won't get in. He's not going to get in because you need to have a HOF career to get into the HOF. You can't just play like a HOF'er for 2-3 years and have that be enough.

Jeff, I think most people outside of the Giants fandom don't like or love Tiki, but I don't think they dislike him either.   I don't think Tiki's on-air persona was all that compelling beyond airing Giant's dirty laundry.  I got a sense Tiki didn't really put the time and effort into the job but rather thought his smarts would simply carry him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 30, 2023, 12:23:35 PMI don't think Tiki is some universally disliked figure the way Terrell Owens was. The dislike is mainly from Giants fans, who were offended by his harsh words about Coughlin and Eli and then subsequently viewed him as a bit of a clown when he proved dead-wrong with his criticisms. It's not like this guy was universally considered a jerk around the league when he was playing, the way a TO or a Moss was. So I don't think any of that is even a minor reason why he isn't in or won't get in. He's not going to get in because you need to have a HOF career to get into the HOF. You can't just play like a HOF'er for 2-3 years and have that be enough.

I think the unlikability factor can play a role even if it wasn't universal.  As I understand it the selectors meet and discuss the eligible players.  Players have advocates who argue and make the case for their guy.  Probably associated in some way with their guy's team.  So if Tiki alienated selectors that are Giants connected he may not have anyone pushing strongly for him.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 30, 2023, 01:52:40 PMI think the unlikability factor can play a role even if it wasn't universal.  As I understand it the selectors meet and discuss the eligible players.  Players have advocates who argue and make the case for their guy.  Probably associated in some way with their guy's team.  So if Tiki alienated selectors that are Giants connected he may not have anyone pushing strongly for him.

Do you think Tiki's total career warrants Hall of Fame status?

BluesCruz

Tiki definitely deserves to be in the HOF

Look at some of the RBs in there.  He is at least comparable if not better than a lot of them.

In the end I'm sure he will survive quite nicely as things stand.

Personally, I agree with his statements that Coughlin was tough to work for (didnt Strahan organize a revolt when Tom 1st took over) and a baby faced Eli might have had some issues commanding a huddle with so many grizzled veterans on the 2005 offense.

I can see where others might disagree but the fan reaction was over-board if you ask me.

I doubt anyone will even approach Tiki's NY Giants offensive records in my lifetime

Tiki has had many complimentary things to say about Tom and Eli and I would hope people would calm down about a few things said that maybe were better not said.

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"