News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you expect the return of Golladay to impact the WR corps?

Started by MightyGiants, November 09, 2022, 07:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on November 10, 2022, 05:03:41 PMIn Jones defense, he was coached for 2 years by an OC who looked to get first,downs, not TDs and who didn't want Jones to turn the ball over to the point that he was very risk averse.  Overly so, in my opinion.  Jones has not been working with Kafka and company that long to completely reorient himself but he's doing it in stages.  I think we give him a little more time and see.  I'm guessing we'll see some more deep throws especially when defenses crowd the line to minimize Barkley.  Also, if Golloday had anything left in the tank, and I think he might, you might find Slayton getting single coverage and I expect more deep throws.  Schoen will know by the end of the year if he doesn't already.

Schoen was clear that they're still figuring Jones out and that the next 9 games matters. So whether people here want to give it more time or not, he'll get the time. I think he needs to stay healthy and to take more shots downfield to have a good chance of staying on. Hopefully we see that. I don't think they're going to spend over $30mm on a dink-and-dunk game manager, even one who may be a top five running QB. He's going to need to show he can do more than that as a passer to command that type of number.

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 09, 2022, 07:03:49 PMThe part in bold puzzled me.  I mean, this Chris Pflum article was posted 3 separate times here and Chris made it clear that "seeing an open receiver" is not really a thing

I will also add that two very smart former Giants (Simms and Banks) have both made it clear that they talk to the coaches about a passing play because, despite their knowledge and film study, they can't be sure of who is or isn't open without the construct of a play. 

So why make claims about "open" receivers?  I mean, even the video you posted a second time (I had posted it the first time) on the Nick Falato thread, Nick carefully qualified his claims.

"Seeing an open receiver is not really a thing"

I just spit my coffee out!...go ask Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers how many times they saw and hit an open receiver who wasn't the intended target. It happened ALL the time with Gronk