News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

McKinney injured himself ATVing

Started by MightyGiants, November 07, 2022, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

With our luck someone will get injured playing Scrabble.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: zephirus on November 07, 2022, 12:31:08 PMThis is why I'm advocating for stripping of his captaincy only.  You have to understand the message sent to the rest of the team in addition to the context of the individual player.  This has no monetary recourse, but illustrates the level of discipline Daboll should require of his players with regards to maintaining their physical health.

I'm totally fine with stripping the captaincy and I'm even ok with some degree of financial consequences. I never said there should be zero conesequences. I just think making a snap decision to get rid of him based solely on this or to really severely punish him would be excessive as he has a clean record outside of this and has, to my knowledge at least, been a good Giant both on the field and off.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 07, 2022, 12:26:26 PMI can't help but feel calling this a "mistake" is understating things a bit.  To me, a mistake is dropping an INT or committing a dumb penalty.    This was a deliberate violation, and as a result of his willful disregard, his teammates will pay the price.

No need to argue semantics obviously, but just to respond, to me a mistake in this context is a bad decision resulting from poor judgment. A "mistake" can absolutely be a deliberate action. If poor judgment led to a bad decision that you later regret, to me that's a mistake.

I'm not intending to understate or downplay what he did. He used poor judgment and as a result the whole team will now suffer. Obviously the situation is very regrettable. I don't think by itself this makes him a terrible person though (and I appreciate you did not say that).

Trench

In hindsight how thankful now are we that Schoen decided to take a flyer on Landon Collins

GordonGekko80

Slugsy-Narrows

Here we go.........

Overreaction at its finest!

Come on people!

Yes he mashed up a hand and will be out a few weeks.

Voiding contracts, potential trade bait to move up in the draft etc is a bit hyperbole is it not?

He messed up!

Let his team, coaches, fellow players and fans down!

Before we put his head on a spike to warn all others from making further stupid mistakes, let's see how the Giants handle it and how he bounces back!

He is human!  Made a mistake, how he makes up for it and handles himself will speak volumes.

Till then let's keep him in Blue and stop with the overreaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregf

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 07, 2022, 01:54:35 PMHere we go.........

Come on people!

Voiding contracts, potential trade bait to move up in the draft etc is a bit hyperbole is it not?

He messed up!

Before we put his head on a spike to warn all others from making further stupid mistakes, let's see how the Giants handle it and how he bounces back!

He is human!  Made a mistake, how he makes up for it and handles himself will speak volumes.

I have literally taken my young children on adventures like this. Immense over reaction.   Things happen, I see no real risk unless alcohol involved.  Sometimes accidents happen

EDjohnst1981

What an absolute idiot.

A complete disregard for any recognition of how important he is to this D and the role a vet is supposed to play.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Painter

There is no overreaction, period. He was irresponsible, period. There is no excuse for that, period. The consequences are those which apply immediately to team. Whether or not, he suffers some consequence is hardly the issue as they are not comparable, period.

Cheers!

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: gregf on November 07, 2022, 02:06:19 PMI have literally taken my young children on adventures like this. Immense over reaction.   Things happen, I see no real rusk unless alcohol involved.  Sometimes accidents happen

But you and your kids did not sign a contract agreeing to not do this.  The problem isn't the ATV accident, it is that he was on the ATV in the first place.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 07, 2022, 01:54:35 PMHere we go.........

Come on people!

He messed up!

Paul,

I think fans have every right to be pissed off at McKinney for the reason you mentioned-  he let his team, his teammates, and the fans down.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimv

Injuring himself this is just a plain case of "Stupid is as stupid does." ~X(

Jclayton92

So Football players can't enjoy life outside of work... but as Ling as they are ready to help you enjoy life on Sundays? Juat don't see the issue, he didn't attack a woman, wasn't drinking, no violence, no guns, drugs, he was legit just enjoying his day off.. accidents happen... let him rest, give Belton the snaps he needs as a rookie and welcome Mckinney back in a few weeks.

Yes he makes millions, but is basically a crash test dummy for our entertainment, and is a good kid, give him a break. Unless there us some mysterious rap album I'm not aware of about to drop??

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 07, 2022, 03:47:47 PMSo Football players can't enjoy life outside of work... but as Ling as they are ready to help you enjoy life on Sundays? Juat don't see the issue, he didn't attack a woman, wasn't drinking, no violence, no guns, drugs, he was legit just enjoying his day off.. accidents happen... let him rest, give Belton the snaps he needs as a rookie and welcome Mckinney back in a few weeks.

Yes he makes millions, but is basically a crash test dummy for our entertainment, and is a good kid, give him a break. Unless there us some mysterious rap album I'm not aware of about to drop??

There is a reason those limiting clauses are in the contract.  And we just saw why.

Not slowing my roll