News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you see Tommy DeVito doing for the Giants in 2024?

Started by DaveBrown74, November 19, 2023, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think DeVito will be doing for the Giants in 2024?

WheresDayne

I voted 3rd stringer but why can't he become the next Brock Purdy?  Like a previous poster said, we deserve it.  Who knows really?  :what:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Uni on November 20, 2023, 07:00:35 AMWe know nothing based on today. DeVito could reel off three more victories or he could come crashing down to earth when a real coach with a modicum of film whips up a real game plan. He's a nice story this week, but that's as far as it goes... for now

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I would respectfully disagree with the statement that we "know nothing" about DeVito at this point. We certainly don't have a big data sample, so I would fully agree that we know nothing genuinely conclusive, but we do now know for sure that he has it in him to play at a pretty respectable (if not high) level against an NFL team playing its starters and trying to win. On the road no less. Can he do this consistently? That part we don't know, and it's obviously important. But the fact is, he played better yesterday than Jones has played all season. And under brutal conditions in terms of his protection, an excuse that has been used for over four years now to try to exonerate Jones from his dreadful production numbers and ability to help his team win games.

So while I fully agree that we don't know a lot about DeVito, I wouldn't say we know zero either. The question was just to see what people thought based on the still small (but not meaningless) bit of information we do have on the player currently.

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on November 19, 2023, 10:10:42 PMWhy does nobody think Jones will be medically cleared for opening day? Isn't an ACL a 9 month recovery?

The recovery is 9 months to a year.  Remember Jones hasn't had the surgery yet.  He is still doing prehab.  He is strengthening the knee, getting the swelling down, and regaining range of motion.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

StompYouOT

Devito will show us what he can do the rest of this year. He can actually make the throws and while the line needs to be better, they were never the reason this offense was so useless.

I see Devito as a good backup, but he might play us out of a franchise QB in the draft. So I picked starter because we're probably going to end up picking a lineman on either side of the ball with out first pick

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 20, 2023, 07:30:53 AMThe recovery is 9 months to a year.  Remember Jones hasn't had the surgery yet.  He is still doing prehab.  He is strengthening the knee, getting the swelling down, and regaining range of motion.

If we use Kyler Murray as a similar comp then Jones should be practicing next August. I just think fans want him gone and are just saying he will be be not be ready.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

H-Town G-Fan

Rookie QB the starter in waiting, Jones the veteran placeholder, and Tommy with the Mommy as a 3rd QB.

Uni

Quote from: TDToomer on November 20, 2023, 09:11:25 AMIf we use Kyler Murray as a similar comp then Jones should be practicing next August. I just think fans want him gone and are just saying he will be be not be ready.
Murray wasn't activated until last week, if you want to use that comp. Which means Jones is likely on PUP for the first half of the season, definitely not on the active roster week one.

Torus34

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 20, 2023, 07:26:31 AMThey literally can't get rid of Jones until after next season. He's going to be collecting money from the Giants next year one way or the other. It could have been as a backup to a highly touted prospect learning how to become the franchise QB that Jones was promised to be (Albeit promised by a buffoon) but now it's likely to be year 6 of watching Jones prove he's not very good while the Giants win about 5 or 6 games and yet again are not in a position to draft his replacement.

This is QB hell and the Giants are right in the middle of it. They had a chance to maybe pull themselves out but Tommy and the boys dragged them right back into it yesterday. It was fun watching that kid have the time of his life and Lord knows he earned some feel good this season but he also set the franchise back about 5 more years.

Hi, Hall of Fame.

They can recoup at least part of the sunk cost of Jones and Rodgers by having them sell peanuts in the stands. ;-)

Go, Big Blue!

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EDjohnst1981

I'm not going to drink too much Kool-Aid just yet, we've had a spring/summer of that and we are landed in pickle.

I just hope he can develop into a decent back-up, so we can have a cheap option to mitigate some of the dead money we will eat Jones (eventually).

Quick Kick

The Giants are financially committed to Jones in 24. I would like to see them use their 2 top draft picks on O linemen and develop a line capable of run block and pass blocking.  This would help make Jones into a successful QB and give Barkley an opportunity to run off 100 yd games on a consistent basis.

Drafting a wonder QB with the same old line does nothing. Keep Tyrod and Devito around another year. 

T200

Quote from: Quick Kick on November 21, 2023, 10:54:58 AMThe Giants are financially committed to Jones in 24. I would like to see them use their 2 top draft picks on O linemen and develop a line capable of run block and pass blocking.  This would help make Jones into a successful QB and give Barkley an opportunity to run off 100 yd games on a consistent basis.

Drafting a wonder QB with the same old line does nothing. Keep Tyrod and Devito around another year.
I like Jones and Barkley. Their health and availability is a liability. Unfortunately, they cannot be counted on to suit up for 17+ games regardless of the line in front of them. Sadly, it's time to move on from them and invest resources in other players.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Gmo11

Quote from: Quick Kick on November 21, 2023, 10:54:58 AMThe Giants are financially committed to Jones in 24. I would like to see them use their 2 top draft picks on O linemen and develop a line capable of run block and pass blocking.  This would help make Jones into a successful QB and give Barkley an opportunity to run off 100 yd games on a consistent basis.

Why not take a QB in the 1st round and with the 2 second round picks use them on OL and Defense or just a pair of OL if the draft falls that way?  Tyrod is old and brittle and Devito is...well he is what he is.  Even if they start Devito every game next year and they suffer through another 2 or 3 win season, the QB class itself isn't nearly as good as this one.  They'd still be better off going QB this year and continue building up the rest of the team around him in my opinion.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 21, 2023, 11:47:54 AMWhy not take a QB in the 1st round and with the 2 second round picks use them on OL and Defense or just a pair of OL if the draft falls that way?  Tyrod is old and brittle and Devito is...well he is what he is.  Even if they start Devito every game next year and they suffer through another 2 or 3 win season, the QB class itself isn't nearly as good as this one.  They'd still be better off going QB this year and continue building up the rest of the team around him in my opinion.

I agree.

I'd rather they attempt to change the o-line coaching before throwing any more high picks at the position. It's had plenty.