News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some updates on McKinney

Started by MightyGiants, November 08, 2022, 04:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

To add: later on, they asked Daboll about discipline, and Dabs basically said no comment we keep that in-house

https://twitter.com/SNYGiants/status/1590031502099611648

https://twitter.com/SNYGiants/status/1590070754649202688

https://twitter.com/SNYGiants/status/1590071372566261760

Having heard the Daboll interview and viewing the two clips of McKinney, I feel like McKinney and the team are being a bit squirrelly about the whole thing.  Also, that is one hell of a big cast on his hand.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote"It was an unfortunate event," McKinney said, via SNY Giants. "I got into a Can-Am [off-road vehicle] accident. It kind of just basically just flipped over, not flipped over but tilted over. Fell on my hand. That's basically what happened."

QuoteMcKinney broke multiple fingers in the accident last Wednesday while the team was on its off week. He underwent surgery after returning from Mexico, and his left hand was covered in a plastic protective case as he talked to reporters Tuesday.

McKinney would not put a timeline on his return or answer whether he even will come back this season, and coach Brian Daboll allowed only that McKinney will be out "a few weeks." That much is a given. On the non-football injury list, McKinney will miss a minimum of four games.

"I feel bad for Xavier and disappointed that he got injured," Daboll said. "He'll do everything he can do to get back and be ready to go."

McKinney would not answer multiple questions about whether he was driving the ATV, and he said he was unaware that being on an ATV violated his contract.

"We were on a sightseeing tour. That's what I can tell you," McKinney said. "It was nothing that was reckless. This was just simply being able to be out in the country, seeing what it looked like. It was an unfortunate event that happened."
McKinney has played every snap this season and was the defensive signal-caller on the field, so the Giants will have a big adjustment to make on the back end of their defense. Julian Love will wear the green dot helmet as the signal caller of the defense in McKinney's absence, Art Stapleton of northjersey.com reports.

"I feel bad for him. I feel bad for us," Daboll said of McKinney. "I know he's disappointed, but you can't do anything about that now."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/08/xavier-mckinney-wont-put-timeline-on-return-after-surgery-on-multiple-fingers/

Here are some of the Cam Am tourts

https://www.getyourguide.com/los-cabos-l264/los-cabos-can-am-maverick-x3-turbo-off-road-adventure-t383032/?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=6656011602&cq_con=111738136491&cq_term=&cq_med=&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&campaign_id=6656011602&adgroup_id=111738136491&target_id=dsa-927574177669&loc_physical_ms=9003551&match_type=&ad_id=610789215507&keyword=&ad_position=&feed_item_id=&placement=&device=c&partner_id=CD951&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmaibBhCAARIsAKUlaKRV0jQH5sCCaBlwB-uYpD91whNUVdzFUIZ8WtnB4rOBsKAItppJl4gaAnyuEALw_wcB

https://www.getyourguide.com/los-cabos-l264/los-cabos-can-am-maverick-x3-turbo-off-road-adventure-t383032/?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=6656011602&cq_con=111738136491&cq_term=&cq_med=&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&campaign_id=6656011602&adgroup_id=111738136491&target_id=dsa-927574177669&loc_physical_ms=9003551&match_type=&ad_id=610789215507&keyword=&ad_position=&feed_item_id=&placement=&device=c&partner_id=CD951&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmaibBhCAARIsAKUlaKS79ieRjVKCdoWDMjKbprq9je1cYEn0ilmwXwagx5yU6C9J2Qz4kt0aArwVEALw_wcB
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

QuoteStill, McKinney took full responsibility for his actions and said he apologized to his teammates and coaches.

"I've addressed it with them, obviously," he said. "It hurts. These guys put in the work, countless hours together. I know what I've put into this game, and I know how much we have collectively, as a group, put into what we've done, to be where we're at now. So it hurts a lot for me. A mental rollercoaster for me."

QuoteThis incident also could hit his bank account hard. He makes $76,267 in salary per week, and the Giants can penalize him that amount for however long he's on the NFI list.

"I wouldn't be upset with it," McKinney said of maybe losing his salary. "I take full responsibility in what was going on. I'm an accountable person. I was just more upset about knowing that I wasn't going to be able to be here for my team."

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/11/giants-xavier-mckinney-broke-fingers-in-atv-accident-refuses-to-say-if-he-was-driving.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I actually believe him that he did not know ATVs were restricted in his contract.

LennG

Won't help us on the field, but cut the guy some slack.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Coach said it was being handled in-house. That's more than good enough for me.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Cr00zng

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 08, 2022, 04:10:53 PMI actually believe him that he did not know ATVs were restricted in his contract.
I do as well, but that doesn't really matter if he didn't know. After all, he signed the contract...

The Can-Am Maverick X3 Turbo RR is the fastest production ATV on the market, with 0 - 60 acceleration is under five seconds. It actually beat the fastest production pickup truck of RAM TRX on and off dirt road drag racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg7YUIVqMbM

If I would be at his age and put one of these under my posterior for the first time, the chances are I would have the same results. At age 24, not many people can control this thing as it should be, even the one that they have in Cabo...

I hate to see him being out for 4-5 weeks, but I trust the management to make the right decision about him, whatever it might be. Let's hope that X and others will learn from this and there will be no more of this kind of injuries...

kingm56

Quote from: Cr00zng on November 08, 2022, 05:43:46 PMI do as well, but that doesn't really matter if he didn't know. After all, he signed the contract...

The Can-Am Maverick X3 Turbo RR is the fastest production ATV on the market, with 0 - 60 acceleration is under five seconds. It actually beat the fastest production pickup truck of RAM TRX on and off dirt road drag racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg7YUIVqMbM

If I would be at his age and put one of these under my posterior for the first time, the chances are I would have the same results. At age 24, not many people can control this thing as it should be, even the one that they have in Cabo...

I hate to see him being out for 4-5 weeks, but I trust the management to make the right decision about him, whatever it might be. Let's hope that X and others will learn from this and there will be no more of this kind of injuries...

That's what his agent gets paid for; to read and brief him on his contract.

MightyGiants

Safety Xavier McKinney

Q: What happened?

A: I got into a Can-Am accident. I kind of just flipped over, not flipped over but tilted over, fell on my hand. That's basically what happened.

Q: Was your friend driving or a guide, a teammate?

A: Yeah, we were on a sightseeing tour. That's what I can tell you. It was nothing that was reckless. This was just simply being able to see, being able to be out of the country, seeing out the country, seeing what it looked like. It was just an unfortunate event that happened.

Q: Were any teammates in the thing with you?

A: No.

Q: What actually happened to your hand? What's the injury?

A: Just my fingers. I've just got a broken finger. Like I said, it was unfortunate. Luckily, and I thank God that it wasn't anything worse, but like I said, it wasn't anything that was reckless that was going on. Just kind of a freak accident.

Q: Do you need surgery? Did you go to the hospital there? Is it something you took care of when you got back here?

A: I went to the hospital over there, but I did get surgery when I got back here.

Q: Were you aware that it was prohibited in your contract to ride an ATV?

A: No.

Q: Talking to Brian and (general manager) Joe (Schoen) did they make you aware that's not something they would prefer to have you do?

A: Before this happened?

Q: After.

A: We didn't get into that. Obviously, they were more concerned about my well-being and my health and that's what I was more concerned about. We didn't get into any of that, but like I said, it was an unfortunate event. It was one of those things where it's my first time out of the country pretty much besides being out in London, so I wanted to get a visual for what it looked like. Sightseeing tour, nothing crazy. Just unfortunate.

Q: Were you driving?

A: It was a sightseeing tour.

Q: Some of those tours they give you your own to drive. Sometimes you sit in the back of one. So, what was the situation?

A: Sightseeing tour.

Q: What's the emotion that you feel for being out for your teammates?

A: Obviously it hurts. These guys, we've put in the work. Countless amount of hours together. I know what I put into this game. I know how much we have collectively as a group put into what we've done to build where we're at now. It hurts a lot for me. Mental rollercoaster for me, but I'm going to continue to be here for my team, I'm going to continue to lead how I do and just make sure that I can be able to help and provide to win these games whether I'm playing or not.

Q: You expecting to be back this season?

A: No timeline on it. I'm just trying to take it day by day, do what everybody is asking me to do. That's what I'm here for. I'll be fine.

Q: Do they expect you to have full use of your fingers?

A: Yeah, my hand will be fine. That's the good thing.

Q: Because you're on the non-football injury list they can withhold pay. Have you discussed that with them, and would you be upset if they attempted to?

A: No, I wouldn't be upset with it. Like I said, I take full responsibility in what was going on. I'm an accountable person, so for me I was just more upset about knowing that I wasn't going to be able to be here for my team. But as far as that goes, I'm still going to be able to help as much as I can. Like I said, I'm going to be in meetings, I'm going to be out there in practice, and helping as much as I can so we can keep this thing rolling.

Q: What day did that happen?

A: This happened on Wednesday (Nov. 2). Yeah, Wednesday.

Q: It's just the one finger or multiple fingers that you had surgery on?

A: This was a couple fingers.

Q: You mentioned how it was an accident, but did you apologize to Brian and your teammates for this happening?

A: Yeah, I've already addressed it with them. They kind of already knew when it happened. They were the first people to really know about it.

Q: How many fingers did you say you broke?

A: A couple.

Q: How long are you going to be in the cast?

A: That I don't know. Hopefully not too long, but we'll see. I'm going to take it day by day and next I'm going to do everything they ask me to do. We'll see where it goes.

Q: So, it's just a hand? Because you're in a sling.

A: It's the fingers. I can take it out, this is just here just to be here. It's just my fingers. It wasn't like it was my arm or anything crazy. Everything else is fine it's just my fingers.

Q: Did you fall off the thing you were on, or did you jam your fingers?

A: No, I didn't fall off. Basically, I fell on my fingers I should say. Like I said it was a freak accident. Nothing reckless was going on. The thing didn't flip over.

Q: Something fell on your hand you said?

A: Yeah, and this wasn't an ATV. It was actually a Can-Am. Which is like a bigger, you've probably seen a Can-Am before, it's just a bigger version.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Is there an official prognosis yet from Giants doctors? I know of the "at least four weeks" description but I'm curious if anything more specific has come out.

While this is a big disappointment and very frustrating, it's also a big opportunity for Dane Belton.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 09, 2022, 07:25:52 AMIs there an official prognosis yet from Giants doctors? I know of the "at least four weeks" description but I'm curious if anything more specific has come out.

While this is a big disappointment and very frustrating, it's also a big opportunity for Dane Belton.

As you are aware, the Giants play injury news close to the vest.

Here is what McKinney said:

A: No timeline on it. I'm just trying to take it day by day, do what everybody is asking me to do. That's what I'm here for. I'll be fine.

Here is what Daboll said:

Q: You think he'll return this season at some point?
A: We'll see.

The 4 weeks is just the minimum time for the NFI list
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 07:30:33 AMAs you are aware, the Giants play injury news close to the vest.

Here is what McKinney said:

Here is what Daboll said:

Q: You think he'll return this season at some point?
A: We'll see.

The 4 weeks is just the minimum time for the NFI list

Funny how we went from (if memory serves) 3-4 weeks in McKinney's initial email to now possibly out for the rest of the season.

What a disaster this was. It's not his first major injury either, and his career is still very young.