News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Elephant in the Room- What to do if TommyD runs the Table- (guests can vote)

Started by BluesCruz, December 03, 2023, 10:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Giants do if TommyD runs the table?

You may only select up to 2 options.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 03, 2023, 01:32:36 PMThe Patriots are 2-9 with a -100 points differential. They're currently slated to pick second in the draft. How many teams in the NFL would you say they're better than?

Well they did beat the Bills, We didnt
Patriots need a QB.  They are good team with a bad QB.  Mac Jones life of success from Alabama to today has hit a sinkhole this year.  He has a noodle for an arm.  Maybe he has an undisclosed injury. Commanders too- Sam whats his face is terrible 

Jones has also totally unraveled
Tommy DeVito is better in every respect but the rushing yds.  He has had great coaching coming to us "Ready to Wear"

I see DeVito as a coach on the field.  His football knowledge is astonishing as is his release and accuracy and confidence.  He has the tools to be a top 10 QB...  if we released Tommy right now he would get a ton of offers.....if we paid off Jones cap hit, and put Jones on the market there would be very scant interest.  If Jones were a golfer you would say he has the yips
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 03, 2023, 02:15:58 PMWell they did beat the Bills, We didnt
Patriots need a QB.  They are good team with a bad QB.  Mac Jones life of success from Alabama to today has hit a sinkhole this year.  He has a noodle for an arm.  Maybe he has an undisclosed injury. Commanders too- Sam whats his face is terrible 

Jones has also totally unraveled
Tommy DeVito is better in every respect but the rushing yds.  He has had great coaching coming to us "Ready to Wear"

I see DeVito as a coach on the field.  His football knowledge is astonishing as is his release and accuracy and confidence.  He has the tools to be a top 10 QB...  if we released Tommy right now he would get a ton of offers.....if we paid off Jones cap hit, and put Jones on the market there would be very scant interest.  If Jones were a golfer you would say he has the yips

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were very high on Davis Webb as well, right? Weren't you talking about the Giants running with him long term? Do you view DeVito as even better than Webb?

Also, should we be giving DeVito somewhat of a pass for not putting more points on the board given the Giants' front office failed to follow through on your strong suggestion (you brought it up numerous times last spring/summer) that they bring in Usain Bolt to play wide receiver for us? If they had listened to you and done that, would we be putting up much bigger point totals this year and not be the single worst offense in the league in terms of points per game?

BluesCruz

Usain Bolt.....yes, if he can track and catch a football, who could stay with him? And he is a big man- huge for a sprinter
Actually I seem to remember olt did get NFL interest but he's 37 yr old now

Webb played very well in his limited appearances.....who knows
We will never know about these two.  Only 32 people get to start at QB in the NFL.  That leaves 8 billion others.....maybe some are better but dont get the shot

One retired and the other persued a career in coaching....perhaps too soon

could Webb have played worse than "dump it off" Jones?  one wonders. inquiring minds want to know

Hey who though Bo Jackson could play baseball?  Some people have supernatural powers.

Yes DeVito is better than Webb.  DeVito is better than half the NFL starting QBs.  I wonder how Webb's coaching career is going

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 03, 2023, 03:22:34 PMUsain Bolt.....yes, if he can track and catch a football, who could stay with him? And he is a big man- huge for a sprinter

Webb played very well in his limited appearances.....who knows
We will never know about these two.  Only 32 people get to start at QB in the NFL.  That leaves 8 billion others.....maybe some are better but dont get the shot

One retired and the other persued a career in coaching....perhaps too soon

could Webb have played worse than "dump it off" Jones?  one wonders. inquiring minds want to know

Hey who though Bo Jackson could play baseball?  Some people have supernatural powers.
No Inquiring minds don't want to know because they already realize that Davis Webb can't play otherwise he'd be on a field somewhere playing.

Usain bolt has supernatural powers now?

Look man you can say whatever you want, that is your right, but if you calmed down on the absurd occasionally ie Brightwell is a better back than Barkley, Davis Webb, and Usain Bolt etc then it might be easier to have a logical conversation about how Tommy has looked decent and could be a really good #2 for us thus saving a ton of money on a potential backup when we draft a guy. We though can't even have that conversation because you now think a kid that still lives with his mom and barely beat 2 of the worst teams in football is going to lead us to the promise land. It's a great story, good for the kid, but the last thing yhe Giants need is ok QB play. We need someone elite, and while Devito has been fun, I haven't seen elite.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 03, 2023, 04:01:56 PMI'd bet the Jets wish they had Tommy DeVito today.
Even Danny Jones would struggle behind that Jets offensive line.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 03, 2023, 04:01:56 PMI'd bet the Jets wish they had Tommy DeVito today.

I was thinking an option for the Jets next year might be Tyrod Taylor. They need a reasonably solid veteran backup who can step in if Rodgers goes down, and I don't see Taylor returning for us under any circumstances. Since Taylor is now situated locally, he might take slightly less than the best offer elsewhere to play for them.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 03, 2023, 04:33:23 PMI was thinking an option for the Jets next year might be Tyrod Taylor. They need a reasonably solid veteran backup who can step in if Rodgers goes down, and I don't see Taylor returning for us under any circumstances. Since Taylor is now situated locally, he might take slightly less than the best offer elsewhere to play for them.
I think the Jets make the playoffs and win a game if they had tyrod this year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 03, 2023, 05:30:14 PMI think the Jets make the playoffs and win a game if they had tyrod this year.

I would agree. Their QB play has been beyond horrid. Neither Wilson nor Doyle are good enough to be NFL backups. The Jets have had practice squad level QB play all season and have still won some games (including beating the Eagles). They'd be a solid team with Tyrod and a serious contender with even the 9th or 10th best starter.

uconnjack8

When a team is a real contender for a championship it's a mistake to not have a Tyrod Taylor type of backup.

coggs

Are the Giants opponents alternating between the Commanders and the Patriots the rest of the way?  No.  Ok, they will be lucky to win another game.

Ed Vette

The Packers look awful tough. If Tommy and the Giants beat them, then we have to take him seriously.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jaime

Just don't understand the lack of love for Tommy D?
Four of our remaining six opponents are hovering around .500. If he's able to win a couple games, and play well in the losses, why overlook him?
Tommy D. is working with a sorely lacking OL, mediocre WR's, an inconsistent running game, and questionable Coaching.
Let him stand on his own merits.

BluesCruz

Tommy for 2024 stater has pulled into the lead over new college QB

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jaime on December 04, 2023, 12:44:13 AMJust don't understand the lack of love for Tommy D?
Four of our remaining six opponents are hovering around .500. If he's able to win a couple games, and play well in the losses, why overlook him?
Tommy D. is working with a sorely lacking OL, mediocre WR's, an inconsistent running game, and questionable Coaching.
Let him stand on his own merits.
So you'd rather them stick with Tommy over possibly drafting an elite Qb and still having Tommy on the roster?