News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- CJ Stroud

Started by MightyGiants, November 07, 2023, 02:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Wait and Will Anderson is not helping them?  Or Tank at WR?  Or a better Nico Collins?  How about a new head coach?

Let's stop thinking 100% of the success or failure is due to the QB.

Dgoodmantrublu

You don't think Hyatt would be making plays if he had a QB who could actually get him the ball when he gets open deep. Nico did pretty much nothing when he had a scrub at QB throwing to him last year. QB makes a huge difference. It is the most important position in sports.

uconnjack8

Heard some of his post game presser on a radio show.  They asked about the final drive and his answer was great and exactly the type of stuff you would want to hear from a QB.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: jgrangers2 on November 07, 2023, 04:57:22 PMSaw somebody on Twitter earlier today talking about how Stroud's tape through most of the season didn't really stand out and then his game against Georgia was some of the best play a college QB has ever put on tape. He's looked a heck of a lot like the QB in that Georgia game this season.

It was like Deshaun Watson versus Alabama in 2017 (seriously, look at that Bama defense... the line was Daron Payne, Quinnen Williams, and Jonathan Allen, while the defensive secondary had Eddie Jackson, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Marlon Humphrey). Sure, you can still question that player, but peaking versus guys who are going to feature in the NFL has to count for more than the average game.

Jclayton92

Quote from: AYM on November 07, 2023, 04:16:46 PMThis will be interesting to consider if somehow this team ends up over the next year or two in position to draft Riley Leonard.
Leonard has extremely pedestrian stats, I have no idea why a team would draft him other than as a backup.

DaveBrown74

If the Giants draft another Duke QB, I'm telling you right now, they will be viewed as literally the biggest clowns in all of professional sports. The guy will need to be the second coming of Peyton Manning for them to shed that.

They better not even think of doing it.

Dgoodmantrublu

Not a fan of helmet scouting, but I'd rather stab a fork through my eyes than draft another Duke QB.

Philosophers

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 07, 2023, 05:44:43 PMYou don't think Hyatt would be making plays if he had a QB who could actually get him the ball when he gets open deep. Nico did pretty much nothing when he had a scrub at QB throwing to him last year. QB makes a huge difference. It is the most important position in sports.

Nobody said QB is not most important position but it is not 100% of the success or failure. Read my actual words.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on November 07, 2023, 11:46:41 PMNobody said QB is not most important position but it is not 100% of the success or failure. Read my actual words.

I understand your point, Joe; however, the contributions from the other players you highlighted are significantly diminished without the QB. In the modern NFL there are two types of teams: teams with a franchise QB and teams without one. The latter rarely competes for SBs, while the former consistently turnout double-digit winning seasons.  It really is all about the QB.  Perhaps that's why KC has played in the last 5 Championship games and Cinci the last two.  It makes sense: they have the best QBs.  In short, Stroud is the single biggest component to Houston's turn-around, which is the point GMO was making.   Teams can win without above average LE, coaches or WRs.  What they can't do is consistently win without a true franchise QB.

Gmo11

Quote from: AYM on November 07, 2023, 04:16:46 PMThis will be interesting to consider if somehow this team ends up over the next year or two in position to draft Riley Leonard.
[/quote

Oh I am well aware it's hypocritical but I've got PTSD when it comes to Duke QBs on the Giants. Although I'm willing to admit he might be good even though the others were not...I just want him to be good elsewhere.

Fortunately it seems highly unlikely the Giants even consider him. They are heading full steam into the Caleb Williams sweepstakes and if not him will be in position to draft Maye or McCarthy both of which will certainly grade out higher than Riley Leonard so as long as nobody falls full bloom in love we won't have to worry about another Duke QB on the Giants.

JT39

Its half of a season. Stroud has struggled with pressure all year. His OL (with all their injuries) have pass blocked amazingly.

Its amazing how a QB can look with time and a chance to set their feet.

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on November 07, 2023, 11:54:50 PMI understand your point, Joe; however, the contributions from the other players you highlighted are significantly diminished without the QB. In the modern NFL there are two types of teams: teams with a franchise QB and teams without one. The latter rarely competes for SBs, while the former consistently turnout double-digit winning seasons.  It really is all about the QB.  Perhaps that's why KC has played in the last 5 Championship games and Cinci the last two.  It makes sense: they have the best QBs.  In short, Stroud is the single biggest component to Houston's turn-around, which is the point GMO was making.   Teams can win without above average LE, coaches or WRs.  What they can't do is consistently win without a true franchise QB.

I am not arguing with anyone about the importance of the QB position.  My point is that others have improved and new players have been brought in.  They are all helping but maybe not as much as a QB.

Second, some suggest that all you need is an elite QB.  Sorry but with the Giants porous OL, Patrick Mahommes may squeeze a few more wins out of the Giants but he is not taking them to the playoffs being under siege like he would.  Same point is relevant for Caleb, Drake or JJ.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on November 08, 2023, 05:27:59 PMI am not arguing with anyone about the importance of the QB position.  My point is that others have improved and new players have been brought in.  They are all helping but maybe not as much as a QB.

Second, some suggest that all you need is an elite QB.  Sorry but with the Giants porous OL, Patrick Mahommes may squeeze a few more wins out of the Giants but he is not taking them to the playoffs being under siege like he would.  Same point is relevant for Caleb, Drake or JJ.

Concerning your first point, I think we're just discussing semantics; for the second point, I somewhat disagree.  We just watched the Cinci Bengals make a SB with a horrific OL, which gave up an NFL record 19 sacks in the playoffs, including a single game high of 8.  Patrick Mahommes also took his team to the SB with a horrific OL just a few years ago; the right QB can overcome a lot of average play. 

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on November 09, 2023, 07:06:48 AMConcerning your first point, I think we're just discussing semantics; for the second point, I somewhat disagree.  We just watched the Cinci Bengals make a SB with a horrific OL, which gave up an NFL record 19 sacks in the playoffs, including a single game high of 8.  Patrick Mahommes also took his team to the SB with a horrific OL just a few years ago; the right QB can overcome a lot of average play. 

Two times is not enough to draw a conclusion.  How many great QBs had a year of high sacks and did not produce?

Also are sacks the right metric?  Without having seen every game in either year, it's possible sacks happened but otherwise no consistent pressure on other pass plays.  A team can win by yielding say 6 sacks but keeping a QB clean otherwise.

andrew_nyGiants

CJ Stroud doing it again today!
Beating the Bengals in Cinci!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!