News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants May Not Be Ready to Move On From DJ

Started by Ed Vette, November 13, 2023, 09:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 14, 2023, 12:53:47 PMTo improve the O-line they have to start with coaching.  I'd bet the Giants have put as much or more draft capital into the O-line as any team in the league.  I've said it before, but they need to do a deep dive into who is the best evaluator of online and online coaching talent  and do whatever it takes to hire them.  Because the Giants have had their heads up their butts for more than 10 years on the O-line.

You're close, but you still have to integrate those pieces into the system, which it is clear the Giants have completely failed to do:

1. Develop an offensive strategy
2. Develop the tactics (plays, counterplays, audibles, etc.)
3. Develop the offensive line formations and blocking schemes
4. Research and go get the offensive line players best suited to your offense
5. Train and coach your offensive line into a cohesive unit, unto itself
6. Integrate offensive line into the overall offense
7. Fine-tune to optimize

You offensive line experts out there know better than I, but my point is break it down to the smallest element, smallest requirement, and ensure you have a solution which verifies that requirement, then go to the next requirement, and so forth.

What's so damn hard about that?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 14, 2023, 08:31:26 PMI kind of wonder why these guys will come out early under the new rules.  They aren't going to get picked in the prime draft spots because the 'regular' 2024 QB class is as strong as it is.  And getting picked moderately high because the regular 2024 guys got picked before them will cost them millions in their rookie contract.

Here is how the slotting worked for 2023:
No. 1: $41.2 million
No. 2: $39.4 million
No. 3: $38.2 million
No. 4: $36.9 million
No. 5: $34.5 million
No. 6: $30.4 million
No. 7: $27.02 million
No. 8: $23.7 million
No. 9: $23.5 million
No. 10: $22.6 million
No. 11: $21.2 million
No. 12: $19.2 million
No. 13: $18.7 million
No. 14: $17.8 million
No. 15: $17.5 million
No. 16: $16.5 million
No. 17: $16.2 million
No. 18: $15.7 million
No. 19: $15.5 million
No. 20: $15.4 million
No. 21: $15.3 million
No. 22: $15.2 million
No. 23: $14.99 million
No. 24: $14.7 million
No. 25: $14.5 million
No. 26: $14.3 million
No. 27: $14.16 million
No. 28: $14.07 million
No. 29: $13.4 million
No. 30: $13.05 million
No. 31: $12.75 million

The particular numbers will be different for 2024 and 2025 but the pattern will be the same.  If you could hope to be a top ten pick in 2025 but you come out early and get picked 25th in 2024 you cost yourself 7 million on your rookie contract.  Plus, under the new college rules you can pick up a nice piece of change playing that extra year in college.  It's not NFL money, but its not chump change.  A top college QB can make a couple of million.
Most of those guys are old outside of Maye, Aller, and Williams. This year and maybe next year if some hold over will be the last of the covid exemption nonsense. They are all older so they are trying to get in the league now, Penix, Nix, Van Dyke, and Rattler could comeback next year and they are all already 23 and most of them will very 24 or 25 before the play a down in the NFL. Even Daniels will be 23 before he gets drafted and 24 before his rookie season finishes.

Mccarthy, Williams, and Maye are the young qbs with Allers time being in 2025. The other guys are just running out of time.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kartanoman on November 15, 2023, 07:20:27 AMYou're close, but you still have to integrate those pieces into the system, which it is clear the Giants have completely failed to do:

1. Develop an offensive strategy
2. Develop the tactics (plays, counterplays, audibles, etc.)
3. Develop the offensive line formations and blocking schemes
4. Research and go get the offensive line players best suited to your offense
5. Train and coach your offensive line into a cohesive unit, unto itself
6. Integrate offensive line into the overall offense
7. Fine-tune to optimize

You offensive line experts out there know better than I, but my point is break it down to the smallest element, smallest requirement, and ensure you have a solution which verifies that requirement, then go to the next requirement, and so forth.

What's so damn hard about that?

Peace!

None of those things are going to happen if you don't get the right players and the right coach.  Remember the line from the movie Miracle when Herb Brooks tells the higher ups that he isn't looking for the best players, he's looking for the right players?  The Giants approach to building an oline has been the opposite, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 13, 2023, 10:13:14 PMThe entire top brass went to scout Caleb and Penix. They have been to North Carolina to scout Drake Maye 5 times. North Carolina doesn't have a lot of other top of other prospects. Is is obvious what is up.

Is there any evidence they were ONLY there to scout qb's?

Dgoodmantrublu

Well North Carolina has maybe 2 other pro prospects. There is video of Schoen watching Caleb warm up before the game. You don't scout that many times without real interest. I know you want to give Danny his 400000 years to show he can be an even average QB, but there is no way they pass up the chance to draft a franchise guy if they are in position to do so.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 10:08:07 AMI can't stand Ralph. I'm writing because I AGREE with his speculation/argument/thesis on Jones.

The goal IMO should be to take the best player available with Pick 2.

I said the same thing when they drafted Barkley (still one of the Top 20 players in the NFL).

To me, right now, the best player available is Harrison, Jr., offense, NOT one of the QB's.

That could change, but that's the situation as I see it today, and I believe the Giants agree.

Bob

I agree. is MHJ a better wr prospect than any of the qb's as qb prospects? i think so.

Jclayton92

The problem with drafting wrs is that they are largely reliant on the Qb. We already have one burner that we can't use because we don't have an average Qb to get the ball to him.

Dgoodmantrublu

MHJ could be a guaranteed HOFer and I would not draft him over the QBs in this draft.

katkavage

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 16, 2023, 04:59:14 PMI agree. is MHJ a better wr prospect than any of the qb's as qb prospects? i think so.
Tyrod Taylor would love to have a weapon like MHJ to throw to.

DaveBrown74

I am fully with @Jclayton92 and @Dgoodmantrublu.

No doubt there are some exceptional WRs in this class. But the idea of taking one of them first round with our QB situation in this bad shape is not one that appeals to me. That is not to say that (1) WR is not a premium position or (2) that we don't need help at it, but I see no point in prioritizing getting an elite, all-world WR over addressing our needs at QB.

Another point is that WR is an easier position to have a solid chance of getting good ones on day two than QB.

Dgoodmantrublu

Giants scouts at their 6th Drake Maye of the year. I don't believe any report that they will stick with Jones.