News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some updates on McKinney

Started by MightyGiants, November 08, 2022, 04:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 09, 2022, 07:44:05 AMFunny how we went from (if memory serves) 3-4 weeks in McKinney's initial email to now possibly out for the rest of the season.

What a disaster this was. It's not his first major injury either, and his career is still very young.

Yes I completely agree, the fact that he won't answer the question of whether he was driving the ATV is all you need to know that he was in fact the one driving the ATV.

He caused the accident to himself, he made a stupid mistake especially during the season which could have been avoided. He has made the team weaker, he this may cost the Giants a playoff spot if the defense isn't as strong as it was.

Bad move by him, but you can't change it now, you just have to move on.

MightyGiants

Quote from: sxdxca38 on November 09, 2022, 09:51:47 AMYes I completely agree, the fact that he won't answer the question of whether he was driving the ATV is all you need to know that he was in fact the one driving the ATV.

He caused the accident to himself, he made a stupid mistake especially during the season which could have been avoided. He has made the team weaker, he this may cost the Giants a playoff spot if the defense isn't as strong as it was.

Bad move by him, but you can't change it now, you just have to move on.

I am troubled by McKinney's lack of transparency.   My suspicion is that he wasn't driving.  I believe this for two reasons.  First, those turbo-charged hot-rod ATVs have a roll cage that protects the occupants in a rollover (or, as McKinney tried to spin in, "it tipped over").  If McKinney was driving, presumably, his hands would be on the wheel, while as a passenger, he could be grabbing onto the roll cage for support (which would explain how his hand was crushed when it flipped over).

The other thing is if someone else was driving, the next question would be, "who was driving".  That would have reporters trying to find out the identity of the driver who I assume was either a friend or a girlfriend.  So not explaining this detail would protect that person's identity.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

https://www.nfl.com/news/giants-safety-xavier-mckinney-had-fingers-surgically-repaired-after-atv-accident

Surgically repaired FINGERS........

4-6 weeks for stitches to heal and bone to mend.

With no set backs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Apparently there isn't a police report of the accident maybe because it was off road.

He's not being clear with his answers and it seems like he's protecting someone. Maybe he did something that wasn't necessarily reckless, like standing up and caused it to tip over when it hit a bump.

I do believe he was coached on what to say and how to answer.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 09, 2022, 10:02:33 AMhttps://www.nfl.com/news/giants-safety-xavier-mckinney-had-fingers-surgically-repaired-after-atv-accident

Surgically repaired FINGERS........

4-6 weeks for stitches to heal and bone to mend.

With no set backs!

Paul,

Where did you get that timeline?  I didn't see it at the link you posted.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

An absolutely awful thing to have happen

TDToomer

I feel for him. I also broke my fingers in an accident. Probably worse than his accident. I broke 2 fingers with my right ring finger broken in 10 places require it to be pined for 7 weeks. The middle finger was also pined. Does anyone know if he had pins inserted? If so I wouldn't expect him back till Christmas.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on November 09, 2022, 12:01:36 PMI feel for him. I also broke my fingers in an accident. Probably worse than his accident. I broke 2 fingers with my right ring finger broken in 10 places require it to be pined for 7 weeks. The middle finger was also pined. Does anyone know if he had pins inserted? If so I wouldn't expect him back till Christmas.

The extent of McKinney's injury has been kept secret.   As a retired EMT, I look at the mechanism of injury and I see a crushing injury.  Those sorts of injuries usually result in multiple fractures (and often lacerations) and so I would think pins may have been used and stitches were involved.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 12:05:07 PMThe extent of McKinney's injury has been kept secret.   As a retired EMT, I look at the mechanism of injury and I see a crushing injury.  Those sorts of injuries usually result in multiple fractures (and often lacerations) and so I would think pins may have been used and stitches were involved.

I had lacerations and it was pretty ugly. I still have scars and sensitivity to the cold. But it sounds like McKinney escaped any deep wounds and it's just broken bones.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on November 09, 2022, 12:10:16 PMI had lacerations and it was pretty ugly. I still have scars and sensitivity to the cold. But it sounds like McKinney escaped any deep wounds and it's just broken bones.

Why do you think he escaped any deep wounds?  It's been reported that his hand is in a removable plastic cast rather than a traditional plaster cast.   I have seen that sort of thing done when there was wound care involved which meant they would need to remove the cast from time to time.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 10:55:05 AMPaul,

Where did you get that timeline?  I didn't see it at the link you posted.
It wasn't

Just from past experience with people I know that have had surgery.

As well as look at Dak with his broken Finger and how many games he missed.

It could be longer depending on details of surgery but stitched typically 2-3 weeks to heal - broken bone a cast is in for about 4-6 weeks.

bldevil

ATVs are a lot of fun.  However, on my last ride I went over the top and then the ATV went over me.  7 broken ribs, 3 broken vertebrae, and a broken thumb ended any and all future ATV rides.  Like all accidents, it took less than a second for all that to happen.  Be careful on those things.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

spiderblue43

Well...he's not Ronnie Lott, who cut off part of a finger to play. :doh:

MightyGiants

I heard Banks and Papa take on this subject on their latest podcast

Banks-  The bye week is not a vacation week, it's a recovery week where rest is the primary goal

Papa-  any activity you need to sign an injury waiver for is not one you should be participating in
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE