News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What to pay Geno Smith and how to deal with other QB Conundrums

Started by Ed Vette, November 11, 2022, 03:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

New York Giants, New York Jets
The Jets would be a fine landing spot for Daniel Jones.

The Jets are more talented than the Giants and better equipped to win in the short term with a mobile quasi-prospect who operates well within structure. The Giants should not be fooled by their 2022 success and need to stay the foundation-to-rafters rebuilding course.

The Jets could land Jones for something like Marcus Mariota's two-year, $18 million deal. Jones might make sense for the Giants at that price point, but it's hard to imagine either side being thrilled to make such a deal.

The Jets could then trade Zach Wilson to a team looking for a salvage operation while the Giants: a) figure out a way to jockey for 2023 draft position or b) punt at quarterback while building some real strengths elsewhere.

The Jets would also be a worthy landing spot for Jimmy Garoppolo in 2023—rumor has it that the Jets coaching staff is familiar with him! An effective game manager with a low salary wouldn't be a bad selection. Anything would be better than sticking with their current Blake Bortles-in-training.

The Giants' unexpected success and Wilson's flameout-in-progress will create a fascinating self-scouting dilemma for both New York teams in the weeks and months to come. Both franchises need to take different types of risks: the Giants must be prepared to take a step back at quarterback (and probably surrender some draft capital) in order to not trap themselves in 8-9 purgatory, while the Jets must take a chance that they can build a 49ers-Dolphins-Eagles style contender around their recent draft classes if they upgrade from "win despite" to "win with" at quarterback.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2022/what-pay-geno-smith-and-other-qb-conundrums
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Great post. The author is of the same mindset that I am in that Jones is In that Garoppolo, Geno, Trubisky, Tannehil (game manager)(placeholder) role if not a step below those guys in passing the ball. Him calling out Mariota is spot on, both have legs and if you look at their stats they're eerily similar. So what is that worth? In my opinion absolutely nothing because there's no way I'm paying money to a guy that I can get equal production from in the form of a late draft pick or cheap signing.

You're either winning super bowls or you aren't, you either have the guy or you don't. So if your not winning a super bowl and he isn't THE guy then why pay? Why not build the team so when you have the guy, then you're ready to go. Because the Mariota, Garappolo, Geno, and Jones' aren't those guys period.