News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As a Blue Chip QB prospect....

Started by GMenRF, October 10, 2023, 10:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMenRF

Quote from: T200 on October 11, 2023, 08:17:26 AMAfter getting more money than he deserves, he'd be a fool to take that stance.

How is that so?

Andrew Thomas gets to sit back and recover  for as long as needed for his injury which is a hamstring.

Your QB, whom you have invested money to, which is the most important player on the team, who has his second injury to his neck ala if another serious one occurs means paralysis or worse, is not afforded the same time to recover? Especially with how atrocious the whole oline has been.

Then you are merely send your QB out on the field to be killed.  It is a suicide mission as to what Rich alludes to.

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on October 11, 2023, 08:03:07 AMIt certainly isn't for a lack of trying. It's a combination of limited talent and coaching skills to teach that group how to be effective together. Between injuries and shuffling players in and out, it's hard to develop chemistry with the guy next to you.

Coaching has to figure out a way to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each individual along the line and then put in a protection plan to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses. It sounds good but difficult to do... at least for our guys.
I recall saying it somewhere but there was and is a serious lack of depth issue with this Line.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 11, 2023, 08:34:43 AMI recall saying it somewhere but there was and is a serious lack of depth issue with this Line.

I agree with this.  To make matters worse:

The Giants went into Miami down 3 offensive linemen (Starting LT, Thomas, and C, JMS, as well as backup G, Lemieux).  During the game, both Brederson (the new center) and their new RG McKethan went down (PS players were put in to replace them). 

I don't think any NFL line, much less one lacking in depth, could function with 5 offensive linemen injured.   Considering many teams go into the season with just 8 offensive linemen, that is a terrible attrition rate.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: GMenRF on October 11, 2023, 08:29:31 AMHow is that so?

Andrew Thomas gets to sit back and recover  for as long as needed for his injury which is a hamstring.

Your QB, whom you have invested money to, which is the most important player on the team, who has his second injury to his neck ala if another serious one occurs means paralysis or worse, is not afforded the same time to recover? Especially with how atrocious the whole oline has been.

Then you are merely send your QB out on the field to be killed.  It is a suicide mission as to what Rich alludes to.
To my knowledge, AT has not been medically cleared to play. He's not voluntarily sitting out. You're suggesting Jones sit out, while healthy enough to play, until Thomas is back in the lineup.

Second, Thomas plays ONE of the five line positions. He can't block everyone. Jones has been sacked with and without Thomas in the lineup. He's still going to get hit.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 11, 2023, 08:41:50 AMTo my knowledge, AT has not been medically cleared to play. He's not voluntarily sitting out. You're suggesting Jones sit out, while healthy enough to play, until Thomas is back in the lineup.

Second, Thomas plays ONE of the five line positions. He can't block everyone. Jones has been sacked with and without Thomas in the lineup. He's still going to get hit.

I appreciate that Thomas is just one of five blockers, but consider- With Thomas and Brederson at LT and LG, Jones can somewhat count on those two not whiffing on blocks, meaning he should have at least 2 seconds of safety from that side most of the time.  That allows Jones to focus on the threats coming from his right side.  While not ideal, that situation is at least somewhat tenable.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 08:40:06 AMI agree with this.  To make matters worse:

The Giants went into Miami down 3 offensive linemen (Starting LT, Thomas, and C, JMS, as well as backup G, Lemieux).  During the game, both Brederson (the new center) and their new RG McKethan went down (PS players were put in to replace them). 

I don't think any NFL line, much less one lacking in depth, could function with 5 offensive linemen injured.   Considering many teams go into the season with just 8 offensive linemen, that is a terrible attrition rate.

Absolutely but I have to put this on Schoen to a certain extent. He had Feliciano and Gates who are now starting on other teams as their backups. Gates may have even won a Guard position. They had the depth but they chose to sign a couple of Receivers that they rarely utilize. Using a Guard to be the backup Center.

Then there is the preparation and coaching that is lacking. They got a Lineman and a TE Injured because they didn't know how to execute a push and shove to get a yard.

The lack of continuity is on them.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: GMenRF on October 11, 2023, 08:11:23 AMIf I was in DJs shoes I'd tell management I'm not stepping on that field until Andrew Thomas suits up.

Daniel Jones is lucky John Mara loves him so much because any franchise that were in the Giants shoes after last season with the first four seasons Jones put up would have let him walk let alone paid him the contract the Giants did. 

And it's not like Thomas is sitting out on purpose.  He's dealing with an injury that takes away a tackles ability to push off the line.  Do you want a compromised player on the field if the idea is to protect the QB?  I sure don't.  I want him to come back when he's able too and not rush back only to hurt himself even worse.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18