News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Realistic QB draft options

Started by MightyGiants, February 06, 2024, 08:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I hear fans and some pundits expressing views of what the Giants should do in the draft, that, in my opinion, are just not realistic.

1)  Trade up for one of the three elite QBs.  I think it's a given the QBs are going to go 1, 2, 3, and teams needing a QB are not going to trade away that opportunity.

2)  The Giants should draft Nix, McCarthy, or Penix in the second round.  I seriously doubt any of them will be there at 2, unless Penix fails his physical.

3) I think this may be an option, but not one the Giants could count on, is the idea of trading back up for one of the three QBs, and even then I think the odds are against any of the second-tier QBs lasting past the early 20s (again, unless Penix flunks his physical)

Now that leaves the following realistic options:

1) Take a second-tier QB at 6

2) The team likes 2 or 3 of the second-tier QBs and they trade down a couple of spots

3) The team bets on a long shot and hopes one of the 3 drops to near the bottom of round one and the team is able to trade up and get him. If they go that way they need a strong plan B.

4) The Giants wait until round 3 or 4 and look at 3rd tier QBs like Rattler, Pratt, or maybe Devin Leary (a bit later)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I think there's a QB in this draft that Schoen and Daboll want to see in Blue. I also think they will do everything reasonable to get him. If he's not available, I don't think they will draft a QB just to have one.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 06, 2024, 08:52:36 AMI think there's a QB in this draft that Schoen and Daboll want to see in Blue. I also think they will do everything reasonable to get him. If he's not available, I don't think they will draft a QB just to have one.

I agree to an extent.  I suspect the Giants see a QB (or more) they want in the top tier, but it's highly unlikely they will be able to get him.  I have no idea how they view tier 3, or if there is a diamond in the rough, they like in the later rounds.  If there is a quarterback outside the out-of-reach Elite 3, I think the Giants will try their best to grab him.  If there isn't, they will pass and work on fixing the team
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

NFL Insider Albert Breer was asked about the Giants, quarterbacks, and the draft

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

My gut tells me they won't go for one of the top QBs andwill go for an ER (Dallas, Verse, Chop, or Latu) or stud OT/OG (Alt, Fuaga or Jackson Powers-Johnson). I believe they'll give DJ one more year to prove his case, or move on a QB next year...Shedeur Sanders, Carson Beck, or Qwinn Ewers, etc.

In any case, it is my overwhelming firm opinion that they should trade down, but not worse than 15-17, and hopefully pick up another 2nd and more. I guess we shall see. I have a hunch they'll draft a later QB to groom...perhaps Joe Milton III (Tennessee), Michael Pratt (Tulane), or Sam Hartman (Notre Dame)  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

brownelvis54

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 06, 2024, 11:35:56 AMMy gut tells me they won't go for one of the top QBs andwill go for an ER (Dallas, Verse, Chop, or Latu) or stud OT/OG (Alt, Fuaga or Jackson Powers-Johnson). I believe they'll give DJ one more year to prove his case, or move on a QB next year...Shedeur Sanders, Carson Beck, or Qwinn Ewers, etc.

In any case, it is my overwhelming firm opinion that they should trade down, but not worse than 15-17, and hopefully pick up another 2nd and more. I guess we shall see. I have a hunch they'll draft a later QB to groom...perhaps Joe Milton III (Tennessee), Michael Pratt (Tulane), or Sam Hartman (Notre Dame)  :-??

Pratt or Spencer Rattler, maybe Milton, but Hartman looks like trash
The KING is in the building

katkavage

There are no givens in the draft with the exception of Williams and Harrison going in the top five. The evaluation period has not really begun with the top QBs. Free agency hasn't started yet and that will effect the draft. I see risers and fallers. I see significant trades coming. It should be fun because nothing is set in stone as of February 6.

spiderblue43

JPJ at #6? Hmmm. He was dominant at the Senior Bowl. I'm tempted about Bowers. He is such a winner..but that seems high too. He would make any qb look better.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: spiderblue43 on February 06, 2024, 12:11:32 PMJPJ at #6? Hmmm. I tempted about Bowers. He is such a winner..but that seems high too. He would make any qb look better.

I agree that it's too early in the draft. Hence, my opinion is to trade back a few spots if the opportunity arises...just not too far back. JPJ will probably go between 12-22 would be my guess

He's a stud and would plug in either side of JMS for the next decade, and take over C if JMS gets hurt. A caveat of course, it's only my opinion which in the grand scheme of things (in the immortal words of Matt Foley) amounts to "Jack Squat"

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 06, 2024, 11:35:56 AMI believe they'll give DJ one more year to prove his case, or move on a QB next year...Shedeur Sanders, Carson Beck, or Qwinn Ewers, etc.
Jolly: Don't forget about the guy from Penn State. 

He's going to be very good this coming year.

However, I could see him staying for his senior year, even if he does as well as I think he will do.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on February 06, 2024, 12:09:23 PMThere are no givens in the draft with the exception of Williams and Harrison going in the top five. The evaluation period has not really begun with the top QBs. Free agency hasn't started yet and that will effect the draft. I see risers and fallers. I see significant trades coming. It should be fun because nothing is set in stone as of February 6.

Most of the QB prospects were expected to declare or enter the draft all season.  Teams already have quite a bit on them.  The one exception was McCarthy, who no one was sure would declare.  I think Penix could rise or fall based on his physical.  I think McCarthy could rise or fall based on more information.

The Combine throwing and measurements might move the needle slightly.

The interviews and whiteboard work could ding or boost a candidate a bit, but at this point, I think teams have a pretty good idea of how both of these will go, but you can never rule out surprises.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 06, 2024, 12:26:28 PMI agree that it's too early in the draft. Hence, my opinion is to trade back a few spots if the opportunity arises...just not too far back. JPJ will probably go between 12-22 would be my guess

He's a stud and would plug in either side of JMS for the next decade, and take over C if JMS gets hurt. A caveat of course, it's only my opinion which in the grand scheme of things (in the immortal words of Matt Foley) amounts to "Jack Squat"

Did they scout JPJ ..maybe living in a trailer..down by the river..?

MightyGiants

@Jolly Blue Giant @spiderblue43

One thing to remember is that teams don't trade back if they have only a single draft target.  They trade back when they have more draft targets than slots they will drop, or they are given an offer that is too good to pass up.  We witnessed the one-spot trade down for a player last year when the Giants traded up a slot for Banks.  The team trading wanted to make sure the Giants were drafting the guy they were targeting. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

McCarthy is not going to last till the second round. He's a winner and he's got the arm talent of a first rounder.

This silly trope being pushed by fans and mocketeers that he's nothing more than a game manager is annoying. When they were in their drafts no one was claiming that Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees were transcendent talents who could single handedly put a team on his back and will it to wins. Every one of those guys had more questions about them than McCarthy does right now.

gregf

I was ok with over drafting Jones at 6. The Giants felt he was the guy.   It didn't work and I'd be hesitant to repeat.  We have missed out on too many blue chip players and I don't think we will bypass one at 6.
     I do feel confident that our GM can target a trade up in mid rounds to grab McCarthy if he falls into the sweet spot.
    I'm surprised nobody has tossed around Fields name yet.  Reading a second may put him in play.