News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you see Tommy DeVito doing for the Giants in 2024?

Started by DaveBrown74, November 19, 2023, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think DeVito will be doing for the Giants in 2024?

Uni

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 23, 2023, 11:15:23 AMHe might start on PUP.
He will start on PUP. Which means he doesn't count to the active roster until he is taken off of PUP, which will be well into the season.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 24, 2023, 04:19:55 PMFor a kid who's made only his second start, coming out light years behind the rest of the league, and to do what he did against any Pro Defense was impressive. I want to see how he works off that performance against a HOF Defensive mind. Looks like the game isn't too fast for him.

I wouldn't predict anything at this point. I liked a lot of what I saw and I saw areas where he can improve.

He's one of the pleasant surprises I can root for. As for the rest, your lips to God's Ears.

He's given us something to smile about and hope for the future.  All you can ask at this point

Turns out it was someone on the training staff who has ties to Victor Cruz who alerted the Giants to give Tommy a UDFA tryout.  Through this trainer, seven years ago Devito voulentered to help Cruz work out
at the field of William Paterson College in Wayne NJ. 

Cruz was quoted at the time of commenting Devito had an NFL arm and could make all the passes including the 25 yrd "rope" outside the numbers.  A pass Jones really struggles with. Cruz was stunned when the young DeVito delivered that pass 7 summers ago.  This kid did not come out of nowhere. That was the same pass Devito threw to Slayton last Sunday.

Devito was doing it 1 yr out of high school working with Cruz on his failed comeback

I think we really have something in DeVito and only Mara can foil it.  Schoen can find a taker for Jones.  Jones might flourish somewhere with  team that has a strong offensive line and running game (Raiders?).  We have a poor Oline and running game- but that does not seem to affect Tommy as much as it does Jones.

It would be best for the Giants, the fans and Jones himself that we part ways.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

katkavage

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 25, 2023, 06:38:03 AMHe's given us something to smile about and hope for the future.  All you can ask at this point

Turns out it was someone on the training staff who has ties to Victor Cruz who alerted the Giants to give Tommy a UDFA tryout.  Through this trainer, seven years ago Devito voulentered to help Cruz work out
at the field of William Paterson College in Wayne NJ. 

Cruz was quoted at the time of commenting Devito had an NFL arm and could make all the passes including the 25 yrd "rope" outside the numbers.  A pass Jones really struggles with. Cruz was stunned when the young DeVito delivered that pass 7 summers ago.  This kid did not come out of nowhere. That was the same pass Devito threw to Slayton last Sunday.

Devito was doing it 1 yr out of high school working with Cruz on his failed comeback

I think we really have something in DeVito and only Mara can foil it.  Schoen can find a taker for Jones.  Jones might flourish somewhere with  team that has a strong offensive line and running game (Raiders?).  We have a poor Oline and running game- but that does not seem to affect Tommy as much as it does Jones.

It would be best for the Giants, the fans and Jones himself that we part ways.
Let's not jump the gun here. He had a good game against one of the worst defensive backfields in recent memory. The sample size is miniscule to make any plausible judgement on his true abilities. If he turns out to be a Brock Purdy find, great, but we are nowhere close to knowing that now.

BluesCruz

Quote from: katkavage on November 25, 2023, 08:59:49 AMLet's not jump the gun here. He had a good game against one of the worst defensive backfields in recent memory. The sample size is miniscule to make any plausible judgement on his true abilities. If he turns out to be a Brock Purdy find, great, but we are nowhere close to knowing that now.

if Bill Belichick was trying to sign him to his PS last summer, what does that tell you?
Tommy told him thanks but no thanks- He wanted to be a Giant
True the whole thing could blow up or DeVito could be sent back to the bench for TT

Im hoping we finish the season with DeVito and then we should have a decent sample size

Lets see if Belichek is able to slow Tommy down on Sunday- it will be a good test

then there are the Packers, Saints, Rams, Eagles twice.....  no pushovers

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 25, 2023, 10:26:20 AMif Bill Belichick was trying to sign him to his PS last summer, what does that tell you?
True the whole thing could blow up or DeVito could be sent back to the bench for TT

Im hoping we finish the season with DeVito and then we should have a decent sample size

Lets see if Belichek is able to slow Tommy down on Sunday- it will be a good test

You're gonna like this breakdown by Chase Daniels.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 25, 2023, 10:26:20 AMif Bill Belichick was trying to sign him to his PS last summer, what does that tell you?

Not much, to be honest. Belichick has been awful in talent evaluation for some time now. Tons of terrible picks and signings on his part. This is a guy that paid up for Johnnu Smith in free agency and drafted guys like N'Keal Harry with first round picks.

Plus if Belichick really liked Devito, he would not have allowed him to undrafted. So even though I don't think a Belichick endorsement means that much at this point, it's not like he was that high on him. If he were, he might have used a measly seventh rounder on him.

coggs

Are you serious with this?  DeVito is terrible.

GeauxJints

Dgoodmantrublu

He's terrible. Not one long drive today. More sacks because he holds the ball and can't see the field and has no pocket presence. He's terrible. He only looks decent because Jones was such utter crap this year.

kingm56

The same Belichick who presides over the NFLs worst team?  The same Belichick who drafted M Jones in the 1st Round? The same Belichick who's presided over some of the NFL's worst drafts over 4-years, which put his team in their current position (i.e. limited/no talent)?  The same Belichek that's now 82-100 without Tom Brady? Considering BB recent track recording, I'd actually be worried that he liked Devito.

It's a very small sample size; IMO, DeVito is not going to be tangible NFL player....maybe an NFL backup, but that's it.

Gmo11

The Devito story is great. The play is not. If they wanted to keep him around as a backup because he's super cheap then fine but Plan A can't be to start him or Jones next season.

londonblue

Best case he continues to improve and establishes himself as a backup QB who can come in and win some games without the D needing a bunch of turnovers. Worst case he is QB3 kept on the roster because if we try to put him back on PS somebody will pick him up.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.