News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you expect the return of Golladay to impact the WR corps?

Started by MightyGiants, November 09, 2022, 07:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Will Golladay's return improve the Giants WRS?  If so, by how much?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Good question. My answer is "probably not initially." I would be surprised if he had a big impact in the first game after missing so much in the way of practices and games to this point with this new regime. My last memory of him in a game was a crucial bad drop in a big spot, so trust levels in him are not exactly high right now. If he stays healthy I think it's plausible (though not base case) that he could build up towards being a functional player over the next 2-3 weeks. But I personally think the days of him being anything remotely close to a star player are over, and there is also clearly a scenario where he does very little and ultimately gets hurt again. Sadly, that is likely the base case. I hope he does better than that.

T200

I expect him to be better. Opposing defenses are focused on stopping Saquon and DJ from running. That should free up Golladay to see single coverage. He's a tall target at 6'4" and Kafka just needs to dial up some plays for him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

I have no idea.  I am curious to see what Kafka can get out of him.

He is the type of WR that would have fit Gilbrides offense well.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on November 09, 2022, 08:00:42 AMI expect him to be better. Opposing defenses are focused on stopping Saquon and DJ from running. That should free up Golladay to see single coverage. He's a tall target at 6'4" and Kafka just needs to dial up some plays for him.

It's true that Golladay provides a prototype that this WR corps sorely lacks. And from a selfish standpoint, if he cares about his future income, now is the time to step up.

I just don't know if his body can hold up. Seems like he's always injured, and that goes back to his Detroit days. Why would that change now?

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 09, 2022, 08:09:07 AMIt's true that Golladay provides a prototype that this WR corps sorely lacks. And from a selfish standpoint, if he cares about his future income, now is the time to step up.

I just don't know if his body can hold up. Seems like he's always injured, and that goes back to his Detroit days. Why would that change now?
Right - injuries are always the unknown x-factor.

I'd like to see Jones take some shots downfield to KG and let him go up for the catch the way he did for Stafford.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Slugsy-Narrows

I'd love for him to be a help.  Lord knows we need it.

BUT

He hasn't in 1 1/2 seasons yet.

What makes anyone believe that a few weeks off rehabbing and getting healthy makes a difference?

While healthy he did nothing. (Sorry be blocked well)

So why think that their is a magic switch that was flipped on the trainers table to make him a different player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uni

Keep in mind Golladay was injured in the middle of the Bears game, when they first installed the RG3-style offense. There's a chance that they can scheme him open and make him the first target instead of being the X receiver who can't get wide open enough for Jones to make a throw.

Gmo11

There is no reason to believe he will based on what we've seen since the day he signed here.  It's certainly possible he provides a slight improvement over the guys they've been forced to throw out there the past few weeks but he's not likely to be some sort of difference maker.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 09, 2022, 09:43:07 AMThere is no reason to believe he will based on what we've seen since the day he signed here.  It's certainly possible he provides a slight improvement over the guys they've been forced to throw out there the past few weeks but he's not likely to be some sort of difference maker.

I tend to lean this way.  The only thing that gives me a small glimmer of hope is that Golladay seemed genuinely excited about being part of a winning team.   Maybe being on one for the first time in his career might be the jumpstart his motivation needed.  A more motivated Golladay might be a more productive Golladay.

To be clear, that is a hope rather than an expectation.  I fear that all of Golladay's injuries have robbed him of some of his speed and athleticism which weren't that great to begin with.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

It won't matter unless the coaching staff are willing to be ok with Jump balls because he's not running away from anyone.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 09, 2022, 09:55:41 AMIt won't matter unless the coaching staff are willing to be ok with Jump balls because he's not running away from anyone.

My issue with the "jump ball" is that even the most prolific contested ball catcher is in the neighborhood of 50% while the catch rate of open receivers is significantly higher
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

I doubt it; if you analyze DJ strength as a passer, it's not back shoulder and/or fade passes, which are ideal for a tall, physical receiver with limited speed. DJ strength is throwing crossing or nine routes when the WR had a step.  None of those apply to KG. 

Painter

I would expect us to have learned to not use words like expect not just where Golladay is concerned but when it comes to the Giants and indeed the NFL in general.

Given his enormous cost and zero production, one thing- hopefully not the only thing- which can be said about Golladay is that it's about f**king time. Still, we don't know whether his presence on the field will do much to improve the Giants Offense as it hasn't in the past 2 1/2 years including his last with the Lions who weren't unhappy to see him leave.

I suppose we might hope that he will be able to contribute a bit more each week as the season progresses such that he might actually become a plus later as they face their more "critical" NFC East opponents. Of course, for that we will have no choice but to wait and see.

Cheers!

Jclayton92

I would like to see Golladay closer to the line, doing wheels and outs from where Engram lined up. I think that could of benefit.

I saw it used two weekends ago to perfection. Lane Kiffin was trying to get his star wr more touches and basically moved him to TE and had him doing motion, with quick outs and crossers that put the wr on Linebackers and safeties.