News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Tommy continues and improves even- who can we ship Jones off to?

Started by BluesCruz, November 20, 2023, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicRat

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 20, 2023, 04:11:12 PMHe will be lucky to be a number 3 in the league. He just doesn't have the requisite arm talent. Teams will game plan on him and then he won't be able to do what he did yesterday. He still needlessly took sacks that no good QB takes. This notion that he has real talent seems ridiculous to me.
He has an arm and made some plays, but as you say, a good number of the sacks were on him.
If he can develop, slow the game down in his head and develop some pocket awareness he could become a serviceable back up.

I don't see him as a starter, but if the kid can score a back up contract or two, he can set himself up quite well money wise.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Dgoodmantrublu

Sure. Backup QB is a reasonable ceiling for him.

Quote from: MagicRat on November 21, 2023, 03:35:53 PMHe has an arm and made some plays, but as you say, a good number of the sacks were on him.
If he can develop, slow the game down in his head and develop some pocket awareness he could become a serviceable back up.

I don't see him as a starter, but if the kid can score a back up contract or two, he can set himself up quite well money wise.

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 21, 2023, 03:17:13 PMOk Ed but a week ago we were all depressed and looking at a 10 yr rebuild

Tommy is a feel good story, a NJ high school state champ, still lives at home.  He has given us hope and something to cheer about

And when he dropped that ball into Barkley I was astonished.  Barkley is not the worlds best receiver...the pass was perfect

I have a feeling someone is going to offer him big bucks if he wins out, and it wont be the NY Giants   thats a sad thought

I can see Belichick snapping him up

It was hilarious watching Daboll coming up with every excuse in the book to downplay the QB controversy he never ever expected.

If Devito keeps this improvement up and does win out
im curious, what would you do?  I used to be in Jones camp, now I want to see him gone.
Daboll was very complimentary in his presser. He listed all of his attributes. I thought I posted it on this thread. They wouldn't be working with Tommy and sticking with him if they didn't have plans for him being their eventual backup. If he continues to improve, I think they will protect him and BTW, I'm not sold on the Giants drafting a QB just yet. I blame Schoen and the Coaching staff for some of DJ's issues. Somewhere in there is Season One Danny Dimes and Season 4 Execution Danny and I think that's what they see. Not what I would like to see but it's possible. Arch Manning was a Redshirt Freshman for the Longhorns this year and I have to think that John Mara will be paying attention. Back to Tommy, someone mentioned his intangibles. His resilience, attitude, short memory of bad plays, and intestinal fortitude may drive him to achieve past his limitations.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

SlotCorner

I don't know where we get this QB controversy stuff from. When Tyrod Taylor comes back, he's probably the starter again unless he hasn't got the reps. DeVito is still in development, and I guarantee you Daboll thinks Tyrod is his best option to win games.

Ed Vette

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 21, 2023, 04:08:31 PMI don't know where we get this QB controversy stuff from. When Tyrod Taylor comes back, he's probably the starter again unless he hasn't got the reps. DeVito is still in development, and I guarantee you Daboll thinks Tyrod is his best option to win games.

Ok, we have you down for a guarantee and one Free Gloat Card. ;)
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

SlotCorner

Jaime

Giving Tommy Reps will only help him. Designing Game Plans that fit his skill-set will allow him to flourish.
There's been mention made that Washington has the worst Pass D in the NFL. An attempt to temper Tommy's success.
If he continues to hit those tight windows, thinking he'll remain the Starter as he hones his game.
His pocket awareness will improve with experience, as will his internal clock for releasing the Pigskin.
Just let Tommy do his thing and avoid over-coaching him. :yes:

As for Dimes, his contract has him guarenteed next season's salary. I don't believe he'll be ready to start the season due to rehab . Hence, who exactly would be interested in paying the crazy salary of an injury prone QB. To off-load Dimes we would likely have to subsidize his contract.  I see Dimes no more than a Backup next season. Then we let him walk after the 2024 season.

Dgoodmantrublu

He missed multiple other plays that could have resulted in TDs. He causes 6 of the 9 sacks himself. He's not a starting level QB.

T200

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 21, 2023, 04:08:31 PMI don't know where we get this QB controversy stuff from. When Tyrod Taylor comes back, he's probably the starter again unless he hasn't got the reps. DeVito is still in development, and I guarantee you Daboll thinks Tyrod is his best option to win games.

I wouldn't call it a controversy. QBs 1 and 2 can't stay healthy enough to finish the season. QB1 will be on the roster due to his contract. I personally don't see Schoen carrying another injury-prone QB who is also using up valuable cap space. Meanwhile, QB3 is showing he has something (so far) that can help the team, even if it is in a limited role.

I'm not saying I'm sold on TD Tommy but if it's him or Tyrod, I'm going with the kid. I think Schoen will also. Keep in mind he and Daboll drafted him so they obviously thought enough of him to sign him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Woody on November 20, 2023, 03:40:56 PMa better question is ....IF Tyrod comes back who plays ...Tommy or Tyrod ?

It's unbelievable how I thought that we had fixed the issue of physical (un)reliability of our starting QB by signing an experienced backup QB like Tyrod. Proved to be far than ideal, where the backup QB goes down in the second game in a row.