News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Dan Duggan have a point about a 6 man WR rotation?

Started by MightyGiants, October 09, 2023, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Usually, teams don't do that.   As Dan says, it's tough for the receivers to develop a rhythm, plus it's harder on the QB to develop the chemistry.  Would it be better to pick 3 (maybe 4) and just make them the main receivers?

Rotating 6 WRs is seemingly keeping anyone from getting in a rhythm. Shepard got more playing time, had 1 catch for 13 yards. Hyatt didn't have a target in 33 snaps. Third game with 0 catches. He's exclusively a deep threat and the Giants can't/don't throw deep.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Play Hyatt and Robinson all game. Let Campbell become the waterboy.

Slayton and Hodgins can split reps.

True Blue

The Chiefs have been rotating 5 WRs all season, no one seems to be complaining about Mahomes' top 7 scoring offense with a 4-1 record

Rambo89

Quote from: True Blue on October 09, 2023, 08:39:59 PMThe Chiefs have been rotating 5 WRs all season, no one seems to be complaining about Mahomes' top 7 scoring offense with a 4-1 record

Mahomes must have a great offensive line.  We've been told no QB can ever succeed unless they have a great offensive line.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 08:43:47 PMMahomes must have a great offensive line.  We've been told no QB can ever succeed unless they have a great offensive line.

They also have an elite coaching staff over there. He seems to be propped up pretty well

Trench

Quote from: True Blue on October 09, 2023, 08:47:02 PMThey also have an elite coaching staff over there. He seems to be propped up pretty well

How much of it is elite QB play?

Philosophers

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 08:43:47 PMMahomes must have a great offensive line.  We've been told no QB can ever succeed unless they have a great offensive line.

In 5 games this season, Mahomes has been sacked 4 times.  Daniel Jones has been sacked 28 times and Tyrod Taylor 1 time.  Mahomes has never been sacked more than 28 times in a season.  You're almost saying blocking does not matter.  No QB can ever succeed long term without good blocking. 

Rambo89

Quote from: Philosophers on October 09, 2023, 10:22:58 PMIn 5 games this season, Mahomes has been sacked 4 times.  Daniel Jones has been sacked 28 times and Tyrod Taylor 1 time.  Mahomes has never been sacked more than 28 times in a season.  You're almost saying blocking does not matter.  No QB can ever succeed long term without good blocking. 

You just made the point for me.

MightyGiants

They have PFF's 13th-ranked pass-blocking unit.  Safe to say, Mahomes is enjoying working behind a solid O-line.

Can we stick to the topic at hand, which is the Giants WR rotation?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I listened to former NFL Scout Dave Turner this morning.  He also thinks the Giants should reduce their WR rotation to a three man rotation.  He also argued one of the three should be Hodgins because of the chemistry he had with Jones last season.   I am not sure I agree with the 2nd point, but I don't know if I disagree either.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 08:12:10 AMI listened to former NFL Scout Dave Turner this morning.  He also thinks the Giants should reduce their WR rotation to a three man rotation.  He also argued one of the three should be Hodgins because of the chemistry he had with Jones last season.   I am not sure I agree with the 2nd point, but I don't know if I disagree either.
I don't think they decided on those three players yet if you can believe that. They apparently feel Hyatt isn't ready for some reason. They want Campbell to succeed and he gets a lot of the short passes, swings and screens. Slayton is definitely part of that group and they are easing in Robinson who's still finishing his rookie season. Somehow they want Hodgins in the mix because he can find a soft spot and sit. They also want that tall Receiver for the Red Zone.

I agree they should settle in with Slay, WDR and Hyatt at some point. Then alternate Hodgins and Campbell on rare occasions when they have four WRs and use Barkley as a RB and Blocker/checkdowns.

Right now they need two TE's on a lot of plays for one to block. Waller keeps a Receiver off the field in 12P.

They miss Richie James this year badly.

Next season Campbell won't be back. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 10, 2023, 08:37:41 AMI don't think they decided on those three players yet if you can believe that. They apparently feel Hyatt isn't ready for some reason. They want Campbell to succeed and he gets a lot of the short passes, swings and screens. Slayton is definitely part of that group and they are easing in Robinson who's still finishing his rookie season. Somehow they want Hodgins in the mix because he can find a soft spot and sit. They also want that tall Receiver for the Red Zone.

I agree they should settle in with Slay, WDR and Hyatt at some point. Then alternate Hodgins and Campbell on rare occasions when they have four WRs and use Barkley as a RB and Blocker/checkdowns.

Right now they need two TE's on a lot of plays for one to block. Waller keeps a Receiver off the field in 12P.

They miss Richie James this year badly.

Next season Campbell won't be back. 

Funny that you mentioned 2 TEs.  That was another thing David mentioned.  He felt with Waller and Bellinger they should be playing a lot of 2 TE sets.  He thought that would help a bit with the blocking.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 08:10:57 AMThey have PFF's 13th-ranked pass-blocking unit.  Safe to say, Mahomes is enjoying working behind a solid O-line.

Can we stick to the topic at hand, which is the Giants WR rotation?

This thread was arguing against a 5-6 man WR rotation.  It was pointed out that KC runs a similar rotation yet they have no issues in their passing game so it must be they have a great line because QB's are a product of their line, no?

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 08:39:57 AMFunny that you mentioned 2 TEs.  That was another thing David mentioned.  He felt with Waller and Bellinger they should be playing a lot of 2 TE sets.  He thought that would help a bit with the blocking.
It certainly would.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 08:40:48 AMThis thread was arguing against a 5-6 man WR rotation.  It was pointed out that KC runs a similar rotation yet they have no issues in their passing game so it must be they have a great line because QB's are a product of their line, no?

What works or is good for one team doesn't mean it will work for all teams.  Every team is different, with different schemes, different personnel, different coaching, and so on.  It's not wise, in my opinion, to look at another team and say, "it works for them, the Giants should do it."  This is the sort of misguided thinking that led to the Giants trying the tush push and getting JMS and Bellinger hurt.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE