News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

As ever. Thanks for the detailed round-up boys.

I'm looking forward to the Boston test on Friday.

DaveBrown74

I love games where my team is down in the third period (or 4th quarter in football or basketball or 8th/9th inning in baseball) and then wins in regulation. Sure, you'd rather they just win in dominant fashion every game, but that all but never happens, even with elite teams. These come from behind wins are great.

As for Panarin: enjoy the ride, but it's all for naught if he disappears in the playoffs yet again. Unfortunately this trend with him goes back to his Columbus days. He needs to figure it out this year. He's running out of years where he is going to be capable of playing at this level.

Delighted with Vesey's performance last night. What a night!

Jaime

We sure put up a stinker :boooo:
We're up 2 -0 middle of the 2nd. We're playing a strong road game.
Krides takes a perfect pass that has him all alone in front of the Goalie and he gets stuffed with a leg save.
Then we give up five unanswered Goals. The 5th was an empty netter that we gave up on a PP thanks to a stupid ass no-look pass between his legs by Gustufsan (sp?). Maybe the worst game Shesty has had as the Rangers Netminder. ~X( The first two he gave up were legit. the 2nd two he gave up were similar. He was on top of the Puck both times. #3 he pushed into the Goal, the other, he let a Player poke the Puck from underneath him into the Goal.

A tragic challange by Lavolette that was easily defeated, now we have tp kill off a PP. Redfaced
I sure hope we got that tragic game out of our system. :(  Next we're at the Igloo Weds. We then start three games in four days, with Boston being the 3rd game :goteam:

DaveBrown74

Ugly night. I'm not going to analyze it - just going to move on.

One comment though. And this isn't just about last night. I think we all have to admit the inconvenient truth that Shesty is simply not an elite goalie. He hasn't been this year, and he wasn't elite last year either. Last night was a bad game and he has had better nights than that this year, but let's face facts - the 37 year old Jon Quick has been better than him this year.

Now.. I don't think the above trend will last. I'm sure by the end of the season Shesty will have better numbers and will have been the better player. And I'm obviously not saying Shesty is bad. But when I look at what he was in 2021/22, and I compare it to now or even compare it to last year, he really is just a far cry from that. I'd love nothing more than for him to prove this criticism wrong and get back to what he was, but I'm just not seeing it, and I have to call it as I see it.

kartanoman

I think that Dallas isn't being given credit for a game well played. They skate and play fast, their screens in front of Igor were effective and their pressure put the Rangers on their heels.

Yes, the game got away from them in the third period but they weren't hoping to win every game.

You move on and deal with the gauntlet ahead of you: Pittsburgh tomorrow, Philly in Friday and a Boston Saturday matinee.

Forget Dallas. Try and bounce back against two division rivals in their rinks before measuring up against the best in the league.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jaime

I would start Quick at the Igloo. Give Shesty some time to work on his game with Benny (the Goaltending whisperer).

Also, during Pre-season(?) I commented that both Kakko and Laffy wouldn't measure up to being promoted by Lavolette to #1 RW Kakko and #2 RW Laffy. Well, I missed badly on my Laffy prognostication, he's been an effective  Player. Thus far, his game is light years beyond what we have ever seen from him. He's playing his Off- Wing being centered by Marchand who's really thrived in Chityl's absence. Bread is the 2nd Line LW and is off to a MVP season.
Chytil may have another concussion, the latest in a series of similar injuries. The fear here is this concussion could be career threating.
However, I've been spot on With Kakko's struggles. He's been demoted to the 3rd Line, replaced by (I think) Blake Wheeler. Unfortunately, Wheeler doesn't look to be a long term answer for #1 RW. So, as I previously mentioned, Drury will have to work his magic and find us a legit #1 RW.

DaveBrown74

Going to be tough tonight. Definitely a winnable game, but the way we looked in the last game after the fast start worries you a little about carry-over into this game. Pens and their annoying fans will be fired up to play us too. Will definitely be a hostile environment. Good test.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 22, 2023, 06:57:06 AMGoing to be tough tonight. Definitely a winnable game, but the way we looked in the last game after the fast start worries you a little about carry-over into this game. Pens and their annoying fans will be fired up to play us too. Will definitely be a hostile environment. Good test.
At Pitt, at Philly, home Boston matineé in consecutive days is a mini gauntlet.

Quickie tonight makes sense and let's see them put away an annoying rival to get back on track before facing another annoying old rival. I just want them to have some gas in the tank to give the Bruins a fair shot.

Quirky early schedule with five days off then five games in seven days. Makes the Western Canadian trip seem like a cakewalk.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Gmo11

Quick will definitely get a couple starts during this run of games and it does seem like Shesty is still finding his game a bit after the injury.  A lot of goals trickling in on shots he seems to have secured.  Some of that is bad luck but there's been a lot of that the past couple games.  He did flash that Vezina skill in his first game back after a shaky first period though so I think it's in there and he will find it again as the season goes along.  We got a long ways to go! 

babywhales

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 22, 2023, 10:00:33 AMQuick will definitely get a couple starts during this run of games and it does seem like Shesty is still finding his game a bit after the injury.  A lot of goals trickling in on shots he seems to have secured.  Some of that is bad luck but there's been a lot of that the past couple games.  He did flash that Vezina skill in his first game back after a shaky first period though so I think it's in there and he will find it again as the season goes along.  We got a long ways to go! 
I agree some of that is just lack of puck luck.

Tracking the puck comes in waves as well, sometimes it seems like a beachball, sometimes not so much.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 22, 2023, 10:00:33 AMQuick will definitely get a couple starts during this run of games and it does seem like Shesty is still finding his game a bit after the injury.  A lot of goals trickling in on shots he seems to have secured.  Some of that is bad luck but there's been a lot of that the past couple games.  He did flash that Vezina skill in his first game back after a shaky first period though so I think it's in there and he will find it again as the season goes along.  We got a long ways to go! 

Fair enough. Tough of me to judge him harshly right after an injury. I did think he wasn't as good last year as the year before, but the year before he was not only Vezzina but was even in the MVP discussion, so that's a tough bar to hold him to. Statistically speaking it was the best goaltending season in franchise history.

kartanoman

When you have a #2 who is playing as well as Quick is right now, take some of the pressure off Igor until he's ready to build back up again.

Quick hasn't lost a game yet this season and that should be a luxury for the Rangers, as well as Igor, to get back in the saddle when he's back to 100%. Even the kid from Hartford can be called back up and be counted on in a pinch.

Division rival games are always rough affairs and none more so than Pitt and Philly with Boston to top it off. Healthy and hot goaltending is of the essence.

Peace!

Jaime

Quick pitches his 60th Shut Out :o
Hank and Valley broke down Quick's game and how it has evolved for the 37 year old Netminder. Great stuff! Basically they marveled over how compact he stays, and his ability to play the exactly correct angle to the shooter.
Well, I'll be having a big slice of Humble Pie, again. Five mins. into the Game, Laffy takes a pass and gets a step on the last Pitt defender.
He pulls the Puck to his backhand, and throws the Puck over the shoulder of the Goalie. Yes, it was the same shot he used in the Shoot Out previously.
Pitt owned the first five mins until then.  Who knew that Laffy's Goal would be the Game Winner...

Tight checking ensued, with both Teams having quality chances. Trouba with some open ice bombs.  Pitt went 0-5 on the PP.
Quick made saves that I couldn't track the Puck on, but he did. We blocked alot of shots for Quick. Our 4th Line C and former Pitt player Bonino leads all F's in the NHL for Blocked Shots. Pitt did score, but Laviolette challenged on an Offside call and the Pitt Goal was disallowed.
Sid the Kid & Malkin had a few quality looks, but Quick stood tall in Net.
Heck of a W at the Igloo!!!

EDjohnst1981

Cracking win, just finished watching it on delay, as I'm on leave today. Quick was outstanding, really, really quick.

Laffy was very lively, could have scored two or three but for some excellent saves from Jarry.

PK didn't give them a sniff.

Great start to this mini gauntlet. 

kartanoman

Quickie!!!

Need I say more?

What a pickup this off-season! Play him until Igor gets back on track. The man is pro's pro and is hot right now. The team is also responding to him.

I'd say give him the start in Philly AND Boston. But I suspect both goalies will split the two games.

Peace!