News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants send a message to Daniel Jones, via their beat reporter

Started by MightyGiants, April 29, 2024, 09:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Paul Schwartz tends to publish whatever the Giants wish to be published.  So this commentary in his latest article is likely what the Giants wanted Jones to hear (just indirectly) in my opinion.

It does no one any good to sugarcoat any of this. Jones needs to accept what the Giants tried to do on draft night, use it to fuel his comeback. Show some defiance. Outwardly, Jones does not show much of anything. Inwardly, he must do everything in his power to send a message to the Giants that trying to replace him was foolhardy. The deck might be stacked against him but that does not mean he has no shot.

https://x.com/NYPost_Schwartz/status/1784926790361702467

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Daniel is an astute young man. I'm sure he could read the tea leafs.

It's down to him to justify the pay cheque with both availability and performance.

Gmo11

Motivation and work ethic have never been things I question about Jones.  His ability to play NFL football on the other hand...

Meaning I don't think any sort of message even needs to be sent.  He's trying to be the absolute best he can be every year he's just not very good at this.  Few people are.  That's why they get paid so much money! 

I don't think Maye would have been much better though so I'm kinda glad that deal never actually happened.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on April 29, 2024, 09:57:21 AMMotivation and work ethic have never been things I question about Jones.  His ability to play NFL football on the other hand...

Meaning I don't think any sort of message even needs to be sent.  He's trying to be the absolute best he can be every year he's just not very good at this.  Few people are.  That's why they get paid so much money! 

I don't think Maye would have been much better though so I'm kinda glad that deal never actually happened.

You make a very fair point.  Although, I suspect the Giants would like to see Jones show a bit more fire and passion. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

He absolutely needs to show more fire and passion.  I definitely question whether Daboll and Schoen really need to send that message through the media, though.  If they feel they need to do it that way they're pretty shitty leaders and have been way too soft on DJ.  It's time to suck it up and perform or go home, simple as that.

EDjohnst1981

I also think this is a message to fans who are in two groups, for the want of better phrase:

Group A - those who want to move on the message was we know you think we need to move from Jones, we tried.

Group B - those who want to give Jones a weapon and a line etc. We are now out of excuses, he's having a beer in the last chance saloon. If he wants another drink, he sure as hell better produce.

Uncle Mickey

If Daniel goes into a shell it would be bad. But if he uses this as fuel for the fire it could be a big positive.

He came in last year on a mission. I don't think his preseason performance was a fluke. The issue was preseason doesn't reveal the warts of an OL nearly as much as the regular season does. The OL was the major contributing factor behind the offense falling apart and Bobby Johnson was a big part of that too.

If that theory is correct then he could perhaps have a big rebound this year. Though I so badly wanted Maye I can also accept that Daniel could be pretty good with a better cast too.

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 29, 2024, 10:13:24 AMHe absolutely needs to show more fire and passion.  I definitely question whether Daboll and Schoen really need to send that message through the media, though.  If they feel they need to do it that way they're pretty shitty leaders and have been way too soft on DJ.  It's time to suck it up and perform or go home, simple as that.

Parcells was famous for sending messages via the press.  I am pretty sure most don't consider him a "shitty leader"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 10:07:56 AMYou make a very fair point.  Although, I suspect the Giants would like to see Jones show a bit more fire and passion. 

I think he has an interal fire burning to be good. He just doesn't show it overtly kinda like Eli.

That's not necessarily an issue in my mind at least.

TONKA56

The one thing we really don't know about Jones is how much his teammates genuinely believe in his leadership and trust his ability to win games.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 10:07:56 AMYou make a very fair point.  Although, I suspect the Giants would like to see Jones show a bit more fire and passion. 

That's never been who he is. It would be forced. And people can tell when you're pretending to be something you're not (especially these guys, who brim with confidence). He was chosen to be the stoic, lead-by-example QB akin to Eli--except that only works if you're good enough on the field, which Jones has not proven to be. Assuredly all respect Jones, but Saquon was the emotional leader of the team.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 29, 2024, 10:21:51 AMI think he has an interal fire burning to be good. He just doesn't show it overtly kinda like Eli.

That's not necessarily an issue in my mind at least.

Eli was a quiet leader, but Eli was smarter than most give him credit for.  While he had that quiet, laid-back public demeanor, he was also clever enough to send messages when they needed to be sent.  The quiet laid back leadership style is a tough one for an NFL QB to pull off.  I suspect the more firey leadership style is easier to pull off, and it seems like the Giants would like to see Jones try. 

I remember a month or so ago, Phil Simms saying words to the effect of, he need to adopt an "FU, I am going to win and keep my job" attitude
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

I know I've been pretty harsh on Jones and Eric Gray recently, but for the record I'm going to be 100% supportive of both once the season starts.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 29, 2024, 10:24:27 AMThat's never been who he is. It would be forced. And people can tell when you're pretending to be something you're not (especially these guys, who brim with confidence). He was chosen to be the stoic, lead-by-example QB akin to Eli--except that only works if you're good enough on the field, which Jones has not proven to be. Assuredly all respect Jones, but Saquon was the emotional leader of the team.

I am likening it to the Tom Coughlin transformation.   Tom didn't change who he was, he just made some minor adjustments to his approach so people could see who he was all about.  I suspect Jones could do something similar.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE