News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

College Transfer Portal

Started by dasher, April 24, 2024, 04:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

Just a fun fact. Ourlads has narratives on the top 13 QB's in this year's draft.
10 of them got to their current school by way of the portal. The only three who stayed at their original school are Drake Maye, J J McCarthy and Michael Pratt.
Means nothing, perhaps, but interesting never the less.

Jclayton92

Going forward I expect about 85% of the Qbs will have at least been to 2 schools by the time they enter the draft.

The only ones that won't will lijely be Qbs that earn the job early in college so stay at the same school or a high school phenom.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 24, 2024, 06:24:30 PMGoing forward I expect about 85% of the Qbs will have at least been to 2 schools by the time they enter the draft.

The only ones that won't will lijely be Qbs that earn the job early in college so stay at the same school or a high school phenom.

I believe it will be a good test in their character.  Ewers did not want to compete against Stroud.  Never even tried.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 24, 2024, 06:31:49 PMI believe it will be a good test in their character.  Ewers did not want to compete against Stroud.  Never even tried.
Yeah the only time I won't hold it against them is when a coach leaves to another program and so they go elsewhere.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 24, 2024, 06:56:35 PMYeah the only time I won't hold it against them is when a coach leaves to another program and so they go elsewhere.

I agree with you there.

MightyGiants

Quote from: dasher on April 24, 2024, 04:15:21 PMJust a fun fact. Ourlads has narratives on the top 13 QB's in this year's draft.
10 of them got to their current school by way of the portal. The only three who stayed at their original school are Drake Maye, J J McCarthy and Michael Pratt.
Means nothing, perhaps, but interesting never the less.

I think there are two things about the portal:

1)  It ends the idea of a player being good but hampered by the system he played in

2)  I think it ends the small school prospect makes good in the NFL, story
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

I can't help but think of all the guys who never got much of a chance to show their stuff before the portal because they stayed at their school and "waited their turn" like a good soldier. They must be sitting at home thinking, "If only....".  :(
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

uconnjack8

I don't think entering the portal has much to do with "character" and the idea that player "a" didnt want to compete with player "b" could be true but there are plenty of other reasons to transfer as well.

For example if a QB is the 2nd best QB in the nation but the best QB is the one playing in front of him, I don't blame him for leaving one bit.  Sitting on the bench  gives these guys no chance to impress scouts.  I would actually wonder about "character" more if the a guy is content to be a backup rather than go somewhere he could start. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 25, 2024, 02:29:04 PMI don't think entering the portal has much to do with "character" and the idea that player "a" didnt want to compete with player "b" could be true but there are plenty of other reasons to transfer as well.

For example if a QB is the 2nd best QB in the nation but the best QB is the one playing in front of him, I don't blame him for leaving one bit.  Sitting on the bench  gives these guys no chance to impress scouts.  I would actually wonder about "character" more if the a guy is content to be a backup rather than go somewhere he could start. 
Then there are guys like Tyler Baron who's started for ED for Tennessee who entered the portal to get a bag, and committed and enrolled at Ole Miss in January then backed out at the final moment and went to Louisville. Now two months later he's back in the portal and headed back to Ole Miss for some reason and he'll likely be a 3rd round pick next year with question marks.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 04:16:51 PMThen there are guys like Tyler Baron who's started for ED for Tennessee who entered the portal to get a bag, and committed and enrolled at Ole Miss in January then backed out at the final moment and went to Louisville. Now two months later he's back in the portal and headed back to Ole Miss for some reason and he'll likely be a 3rd round pick next year with question marks.

I am sure there are guys who use it for the wrong reasons.  Just don't think that every transfer means the guy has a character issue.   

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 25, 2024, 04:34:42 PMI am sure there are guys who use it for the wrong reasons.  Just don't think that every transfer means the guy has a character issue.   
agreed