News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Draft decision

Started by katkavage, October 09, 2023, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 02:37:51 PMAgain I am not ignoring it.  I am looking at other ways to address it rather than the same way that has led to similar results.

I would welcome another way.  Talent identification, coaching, building a cohesive unit that communicates well together, core strength/quickness/footwork/balance training

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 09, 2023, 02:36:10 PMIt could be but as I said, BPA (what you wrote obviously needs to be taken seriously into account).  I just don't understand how clearly the worst unit should be ignored as fixing OL improves team more than any other unit.
I think you attack oline in FA and get guys that have already produced. The left side is solid with Thomas, Bred, JMS, you really just need a RG, and RT.

zephirus

I've said it before but it continues to be ignored.  Daniel Jones will be on this roster in 2024.  Period.  End of story.  The cap implications associated with cutting him prior to the end of next season are massive. 

That doesn't mean you can't draft another quarterback, and start them immediately.  You'd just have the most expensive backup ever.  Given the way these things tend to go, please make peace with the fact that Daniel Jones will be a Giant next year, and very likely be the starter.  If the Giants are convinced that he's not the way to go, they can move on after 2024 and draft his successor. 

Given the multitude of deficient positions on the Giants, I would think trading down and/or getting future picks is the prudent move.  You can augment the team around Jones for 2024 and roll the dice again.  If you crap out again, at least now you're in a cap position that allows you to cut him relatively painlessly while still putting valuable pieces into the team prior to the next QBs arrival.

Rambo89

Quote from: zephirus on October 09, 2023, 05:15:11 PMI've said it before but it continues to be ignored.  Daniel Jones will be on this roster in 2024.  Period.  End of story.  The cap implications associated with cutting him prior to the end of next season are massive. 

That doesn't mean you can't draft another quarterback, and start them immediately.  You'd just have the most expensive backup ever.  Given the way these things tend to go, please make peace with the fact that Daniel Jones will be a Giant next year, and very likely be the starter.  If the Giants are convinced that he's not the way to go, they can move on after 2024 and draft his successor. 

Given the multitude of deficient positions on the Giants, I would think trading down and/or getting future picks is the prudent move.  You can augment the team around Jones for 2024 and roll the dice again.  If you crap out again, at least now you're in a cap position that allows you to cut him relatively painlessly while still putting valuable pieces into the team prior to the next QBs arrival.

I don't think I've seen one person suggest that drafting a QB would mean Daniel Jones wouldn't be a Giant in 2024.  It would mean as you said either to start the season or at some point would be an expensive back up QB for the Giants in 2024. 

If Schoen/Daboll decide to augment the team around Jones in 2024 even if they have a Top 5 pick then they may not get a chance to draft a QB in 2025.  That might end up being the decision of a new regime.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: zephirus on October 09, 2023, 05:15:11 PMI've said it before but it continues to be ignored.  Daniel Jones will be on this roster in 2024.  Period.  End of story.  The cap implications associated with cutting him prior to the end of next season are massive. 

Agreed, and trading him is a non-starter even if they wanted to. Nobody is taking him off your hands with this contract (particularly the 2024 $47mm cap hit). He is unmovable.

Jclayton92