News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

McKinney injured himself ATVing

Started by MightyGiants, November 07, 2022, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 08, 2022, 07:12:38 AMjust like everything else, its how you do it. regular sight seeing tours like he mentioned.. very safe. but you know thats not what they were doing. theres pics of them doing wheelies...that is absolutely not allowed on those tours. they basically paid a place a good chunk of money to say "These are ours today, stay out of it", and rode them wrecklessly.

I was not aware of these pics. Can you post them or a link to them?

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on November 07, 2022, 09:10:34 PMYou could stay home and get hurt mowing the lawn.

I can't believe fans are so fickle as to really come down this hard on the guy. I'm sure he feels worse than how we feel.

Some people get something stuck in their craw and won't let it go.

The guy has been a great warrior for us and hopefully will again be. Why take anything away from him because he had an accident. I can see if he was galavanting all over on this thing, but he was on an organized tour.

Cut the guy some slack.

Len,

I think you need to cut the fans you lashed out at some serious slack.   Unlike McKinney, the fans did NOTHING wrong.  In fact, I would argue they are the ones who see the situation as one should see it, at least if they are tired of following a losing team.   Riding ATVs is an activity that is specifically mentioned in his contract that the team feels is so hazardous that getting hurt engaging in the activity voids ALL guaranteed money, and he can be placed on the NFI list where the team has no obligation to pay the player. 

When you decide to ignore the rules and then get hurt, as a result, I don't think "accident" accurately describes it.  McKinney is a team captain; he has an obligation to follow the rules not just because it's in his contract but because he is supposed to be setting an example.   Now his bad choice is hurting his teammates and coaches.   They have all invested so much of themselves into this season, so what McKinney has done to them is pretty crappy.

Look, at the end of the day, this was one bad act.   It was stupid, and it was irresponsible.   It doesn't make McKinney the worst person or even a bad person, but Len, you, and the others need to stop giving the guy a free pass.  What kind of message does that send?  What kind of culture are you creating?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

The fans pay this guys salary and have EVERY right to be furious with his inexcusable and immature decision.

If the Giants let him slide on this they are setting a precedent which may come back to haunt them down the road when others make mistakes which are contractual.

expatriot

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on November 08, 2022, 08:04:18 AMThe fans pay this guys salary and have EVERY right to be furious with his inexcusable and immature decision.

If the Giants let him slide on this they are setting a precedent which may come back to haunt them down the road when others make mistakes which are contractual.

Exactly!  regardless of if you like the guy...  regardless if you think he's been a warrior...  If you don't hold him accountable, then how can you hold anyone accountable?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

NFL.com is reporting it's a broken hand. The Giants will take what they deem is appropriate action. More information will surely follow.

What we haven't seen so far is an apology coming from X. Probably because he's been in a hospital and then traveling back home.

I'm disappointed but it gives Belton an opportunity to shine.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: LennG on November 07, 2022, 09:10:34 PMYou could stay home and get hurt mowing the lawn.

I can't believe fans are so fickle as to really come down this hard on the guy. I'm sure he feels worse than how we feel.

Some people get something stuck in their craw and won't let it go.

The guy has been a great warrior for us and hopefully will again be. Why take anything away from him because he had an accident. I can see if he was galavanting all over on this thing, but he was on an organized tour.

Cut the guy some slack.

Yes, he got hurt in an accident, although apparently there are pictures of him and his buddies using them recklessly, which if true puts it more in the nature of stupidity rather than accident.  But the real salient point is that signing up for the ATV tour in direct violation of his contract was NOT an accident, it was an intentional act.  A stupid one.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not in the draconian camp.  I don't think they should cut him, but the team has to react to this level of irresponsibility in some way.  Which is why I think a financial penalty of a couple of game checks and a football penalty of losing his captainship fits the bill.

This really isn't all that different than the Plax situation.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 08, 2022, 10:37:11 AMYes, he got hurt in an accident, although apparently there are pictures of him and his buddies using them recklessly, which if true puts it more in the nature of stupidity rather than accident.  But the real salient point is that signing up for the ATV tour in direct violation of his contract was NOT an accident, it was an intentional act.  A stupid one.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not in the draconian camp.  I don't think they should cut him, but the team has to react to this level of irresponsibility in some way.  Which is why I think a financial penalty of a couple of game checks and a football penalty of losing his captainship fits the bill.

This really isn't all that different than the Plax situation.

or even the JPP situation (just less severe)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

QuoteThis isn't the first time that a current or former NFL player has been involved in an ATV accident. Malik McDowell, a second-round pick by the Seahawks in 2017, had his career derailed by an accident before he ever played an NFL game, and former receiver Mohamed Massaquoi had his left hand amputated when his ATV rolled over in 2018.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34971820/giants-xavier-mckinney-hurts-hand-atv-accident-weeks

For some context on why it is not picking on him over going on a harmless ATV tour.  And why the standard contract prohibits it.

I'll bet anything the next year when the bye week rolls around Daboll will include in his pre-bye 'be good and be careful' speech a special emphasis on not doing things the contract prohibits.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 08, 2022, 10:49:23 AMhttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34971820/giants-xavier-mckinney-hurts-hand-atv-accident-weeks

For some context on why it is not picking on him over going on a harmless ATV tour.  And why the standard contract prohibits it.

I'll bet anything the next year when the bye week rolls around Daboll will include in his pre-bye 'be good and be careful' speech a special emphasis on not doing things the contract prohibits.

Rich,

I think one reason for fans seeing this differently is that all tours are the same.  No doubt, there are gentle tours that offer minimal risk.  There are also tours that based on the protective equipment issued and the training, pose a greater risk

Quote...get kitted out with a full-face helmet, goggles, elbow guards, and a chest protector. Hop on the 2-passenger 450cc Honda ATV and take a loop or two around the test circuit to make sure you feel comfortable. The practice loop includes all the obstacles and challenges that you'd find during your tour.

Read more about Off-Road Runners ATV Tour in Los Cabos - https://www.viator.com/tours/Los-Cabos/Off-Road-Runners-ATV-Tour-in-Los-Cabos-with-Lunch/d627-26006P3?mcid=56757
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

A pretty good breakdown of the effect on the Giants and their options on the field while X is out by Bobby Skinner:

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 08, 2022, 10:37:11 AMThis really isn't all that different than the Plax situation.

Well it kind of is in one regard. McKinney isn't getting arrested and sent to prison like Plax.   :o
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TDToomer on November 08, 2022, 02:12:49 PMWell it kind of is in one regard. McKinney isn't getting arrested and sent to prison like Plax.   :o

True.  And he didn't just torpedo the best chance the Giants ever had to win consecutive Super Bowls.

Not slowing my roll

Giant Obsession

TOTAL immaturity.  He needs a Mom or serious girlfriend to keep his mind on the straight and narrow of the dangers to your career by engaging in such fraught with potential danger activities..

Years ago, a great friend of mine, a very noted foot surgeon was joining in with a group of other neighborhood adults throwing firecrackers on the 4th of July.  Some of the wives were in the background watching them, including his wife.  I have often been accused of being a "Jewish mother", a tag I am proud of. 
Let me preface this with the fact that when I was a teenager I used to do the same thing.  Until one time I got "short fused", meaning upon lighting the fuse it immediately got consumed much quicker than normally happened.  I had only time to throw and turn and off it went.  I was deaf for the next 10 - 12 hours.  Beyond scared and the memory still haunts me 50 years later.
Anyway, I sidled over to Beth, the doctor's wife and just observed in a loud enough to be overheard voice that I sure hoped no mishap with the Chinese made firecrackers happened or a great career would probably be ended.  No fingers, no income, no nice house in the burbs, no private school for their 2 children, etc.  Beth immediately strode over to her husband in very short time and put an immediate end to his firecracker days.  She still reminds me of that day almost 30 years later.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon