News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DONT hand it to Barkley

Started by BluesCruz, November 12, 2023, 05:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

In obvious running situations

Do something else

Drives me nuts we are so predictable

Also whats with running DaVito out to WR?  Who is that supposed to fool and for what effect?  I dont get it AT ALL

Dabol and Kafka cannot call an effective offense
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

We don't have great offensive pieces and a 3rd string qb. Just not sure what you expected given the circumstances.

Dgoodmantrublu

Last week people got after the coaching because we didn't run on the first series. Today they get on the coaching because we do. It isn't the coaches. You aren't going to win with a third string QB who doesn't belong in the NFL and with an OL on its 9th combo in 10 games.

Gmo11

So Andy Reid could take this offense as currently constructed and do something with it? Or maybe, juuuuust maybe, the coaches didn't forget how to coach from last year to this year and what we're seeing is a result of piss poor QB play as well as a carosel of OL moving in and out of the lineup every week. There's not a coach alive or dead that could get this offense to 20pts per game.

When the Giants draft a QB and that kid starts playing next season Daboll will miraculously remember how to coach again.

AYM

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 12, 2023, 09:03:05 PMWe don't have great offensive pieces and a 3rd string qb. Just not sure what you expected given the circumstances.

Chicago's won a game or two with the a QB with arguably less experience than DeVito going into the season.

Gmo11

Quote from: AYM on November 13, 2023, 06:38:00 AMChicago's won a game or two with the a QB with arguably less experience than DeVito going into the season.

And that's wonderful for them to have found a capable QB by accident. The Giants were not that fortunate. For every Brock Purdy there's about a million guys that don't even make a roster.

BluesCruz

I am not unhappy with DeVito

I am very unhappy with the ability of Barkley to achieve short tough yds

That 4th. and 2 changed the momentum of the game.  a simple handoff to Barkley was telegraphed to anyone watching or playing in the game and had studied Giants playcalling from the recent past.  Barkley is not capable of bowling over the D in that senario....reminded me of Tyrods infamous play change at the goalline with exactly the same thick headed result

that play should have been a rollout by DeVito or QB brotherly shove IMHO....perhaps a QB sweep

just do something else....anything

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jaime

Cruz, how does a naked Bootleg strike you :hmm:

Dgoodmantrublu

It was an RPO. Campbell was wide open, but he handed the ball off. DeVito can't make simple plays every NFL QB can make. He is not an NFL caliber player.

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 13, 2023, 09:36:00 AMI am not unhappy with DeVito

I am very unhappy with the ability of Barkley to achieve short tough yds

That 4th. and 2 changed the momentum of the game.  a simple handoff to Barkley was telegraphed to anyone watching or playing in the game and had studied Giants playcalling from the recent past.  Barkley is not capable of bowling over the D in that senario....reminded me of Tyrods infamous play change at the goalline with exactly the same thick headed result

that play should have been a rollout by DeVito or QB brotherly shove IMHO....perhaps a QB sweep

just do something else....anything

Brooklyn Dave

I am sure that I am in the minority here, but in my opinion the Giants must resign Barkley . He is a captain, the face of the franchise, well loved and respected by his teamates, their best offensive player by far, he wants to be here and plus the fact he is damn good!!!. Could imagine if the Giants do not resign him and he signs with the Cowboys , the Eagles or even The Jets ?

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 15, 2023, 10:00:31 AMI am sure that I am in the minority here, but in my opinion the Giants must resign Barkley . He is a captain, the face of the franchise, well loved and respected by his teamates, their best offensive player by far, he wants to be here and plus the fact he is damn good!!!. Could imagine if the Giants do not resign him and he signs with the Cowboys , the Eagles or even The Jets ?

You are in the minority here for sure.  I tend to agree with you, as if we're bringing a new QB into the fold it would be helpful to have Saquon there not just for running/making plays but also as a pass protector, which he's gotten much more reliable with this year. 

That being said, if he can't sign a reasonable deal (8-10 per year....max of 2 years guaranteed IMO) then I'd understand Schoen going a different direction (bringing a vet or 2 in + drafting another RB...as Gray has not yet shown he could be anything close to a replacement for Saquon). 

Dgoodmantrublu

Barkley is already in decline. Paying him now would not be smart at all. Draft a new face of the franchise. The rookie QB. Sign a cheap running back and draft another.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 15, 2023, 01:48:09 PMBarkley is already in decline. Paying him now would not be smart at all. Draft a new face of the franchise. The rookie QB. Sign a cheap running back and draft another.

We have had plenty of Barkley discussions here since last spring, so I'm not going to get into another big back and forth about an old topic, especially now, given there is a much bigger elephant in the room with the QB position. But I am in the same camp as you are on Barkley. He is still a good player, but I hope the Giants will put emotion aside and be sensible in how they approach him. I think paying him tag money ($12mm) would be wasteful and I think signing him to a multi year guaranteed deal would be unnecessarily risky and simply unsound economically given his injury history and performance decline. If they want to draft a premiere 21-22 year old RB with fresh legs, they have two second round picks this year. Easy enough to do that, and then you're only paying the player somewhere between $1m-$2m a year instead of $8mm-$12mm.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 15, 2023, 10:20:26 AMYou are in the minority here for sure.  I tend to agree with you, as if we're bringing a new QB into the fold it would be helpful to have Saquon there not just for running/making plays but also as a pass protector, which he's gotten much more reliable with this year. 

That being said, if he can't sign a reasonable deal (8-10 per year....max of 2 years guaranteed IMO) then I'd understand Schoen going a different direction (bringing a vet or 2 in + drafting another RB...as Gray has not yet shown he could be anything close to a replacement for Saquon). 

Sometimes the minority turns out to be right !!! Can you vision next year Jalen Hurts handing off to Sequon Barkley who is running behind one of the beszt OL in Football? Yes, I know that you shouldn't sign a player in the NFLjust because you don't want another rival to sign him , but I will stick to my minority position and hope they resign Barkley .

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 16, 2023, 12:42:41 AMSometimes the minority turns out to be right !!! Can you vision next year Jalen Hurts handing off to Sequon Barkley who is running behind one of the beszt OL in Football? Yes, I know that you shouldn't sign a player in the NFLjust because you don't want another rival to sign him , but I will stick to my minority position and hope they resign Barkley .

I couldn't agree more with the bold point but I disagree on re-signing Barkley, unless it's for an extremely team friendly deal.

I hope the Giants have learned the lesson about overpaying for talent that can't stay on the field and has up and down production.

I think we should also question the value of his leadership - what difference is he making? What would we be without him? 1-8? That one victory isn't worth north of 9mil a year or whatever he'll get on the open market.