News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you expect the return of Golladay to impact the WR corps?

Started by MightyGiants, November 09, 2022, 07:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

After 79 offensive snaps, Golladay was targeted 6 times. Wrap your head around that folks before you answer this question.

I think opportunities will be there for Golladay and Slayton since both would be in the field but Jones has to target them even though they may have less than two yards of separation.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 07:21:10 AMWill Golladay's return improve the Giants WRS?  If so, by how much?

I have hopes, rather than expectations.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

I wouldn't expect to know this answer this Sunday because Houston is dead last against the rush. Barkley is going to go wild on them. But overall I think he will help because he's gotta. It's put up or shut up time for Golladay now that he is healthy.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

goNets

At best he'll offer a marginal improvement, but a marginal improvement can have a significant impact since Giants have been winning by the skin of their teeth. Maybe we pick an extra first down that gets us into field goal territory or gives us another option in the red zone that leaves someone unaccounted for and we get a TD instead of a field goal.
If he sleepwalks and/or sulks get hm off the field and send him to the locker room for "treatment."  Essentially it's up to him how he wants things to play out

Rambo89

Quote from: kingm56 on November 09, 2022, 10:22:09 AMI doubt it; if you analyze DJ strength as a passer, it's not back shoulder and/or fade passes, which are ideal for a tall, physical receiver with limited speed. DJ strength is throwing crossing or nine routes when the WR had a step.  None of those apply to KG. 

Which is why the signing by Gettleman made zero sense.  He went out and got a WR for the sake of getting one for Jones not one that fit his skill set.  Which is exactly what Joe Schoen avoided doing at the trade deadline.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kingm56

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 09, 2022, 12:22:46 PMWhich is why the signing by Gettleman made zero sense.  He went out and got a WR for the sake of getting one for Jones not one that fit his skill set.  Which is exactly what Joe Schoen avoided doing at the trade deadline.

Agreed! DJ is exceptionally risk averse and rarely throws into tight windows, as verified by NGS.  KG doesn't have the speed nor twitch to gain separation, which is why this marriage makes NO sense.  As ED pointed out, this isn't all on KG as he's only been targeted six times...surely the limited targets frustrates him!

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on November 09, 2022, 01:51:13 PMAgreed! DJ is exceptionally risk averse and rarely throws into tight windows, as verified by NGS.  KG doesn't have the speed nor twitch to gain separation, which is why this marriage makes NO sense.  As ED pointed out, this isn't all on KG as he's only been targeted six times...surely the limited targets frustrates him!

Matt,

How do you know what the coaches have told DJ in terms of how much risk to take?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

I don't
Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 02:33:34 PMMatt,

How do you know what the coaches have told DJ in terms of how much risk to take?

I don't. However, if his coaches are relaying that message, it solidifies the notion they lack faith in their starting QB.  Both HC and OC certainly didn't have that ethos with the Bills or KC. Moreover, it makes starting KG even more peculiar as KG has never been a WR who separates from DBs. He relies on body position, physicality and Height.  For him to be a viable target, DJ is going to have to throw into tight windows.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on November 09, 2022, 02:43:52 PMI don't
I don't. However, if his coaches are relaying that message, it solidifies the notion they lack faith in their starting QB.  Both HC and OC certainly didn't have that ethos with the Bills or KC. Moreover, it makes starting KG even more peculiar as KG has never been a WR who separates from DBs. He relies on body position, physicality and Height.  For him to be a viable target, DJ is going to have to throw into tight windows.

How do you know their lack of faith is an issue with Jones rather than their O-line and WR corps (or maybe all three)?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on November 09, 2022, 01:51:13 PMAgreed! DJ is exceptionally risk averse and rarely throws into tight windows, as verified by NGS.  KG doesn't have the speed nor twitch to gain separation, which is why this marriage makes NO sense.  As ED pointed out, this isn't all on KG as he's only been targeted six times...surely the limited targets frustrates him!
The way Daboll spoke out about Jones should have no fear earlier this year, apparently they aren't holding him back from being aggressive.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 02:45:32 PMHow do you know their lack of faith is an issue with Jones rather than their O-line and WR corps (or maybe all three)?

It would seem the lack of wr talent would necessitate the need to throw into tighter windows. Concerning the oline, NGS indicates DJs TT is more than adequate.  If your supposition is accurate, KG will never become a factor because he rarely gets separation.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on November 09, 2022, 02:43:52 PMI don't

Or maybe it is the receivers in whom they lack trust and faith? 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

I think they don't have real trust in their passing game. The QB is a part of that. So are the wide receivers.

But if we fans can easily find examples of Jones opting to go for a 6 yard check-down when a receiver has cleanly beaten his man 25 yards downfield, I can assure you that the coaches are well aware of those and likely many more examples, too.

So I'm personally not buying this idea that the coaches think they're sitting on the next Josh Allen but can't use him the way they'd like to solely because they have a bunch of stiffs at wide receiver. I think their lack of trust in the passing offense is more widespread than that.

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 02:33:34 PMMatt,

Although you may have concluded that risk aversion is in DJ's DNA, I will assume that NGS stands for Nextgen Stats and not for Next Generation Sequencing. While I don't happen to share that conclusion, what you suggest about Golladay and separation is not unreasonable. And so, we might recall Andy Reid's view, even where Mahomes is concerned, that the best way to beat tight windows is to avoid them.

Cheers!

kingm56

Quote from: Painter on November 09, 2022, 06:22:11 PMAlthough you may have concluded that risk aversion is in DJ's DNA, I will assume that NGS stands for Nextgen Stats and not for Next Generation Sequencing. While I don't happen to share that conclusion, what you suggest about Golladay and separation is not unreasonable. And so, we might recall Andy Reid's view, even where Mahomes is concerned, that the best way to beat tight windows is to avoid them.

Cheers!

I agree, Larry; however, given our WR talent, it may become necessary as teams continue to focus on Barkley and remain disciplined against our bootlegs.