News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No other trades by the Giants

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2023, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I think it is neither. I think Schoen has a plan (although many are calling for his head about now) and he is sticking to it. He got good return on Leo and maybe wasn't thrilled by whatever someone may have offered for some others. So why trade players for the sake of trading them. Contrary to what some may think, this season is part of a rebuild year. Yes, the Giants shocked everyone by their great start and playoff run last season, but this roster is far from complete and I  think this season is proving that. Let JS build the team he envisions. It will take time, especially with what he started with.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Any vet who is about to be a FA that we don't plan on signing should have been on the block and, frankly, probably should have been sold to the highest bidder no matter what. I understand Mara is concerned about keeping up appearances and filling seats for the last four or five home games (or whatever the number is), but at 2-6 I just don't get the point of not getting what you can for guys who won't be here next year. With that said, if there was no interest for certain players, then there was no interest.

This season is a sunk cost. We are definitely not making the playoffs. It's over. They should be doing whatever they can to maximize their outlook moving forward. That includes continuing to develop our current talent that is part of the long term plans, but guys who won't be here next year seem pointless to keep around if there was a market for them.

Woody

Just saw on another site that Giants had a deal to trade Adoree Jackson but failed to notify league in time do it didn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Woody on October 31, 2023, 06:29:11 PMJust saw on another site that Giants had a deal to trade Adoree Jackson but failed to notify league in time do it didn't happen

Pretty sure that was a tweet from Wesley Steinberg, which is a parody account.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Woody on October 31, 2023, 06:29:11 PMJust saw on another site that Giants had a deal to trade Adoree Jackson but failed to notify league in time do it didn't happen

Fake account Woody...he does this crap all the time
The KING is in the building

Woody

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 31, 2023, 06:43:21 PMFake account Woody...he does this crap all the time
Thanks wish it would have happened though. I am not a Jackson fan

brownelvis54

Quote from: Woody on October 31, 2023, 06:45:05 PMThanks wish it would have happened though. I am not a Jackson fan

Me too...
The KING is in the building

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2023, 05:28:41 PMAny vet who is about to be a FA that we don't plan on signing should have been on the block and, frankly, probably should have been sold to the highest bidder no matter what. I understand Mara is concerned about keeping up appearances and filling seats for the last four or five home games (or whatever the number is), but at 2-6 I just don't get the point of not getting what you can for guys who won't be here next year. With that said, if there was no interest for certain players, then there was no interest.

This season is a sunk cost. We are definitely not making the playoffs. It's over. They should be doing whatever they can to maximize their outlook moving forward. That includes continuing to develop our current talent that is part of the long term plans, but guys who won't be here next year seem pointless to keep around if there was a market for them.

By taking Barkley off the table, the Giants show why they are a losing franchise.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on October 31, 2023, 06:56:01 PMBy taking Barkley off the table, the Giants show why they are a losing franchise.

Agreed. Keeping (and paying) Barkley next year solely because he is needed for one more year to prop up a QB whom the team has already decided to move on from is about as "losing franchise" a concept I can think of.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: katkavage on October 31, 2023, 06:56:01 PMBy taking Barkley off the table, the Giants show why they are a losing franchise.

Totally disagree with you . I hope they sign Barkley to an extension . He is the heart and sole of the offense

kingm56

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 01, 2023, 01:59:28 AMTotally disagree with you . I hope they sign Barkley to an extension . He is the heart and sole of the offense

And that's the problem.  The rest of the league figured-out the league has evolved...you no longer win SBs with a run-centric offense.  It's been a decade since a run-oriented team won the big game; today, you win SBs with a prolific passer and dynamic offense.  Dallas had 3 HoF offensive Linemen, a top 3 RB, and didn't get close.  Tenn had a future HoF in Derrick Henry and very capable OL, and could never get past the prolific passers.  The 2012/13 rule changes fundamentally changed the game to give prolific passing teams a distinct advantage over run-oriented teams.  DG was a dinosaur, and failed to realize said evolution; he built a fundamentally flawed team centered around DTs and Running game. In his day, you won games by running the ball and stopping the run.  He was playing from an outdated playbook, and we paid the price.  For some of us, this isn't revisionist history; we we're talking about this 4 years ago.

As it relates to this thread, I think we're missing the primary issue, which is to suggest the Giants are voided of tradable players.  Nobody is trading for a middling QB with a bloated salary; nobody is taking an oft-injured CB with a bloated salary; nobody is taking a never-has-been Safety, whose rookie deal is about to expire.  Outside of Dex, Thibs and Thomas, the Giants have NO tradeable players, which is why they're one of the NFLs worst teams. 

Barkley remains their only marketable player and the only reason for fans to continue to come to Giants stadium.  Seriously, what Offensive jersey would you buy right now?  I doubt there's a long line to procure #8 jerseys.  I've been to multiple Giant games and less than 5% of the crowd are wearing 8.  At the end of the day, the NFL is a business and the Mara's need to retain their only marketable player until he can be replaced. 

katkavage

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 01, 2023, 01:59:28 AMTotally disagree with you . I hope they sign Barkley to an extension . He is the heart and sole of the offense
Yes he has heart and soul. But the Giants don't win despite that heart and soul. It's not his fault but it's the position. You want to become a winning franchise, you have to make the hard sacrifices.