News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Nice win. Jimmy "The Closer" Vesey gets another game winning goal, Igor bounces back and gets the win and the team overcame another hot goalie to find a way to a hard-earned win.

Detroit's head coach should have been given a game misconduct for whining after his player grabbed Cuylle's stick and whacked himself to initially drawing a double minor which was overturned after review. What a clown!

Nashville up next!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jaime

Anyone that has lost confidence in Shesty, fear not! The jaw-dropping saves he made in the 3rd say it all for those who were concerned (including me) bout Shesty's game #:-S
Bread his 12th, Miller's sweet 1 timer, and Vesey got a favorable ruling on a high stick challenge re; the Game Winning Goal. Vesey was a high scoring F at Harvard that struggled scoring when he came into the NHL.
He just notched his 5th tally of the season at the 1/4 mark.

Our "C" Jacob Trouba threw several huge body-checks. He also blocked another five shots tonite, including a key block with five ticks remaining during
six on four Hockey. Laffy faked a shot and made a tremendous cross ice pass into Bread's wheel-house for his tally.
The Motor City's Goalie matched Shesty's play tween dah pipes.  Fox played 21 mins. in his return from a strained MCL knee ligament.
He said he felt good after a few shifts. Detroit scored their two Goals in a span of 31 seconds. In a previously never before seen by the color commentator who was a former Player, a Detroit Player pulled our Player's stick upward to strike him in his mouth. He even cut himself to draw a four min. Penalty.
He got exposed as a fraud during a video review by the Officials. Detroit's HC kept waving his hand with five fingers extended, urging the Officials to call a five minute Penalty. Thinkin' either Detroit's player or HC should've received an Unsportsman Conduct for the stick in the mouth ploy.

kartanoman

One point. I don't believe anyone here has lost faith in Igor. You play him and he works himself out of any rut he might be in. Last night was a good example. His teammates came through for him where as, against Buffalo, you give the opposing team and their goalie their due and move on.

They're now tops in the league at 33 points.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

coggs

Last night was a bigger win than a typical game in November.  Fell behind against an improved and confident team.  Out chancing them, but the goalie was playing well.  Unlike Monday, they were able to break through for the equalizer and lead.  Avoided their first losing streak.

Gmo11

Last night reminded me of early last season games where they score first, immediately give one back up and then because when one thing goes wrong they have to follow it up right away with another thing going wrong now they're down 2-1 and that's that.  But this year's team managed to stop the bleeding right there, Shesty came through in that 3rd period with some MONSTER saves, and they were able to pull ahead in regulation.  This team feels much more complete than last year and with them I don't really feel like they're completely out of any game even if they do fall behind anymore.  They are finding ways to win, rather than finding ways to lose like they did early last season. And every win only makes them more confident.

Bigmoose

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 30, 2023, 11:48:20 AMLast night reminded me of early last season games where they score first, immediately give one back up and then because when one thing goes wrong they have to follow it up right away with another thing going wrong now they're down 2-1 and that's that.  But this year's team managed to stop the bleeding right there, Shesty came through in that 3rd period with some MONSTER saves, and they were able to pull ahead in regulation.  This team feels much more complete than last year and with them I don't really feel like they're completely out of any game even if they do fall behind anymore.  They are finding ways to win, rather than finding ways to lose like they did early last season. And every win only makes them more confident.

Agree, and I feel our new coach and coaching staff deserve much of the credit for this difference between offensive/defensive scheme, aggressiveness/toughness of play, player development (especially on faceoffs) and line combinations / roster changes.

DaveBrown74

I wasn't able to watch the majority of the game last night as I had some plans, but I did manage to get home for most of the third period so I saw both goals. Was thrilling to watch. Fully agreed with the poster who commented that this was a bigger than normal win for November. I agree with that. This team is exhibiting not just talent but also grit/heart. I wouldn't say they were "entitled" to one stinker, but the Buffalo loss didn't bother me that much as these guys are human and that stuff happens. But after a game like that you want to see a bounce-back effort, and that's what we saw in a big way. 

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 30, 2023, 02:07:47 PMI wasn't able to watch the majority of the game last night as I had some plans, but I did manage to get home for most of the third period so I saw both goals. Was thrilling to watch. Fully agreed with the poster who commented that this was a bigger than normal win for November. I agree with that. This team is exhibiting not just talent but also grit/heart. I wouldn't say they were "entitled" to one stinker, but the Buffalo loss didn't bother me that much as these guys are human and that stuff happens. <B>But after a game like that you want to see a bounce-back effort, and that's what we saw in a big way.</B> 

Reference your quote in boldface above, that's what makes them endearing and enjoyable to watch this season; and more-so than last year even when they were going hot.

The Rangers' next game will be very interesting from the standpoint that they still have the best record over the last 10 games (8-2-0) in the league, and will go against a Nashville Predators team in Nashville who have won six (6) in a row which is the hottest streak in the league right now. This Predators' team dropped the Rangers like a bad habit 4-1 at the Garden in the fourth game of the season so it will be interesting to see how the Rangers respond. I remember last year the Rangers had that crazy 7-0 win at the Garden but the Blueshirts have lost three of the last four matchups dating to 2021. So, this will be a good test for the Rangers to overcome a team that seems to have their number and who is riding a six-game winning streak on Nashville's home ice where they haven't won a game in a few years now.

It's a great challenge along the lines of last weekend's Boston matinee except this matinee will be in the south. It should be a great one and then a return home the next evening to host the San Jose Sharks who always give the Rangers fits so yet another challenge.

Peace!

Jaime

Thus far, the difference I observe between last season's Team and this season's Team can be summed up in one word
'INTESITY'. Credit Laviolette with instilling this attitude right from the get-go with having much more competitive practices. Vesey explained in his Presser, that results of Practice are posted after each Practice.
This is a major upgrade over the soft Practice tempo that took place last season.

Front to back. side to side, we are hard on the opponent's stick. We finish our checks. We have a 4th Line that is reecking havoc in numerous

kartanoman

The Rangers came to Nashvile shouting "Look out Music City cause here we come!"

Well, they arrived to a Preditors' team who played a fast-paced, grind it out game and a 0-2 deficit and 1-3 in the 2nd. Then, the back to back power plays which changed the game. Trocheck led the team on his back with a three point game and had a hand indirectly in the game winner.

Give the head coach the #1 star of the game for having the cojones to radically change his lines which immediately paid dividends. Give Igor star #2. Yeah, he gave up at least one head scratcher; however, he was masterful in keeping the Predators at 3 for the rest of the game. He was amazing in the final five minutes. Finally, Trocheck gets star #3 for being the spitfire that put life into the Rangers and got them going in the second and third periods.

This type of game is a sign. I will leave it at that.

Best in the NHL again. Vegas, your move.

Peace!

files58

"This type of game is a sign. I will leave it at that."

I thought the same thing when they were bumping helmets.

Jaime

This Team does not panic. They stick to their game plan even when they are down a couple, and playing poorly.
We again, dominate on the Dot. Largely thanks to Shesty, we get out of the 1st only down a couple.
Laviolette's deaft shuffling of the Lines in the 2nd jump started our Game. That's what experienced winning NHL HC's can do.
We give up a Short Handed Goal on a PP. Then come right back to score on the same PP. We rarely lose our focus.
Our Leadership (Staff and Players) are getting the job done.

DaveBrown74

Great come from behind road win against a team that has given us problems.

I know he let in three goals, but Shesty came up big for us in the third period in this one. Our guys really wanted this win. Great to see.

Gmo11

They keep finding ways to win. And because of that you never really feel like they're out of a game until the clock reads zeros.

Down 2-0 after the first. Just keep chipping away. It's fun to watch.

kartanoman

As good as this was, the real test comes tomorrow with that San Jose team whom the Blueshirts seem to struggle against. But a win would be a nice lead-in to the Ottawa road trip for Tuesday and then the quick breather before a "murderer's row" schedule of Washington (away), LA Kings (home), Toronto (home), Anaheim (home), Boston (away), Toronto (away), Edmonton and Buffalo home before Christmas. The Rangers have proven they can play with the best in the league as well as overcome teams which have had their number in the past. They won't win every game but they remain 8-2-0 in their last 10 which is very impressive given whom they've played in those 10 games. Their next big test is to compete against the other contenders whom they haven't played yet. In the Metro, that would obviously be Washington. Over in the Atlantic, in addition to the rematch in Boston Garden, they have to play Florida, Tampa and Toronto. In the Western - Central, they will get another crack at Dallas at home, but will have to play St. Louis and, of course, Colorado. Finally, in the Western - Pacific, the Kings are just around the corner and, on January 26, a hot ticket at the Garden when the Stanley Cup Champion Golden Knights come to town for what could be a battle of the best in each conference and, dare we suggest, a Stanley Cup final fantasy preview? Personally, I'd hold out for a NYR-Colorado series myself, but beggars cannot be choosers. The way this season is playing out so far, there's no reason to think beyond tomorrow night, and remember today's big comeback win.

One final observation. I guess it's good for Igor to get a series of games under his belt to get back in rhythm after recovering from his injury. As good as Quickie has been, the Rangers will go the distance on Igor's back. Seeing him in the third period today reminded me of his outstanding 2021-22 campaign.

Back to the Garden to take the teeth out of the Sharks tomorrow night!

Peace!