News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As a Blue Chip QB prospect....

Started by GMenRF, October 10, 2023, 10:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Yeah, a QB about to be drafted number one will say no to the team drafting him because they are a bad team. Trevor Lawrence protested mightily to play with that stellar franchise, the Jacksonville Jaguars. Seriously? If the Giants have the number one pick, Caleb Williams will not say no.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 11:44:13 AMWe could have had the same conversation in 2004 as to why would anyone want to come to the Giants after the Dave Brown, Kannel and Graham debacles along with Kerry Collins in the disaster of a 2003 season?  Yet Eli Manning still wanted to come here over San Diego.

I do not see it.  In 2004, the Giants were three seasons removed from a Super Bowl appearance, and the team had just hired Tom Coughlin, who had taken the expansion Jags to a conference championship. The new QB would get to play alongside Tiki Barber, Ike Hilliard, Amani Toomer, and Jeremy Shockey The 2003 line wasn't great (not as bad as what we have now) the team certainly committed to an upgrade so when Eli Manning took the field he was protected by:

David Diehl T, Shaun O'Hara C, Luke Petitgout T, Chris Snee G and Jason Whittle G
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

People will always romanticize the Giants because we've won 2 super bowls that people can still remember and if you do win in the market then you are the guy and that can do wonders for your off the field career.

So no I doubt anyone would turn down the Giants for the bears or panthers.

Rambo89

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 10, 2023, 01:27:05 PMPeople will always romanticize the Giants because we've won 2 super bowls that people can still remember and if you do win in the market then you are the guy and that can do wonders for your off the field career.

People have short term memories of what the Giants used to be like.  It almost feels like those people are bashing the Giants to justify their own position over the current team's situation.  I just don't see how anyone can make the case that a QB prospect is going to see the Bears or Cardinals (remember Carolina doesn't have their 24 1st round pick) as a more favorable landing spot than the Giants.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

JN
@Ranger1135
ยท
Oct 9
Replying to
@BigBlueHuddle
Why wouldn't one of these young QBs in the next draft just pull an Eli and refuse to play for the Giants? They have failed at supporting a QB for 12 years. Being drafted by them at this point is virtually career suicide. Do you think Deion would let his son go there? No chance!!!
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 10, 2023, 01:27:05 PMPeople will always romanticize the Giants because we've won 2 super bowls that people can still remember and if you do win in the market then you are the guy and that can do wonders for your off the field career.

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 01:46:11 PMPeople have short term memories of what the Giants used to be like.  It almost feels like those people are bashing the Giants to justify their own position over the current team's situation.  I just don't see how anyone can make the case that a QB prospect is going to see the Bears or Cardinals (remember Carolina doesn't have their 24 1st round pick) as a more favorable landing spot than the Giants.

There was a time when this was most certainly true.  NY was the media capital of the world, and if you were good and playing in this region, you got tons of publicity and exposure.

These days, I am not sure how much that is still true.   First, traditional media isn't what it used to be, with the internet and social media having joined the party.  Secondly, technological advances are such that almost anywhere can serve as a TV studio for interviews.  So you don't need to be local for national media to give a player lots of exposure.

On the down side, this area has a high cost of living and state income tax.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 02:06:16 PMThere was a time when this was most certainly true.  NY was the media capital of the world, and if you were good and playing in this region, you got tons of publicity and exposure.

These days, I am not sure how much that is still true.   First, traditional media isn't what it used to be, with the internet and social media having joined the party.  Secondly, technological advances are such that almost anywhere can serve as a TV studio for interviews.  So you don't need to be local for national media to give a player lots of exposure.

On the down side, this area has a high cost of living and state income tax.

The point is the Giants aren't a more undesirable landing spot for an elite QB prospect than the Bears or Cardinals.  It's a false narrative that it's a franchise that no elite QB prospect would want to be drafted by.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

uconnjack8

The Eli comparison fall short for me, as does the Deion Sanders one.  The reason being is that the top prospects that have a father that was a successful NFL player are few and far between.  Would Eli have felt the same about SD if his father wasn't Archie?  We will never know.

What I think we do know, is that guys coming out of college that get drafted in the top 5 or 10 have a 99.99% (or so) chance that they play for the team that drafted them. Guys that get drafted that high generally feel like they can be what turns a franchise around. 

This idea that future QBs will not want to come to the Giants seems absurd to me.  Did Tua try and get out of Miami?  they didn't do QBs any favors for about 30 years.  Mahomes was mentioned, did he try and get out of KC?  He was the 1st QB they drafted to win a game for the franchise since 83! But I guess they had a reputation for doing  great things for QBs.  Yeah I know Andy Reid was there.  Remember what he was labelled as at that point around here? Bad at time management, can't win the big games?  Why would any QB want to go there? 

How many QBs get drafted every year and how many are successful?  How many teams have gone through QB after QB for decades and guys still get drafted and play there? 

I think prior to Eli, wasn't Elway the only who said he wouldn't play somewhere?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Another thought, the Giants got Jones hurt and likely will get him hurt again if he returns.  Who would sign up for that?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Why not fix the Offensive Line and actually find out what this QB can and can't do?

For now, sign Collins and get him and Pugh inserted into that Lineup on the Right side.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 11, 2023, 07:35:45 AMWhy not fix the Offensive Line and actually find out what this QB can and can't do?

For now, sign Collins and get him and Pugh inserted into that Lineup on the Right side.
It certainly isn't for a lack of trying. It's a combination of limited talent and coaching skills to teach that group how to be effective together. Between injuries and shuffling players in and out, it's hard to develop chemistry with the guy next to you.

Coaching has to figure out a way to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each individual along the line and then put in a protection plan to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses. It sounds good but difficult to do... at least for our guys.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

GMenRF

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 11, 2023, 07:35:45 AMWhy not fix the Offensive Line and actually find out what this QB can and can't do?

The problem is with the unnecessary beating that DJ has taken its too little too late.  He has if not already entered into David Carr territory.

Rushed throws even when there's no pressure.  On top if that injuring his neck which was a major concern 2 years ago.

If I was in DJs shoes I'd tell management I'm not stepping on that field until Andrew Thomas suits up.

The big red flag for me is having you QB still on the field when the game is already decided.  Is it simply to have the other team continue to beat him into oblivion.  On top of that knowing your line is not going to hold up why are we still running spread offense and continue to pass the ball unnecessarily.  You committed a lot of money to the player just to have him be a punching bag for the other team just makes no sense to me.

T200

Quote from: GMenRF on October 11, 2023, 08:11:23 AMThe problem is with the unnecessary beating that DJ has taken its too little too late.  He has if not already entered into David Carr territory.

Rushed throws even when there's no pressure.  On top if that injuring his neck which was a major concern 2 years ago.

If I was in DJs shoes I'd tell management I'm not stepping on that field until Andrew Thomas suits up.
After getting more money than he deserves, he'd be a fool to take that stance.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: GMenRF on October 11, 2023, 08:11:23 AMThe problem is with the unnecessary beating that DJ has taken its too little too late.  He has if not already entered into David Carr territory.

The big red flag for me is having you QB still on the field when the game is already decided.  Is it simply to have the other team continue to beat him into oblivion.  On top of that knowing your line is not going to hold up why are we still running spread offense and continue to pass the ball unnecessarily.  You committed a lot of money to the player just to have him be a punching bag for the other team just makes no sense to me.

If I were DJ's agent, I would be telling him not to rush back.   His health and well-being is more important than any game.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE