News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tommy or Tyrod?

Started by MightyGiants, November 27, 2023, 08:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Quote from: LennG on November 27, 2023, 10:49:19 AMNot to hijack this thread but are we sure we are still playing on MNF?. Can they move a bad game for something else?
They could move it, but I feel like the deadline to do so has passed.  Not 100% certain on that.

edit:  No later than 12 days in advance.  so could still be moved.

https://www.nfl.com/schedules/flexible-scheduling-procedures

madbadger

One is at the tail end of his career while the other is just starting his. Play the guy who could have a future with your franchise. It's not brain surgery.

Dgoodmantrublu

Chicken crap or dog crap. Which is better. That is what this choice is.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 27, 2023, 08:46:28 AMAssuming Tyrod comes off IR after the bye, who would you start on Monday Night against the Packers?

tommy. tyrod is probably out of the league in another year or 2. we have a solid backup brewing in tommy who somehow- is probably going to push jones for playing time next year. he will probably also start the season as i dont believe jones will be back until maybe week 3-4. he's got a nice audition period for the rest of the season. tommy is the future- in one way or another, either as a backup or starter. tyrod is at the very end of his career.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 27, 2023, 08:46:28 AMAssuming Tyrod comes off IR after the bye, who would you start on Monday Night against the Packers?
Rich: As I stated in another thread, I think Schoen all but said good-bye to Tyrod in today's presser. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Quick Kick

If the game actually mattered, I would go with Tyrod as he gives us a better chance of winning.  However, he is not a long term answer due to his age.  OTOH, Tommy is developing and what better time than a meaningless game to give him experience and see if he can develop into something the Giants can use in the future.

BluesCruz

The Blue Banter guys noted the reveal Daboll gave in his presser about working with Tommy.

Apparently TD comes back to the sidelines with a detailed description of everything he is seeing pre and post snap- and he sees ALOT, right down to who is showing what shoulder during the post snap, and why Tommy makes the reads he does

Also the Banter guys finally recognized what Ive been seeing all along

When Tommy sees an opportunity, he releases very very quickly....he processes and releases the ball at a speed and accuracy Jones can only dream of....and he delivers the ball right in the receivers sweet spot

IMHO Going back to Jones even after the small sample size we have had so far would be dumb as a post
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Bob In PA

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 28, 2023, 10:16:23 AMWhen Tommy sees an opportunity, he releases very very quickly
Blues: Yeah, I thought I saw the same thing, so we're probably correct, but there's more to consider.

When DeVito does that, I have to watch more tape because I think it's always on his first "read." In other words, that's where he wants to go right after the snap, so if his WR gets open immediately, he throws to him.

The other problem is... when that does NOT work out for him, he still has trouble finding his 2nd and 3rd "reads" which explains why he takes so many sacks.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

sooners56

Easy answer and the answer is Tommy!!!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 28, 2023, 11:34:33 AMBlues: Yeah, I thought I saw the same thing, so we're probably correct, but there's more to consider.

When DeVito does that, I have to watch more tape because I think it's always on his first "read." In other words, that's where he wants to go right after the snap, so if his WR gets open immediately, he throws to him.

The other problem is... when that does NOT work out for him, he still has trouble finding his 2nd and 3rd "reads" which explains why he takes so many sacks.

Bob

I agree. I don't see a quick processor, but a guy who is willing to throw his man open at times and has more arm talent than one would expect of an undrafted prospect. But even sometimes on his first read, TD sometimes waits for the player to come open before delivering (specific Hyatt catch last week comes to mind where he didn't allow for extra yardage because ball was late). Not trying to take the kid to task for it, I'm just not as rosy about him.

Jaime

I'm stoked to see the unrealized upside of Tommy D. I'm in the Camp that believes Tommy can offer us more than just being a Backup :goteam:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jaime on November 28, 2023, 06:55:58 PMI'm stoked to see the unrealized upside of Tommy D. I'm in the Camp that believes Tommy can offer us more than just being a Backup :goteam:
It's possible Jaime. I was hoping to see him avoid the sacks and hit some of the open options but upon reviewing the all-22, he really did have a pretty good game.

All the issues are correctable with experience. He processes well, has a decent arm and release. He commands the huddle. He isn't afraid to take a hit to deliver a pass. He moves within the pocket and can roll out and pass on the run and we'll all know his leadership and intangibles.

It's just too early to declare anything right now but as you say, the potential is certainly there. He had too many naysayers to begin with that have been stubborn to give him any credit, in order to save face or because it's just too damn incredible for it to happen.

One game at a time.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jaime

Ed, I totally believe Tommy's internal clock will improve with the experience afforded him by playing out the string this season. :ok: 

T200

Quote from: Jaime on November 28, 2023, 09:15:44 PMEd, I totally believe Tommy's internal clock will improve with the experience afforded him by playing out the string this season. :ok: 
I'm happy for him as well. I agree with you that the more games he plays, the slower things will get for him and he'll make better plays.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 28, 2023, 11:34:33 AMBlues: Yeah, I thought I saw the same thing, so we're probably correct, but there's more to consider.

Bob

Tommy has stated its a razor thin timeline waiting for a man open or laying down
He is actively seeking a target all the time he is standing.  I like how he fake pumps and often looks off the real target

Jone just dumps it off rather than peruse the field like that

You would need the all 22 to see what DeVito is seeing.   The Blue Banter guys fell into
Tommy's camp and actually apologized to DeVito when they got their All 22 view
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"