News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Trade up in round one for a QB or take one in round two?

Started by MightyGiants, December 01, 2023, 09:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your preference?  (explanation of the scenario below)

uconnjack8

I voted to trade up to get the QB.  To me that only applies if you have one QB rated well above the rest.  There is so many scenarios that can play out prior to the draft at this point it's impossible to predict anything.  My vote is more about just wanting to get the right QB.

Painter

I for one have no clue what the Giants may do in 2024 Draft given that if they win just one more game, they could be picking later than needed to grab someone like LSU's Jayden Daniels. Otherwise, I don't see them trading up given that are so heavily cap cost invested in DJ next season, both live and dead.

Frankly, I suspect that Schoen/Daboll & Co. might feel relieved to find themselves drafting late enough to not have to even think about finding DJ's replacement unless and until his "trial" is over and his cost becomes more bearable.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Good idea for a poll Rich.

For me this is an easy answer (albeit I fully respect that many will strongly disagree with me). My answer is definitely that I would want to trade up, including really paying up if necessary, provided our front office has a strong view and the opportunity to move up is there.

My rationale for this is straightforward: you aren't in a position to draft a QB you believe will be great very often, and so when you are, you need to be willing to do what it takes. Whatever price they have to pay will be nothing if they are right in their long term view on the player being a star. Obviously, there is immense risk and downside that goes along with that, and I completely understand that. I'm comfortable accepting that kind of risk provided the due diligence has been done and the high conviction level is there from our front office.

Barring unique, rare exceptions, you need a very good to great QB to have a lot of postseason success in this league. And significant postseason success is my personal aspiration for this team as a fan. I care less about the difference between being mediocre and bad than maybe some fans do. I'd much rather risk being really bad in a bid to be great than have a higher floor and a lower ceiling. That's just me. I'm not saying my way is the only or right way to look at it. I appreciate that it's brutal to have a 4-13 type season, and maybe some fans would be content to have the types of seasons we had in 2022 in perpetuity if it meant we could avoid the really bad years. I would rather always be aspiring to win Super Bowls though, and I simply don't think they're realistically attainable in today's NFL without upper echelon QB play.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Painter on December 01, 2023, 12:27:30 PMI for one have no clue what the Giants may do in 2024 Draft given that if they win just one more game, they could be picking later than needed to grab someone like LSU's Jayden Daniels. Otherwise, I don't see them trading up given that are so heavily cap cost invested in DJ next season, both live and dead.

Frankly, I suspect that Schoen/Daboll & Co. might feel relieved to find themselves drafting late enough to not have to even think about finding DJ's replacement unless and until his "trial" is over and his cost becomes more bearable.

Cheers!

I think if when said "trial" is up and the team feels its time to move on from DJ, it will also be moving on from Daboll and Schoen. 

Rosehill Jimmy

Depending upon our ultimate draft slot is, trading up may not require paying a kings ransom.  It's one reason why I wasn't as upset as some others were following the recent wins. 
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Jaime

Sit tight with Tommy D. The Rook will prove worthy of our patience.  :yes: 

Stringer Bell

Not a fan of any of the poll options.

Have 0 interest in trading up. None. This team has far too many holes to be trading away picks.

Have little interest in the second tier guys in this class. Assuming Williams, Maye, Daniels, Nix, and McCarthy go in the first, that leaves Penix as the only QB left worthy of consideration in round 2, and I'm not interested in his injury history.

Not a fan of reaching for a guy, as they should be in a position to select an elite edge rusher or OT to replace Neal.

So in short, not interested in wasting a draft pick on someone who's not my guy (Maye), as I think this class will disappoint.

EDjohnst1981

I'd go for trade up if your guy is there. If you think he's gonna be elite for ten plus years you have to grab him.

No guarantees that this works but if you don't have an elite or at least high level QB, you don't have a QB.