News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

'Season starts now': Giants enter December in playoff hunt

Started by Ed Vette, November 28, 2022, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Giants.com Article
Michael Eisen
Giants.com Senior Writer/Editor

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The Giants returned to work today after their three-day, post-Thanksgiving break and for the first time since 2016, they will enter December with a winning record and a legitimate chance to make the playoffs.

Losses to Detroit and Dallas in their last two games left them with a 7-4 record. If the season ended today, the Giants would be seeded sixth in the NFC.

But there's a long way to go. The Giants have six games remaining, including five against teams currently owning winning records and three against the top teams in the conference – two vs. 10-1 Philadelphia and one against 9-2 Minnesota. The four-game gauntlet through the NFC East continues Sunday at home against the Washington Commanders, winners of three in a row and six of their last seven games and who sit a half-game behind the Giants at 7-5.

"It's definitely exciting," rookie outside linebacker Kayvon Thibodeaux said in a virtual news conference today. "Dabs (head coach Brian Daboll) talked to us today, and he kind of gave us that idea that the beginning of the season starts now. So, everything we've done has put us in position to go for it all. So, we can't get too far ahead of ourselves. But it is a big task at hand that we have."

Thibodeaux played on three teams at the University of Oregon that were a combined 26-9 and played in three bowl games, so he is aware that having tangible goals late in the season helps players fight through mental fatigue and physical discomfort.
"Definitely," he said. "Not even just the playoffs and that, but just the idea of having those mentors like (former Giants) Michael Strahan and Carl Banks in the building – even Jessie Armstead – just to give you those insights to, 'This is where the biggest guys step up.' So, it kind of gives you that extra thing to play for – extra motivation."

Offensive lineman Nick Gates, who played every snap at center vs. the Cowboys on Thursday, said the Giants can't look too far ahead.
"We've just got to be playing consistent football and everybody has to be on the same page," Gates said. "First off, we've got to start by going 1-0 against Washington and winning this game this week. That's where our focus is for the week, and we've just got to play good football. Definitely nice to play meaningful football in December. It's the first time that's happened in my career, so it's definitely nice, it makes it mean something to you."

Thibodeaux insists no magical formula or radical change is needed for the Giants to return to the success they enjoyed in their 7-2 start.
"(We have to) just continue harping on the game plan, get everybody healthy and play for 60 minutes," he said. "I feel like that's the only place we kind of took hits. That last game we weren't able to really finish it, play for all 60 minutes and hold up on the back end. So now that we have a new fresh week, we just got to make sure we stick to our fundamentals and play for 60 minutes.

"I don't think our swagger is gone. I don't think anything about who we are, and our character is gone. I just feel like it's going to take more confidence for a lot of guys who have to step up and take on these bigger roles."

The Giants will host the Commanders and Eagles the next two weeks, their final division home games. They will then hit the road for games in Washington and Minnesota. While the Giants are playing the Eagles in Week 14, Washington will have its bye, so the Commanders will face the Giants in consecutive games.

The Giants' final two games are at home vs. Indianapolis and at Philadelphia. Those games will be played in January, but Thibodeaux knows the significance of the next few weeks.

"December football is the most important football," he said. "So, now that we're here, we definitely have to crank up the intensity, crank up the sense of urgency. But again, it's not getting too ahead of ourselves. I think it's just everybody doing their job to a high level and playing for the guy next to him. I feel like we'll come out with the outcome that we want."
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin