News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As of right now, we are picking 5th overall:

Started by DaveBrown74, December 10, 2023, 07:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

jgrangers2

Amazing that all four of our wins are against the three teams directly ahead of us. Simply not having that second half against Arizona might have had us at 2 right now.

Jolly Blue Giant

I don't see a credible scenario in which we move up except Washington going on a run that would put us in 4th, but not likely to get into the top 3. I'm hoping for Seattle to crash and burn the rest of the season so that our round 2 pick (that we got from them) moves up the pecking order

I wouldn't want to be Toney in the Chief's locker room tonight  =))
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 10, 2023, 08:10:21 PMI don't see a credible scenario in which we move up except Washington going on a run that would put us in 4th, but not likely to get into the top 3. I'm hoping for Seattle to crash and burn the rest of the season so that our round 2 pick (that we got from them) moves up the pecking order

I wouldn't want to be Toney in the Chief's locker room tonight  =))

5th is looking like a tough spot to be in. Could easily see the first four picks being Williams, Maye, Harrison Jr, and Daniels.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 10, 2023, 08:51:33 PM5th is looking like a tough spot to be in. Could easily see the first four picks being Williams, Maye, Harrison Jr, and Daniels.

It's certainly possible.  I do think if Williams/Maye/Harrison go 1-2-3 the Giants would have to seriously consider doing whatever they had to do in order to get to 4 for Daniels provided the team with the pick doesn't want him for themselves.  For now we just need to let the chips fall where they will and hope they end up in a spot where they can grab one of those 3 QBs.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 10, 2023, 09:04:15 PMIt's certainly possible.  I do think if Williams/Maye/Harrison go 1-2-3 the Giants would have to seriously consider doing whatever they had to do in order to get to 4 for Daniels provided the team with the pick doesn't want him for themselves.  For now we just need to let the chips fall where they will and hope they end up in a spot where they can grab one of those 3 QBs.

Agreed although I can easily see three of the four teams in front of us (if not all four) wanting QBs. Are the Commanders really going to swap spots with us so they can stick with Howell while a division rival gets Daniels? I just don't see it. If anything they'll move down further to someoene like the Titans.

The only shot I can maybe see if the Cards, but that would require them to be fine with passing up on Harrison Jr. Good luck with that.

Think it's going to be tough to move up if this is the order.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 10, 2023, 08:51:33 PM5th is looking like a tough spot to be in. Could easily see the first four picks being Williams, Maye, Harrison Jr, and Daniels.

Harrison Jr has said he is 50-50 to go to draft.  Losing to Michigan past few years is affecting his decision.  With his NIL money it's not he will be poor for one season.  I am not saying he stays but just passing along info.

DaveBrown74

Yup I have read that too, and I'm personally not buying it. He's unlikely to go higher than this next year, and he runs the risk of injury by staying. I just don't see it myself.

I'm not suggesting he's lying about how he feels, but I think he'll receive enough advice to go that he'll eventually do it if he hasn't decided to already.

Philosophers

So if you think the Giants need a QB and you think that Caleb Williams and Drake Maye go top 5, do you think you can get Jayden Daniels at pick 5 or would you need to trade up a slot or two?

TDToomer

Keep rooting Fields and the Bears. The better he looks the more likely the Bears pick up his 5th year option and do not draft a QB. either of their 1st round picks will be up for trade. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

BluesCruz

we should find out in the next 5 weeks if we need a QB

If it were me Id go for someone like that Hutchinson guy in Detroit
What a monster.  Id give them  1st and 3rd for that guy

I dont watch much QBing in College but is one of these QB prospects a sure thing like say John Elway?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on December 11, 2023, 08:40:17 AMSo if you think the Giants need a QB and you think that Caleb Williams and Drake Maye go top 5, do you think you can get Jayden Daniels at pick 5 or would you need to trade up a slot or two?

I certainly would not feel comfortable relying on Daniels to fall out of the top 4 at this point. The guy had a remarkable season. All reports are that he's a great kid, and he's likely to impress in the combines/pro days.

Looking at the teams who are presently picking before us (and obviously I understand it can all change), I think the Pats and Commanders are very likely to want QBs. The Commanders are going to have a whole new regime running the organization, and while Howell wasn't terrible I don't see how they pass up an opportunity to start fresh with a top prospect. The Pats are 100% taking a QB.

That leaves the Bears and Cards.

I know some think the Bears will keep Fields and trade down one of their picks and take Harrison, but I suspect they won't. I admit it's up in the air, but I have a feeling the new GM will fall in love with one of the top two and will opt to move Fields (he will command at least a 2) and take one of these other QBs.

The Cards may stick with Murray. He'll be close to impossible to move without them eating some of the contract, and I think they'll salivate at the opportunity to get Harrison. I'm not sure what I think they'll do if Harrison is gone though. Maybe trade down.

Short answer: If we're picking 5th and we want Daniels, I think it will require a trade-up most likely. And who knows if that will be possible. Plus there are other teams that will want him too, like the Titans for example. It's going to be tough. But obviously with four weeks still to go, we don't know where we're going to be. We might lose out, but the Commanders' remaining schedule is also brutal.

zephirus

Kinda hard to see the Giants winning a game for the rest of the season.  Not saying they won't but the Saints are the "easiest" team we have left to play.  The Commanders and Cardinals have games against the Jets and Bears respectively that will go a long way towards determining the top 10.  And while the Patriots are absolutely miserable, Bill Belichick always seems to get them to play against the Jets, against whom they have 1 more game. 

Hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not and the Giants don't win another game, it's not impossible to get to #2. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: zephirus on December 11, 2023, 09:12:40 AMKinda hard to see the Giants winning a game for the rest of the season.  Not saying they won't but the Saints are the "easiest" team we have left to play.  The Commanders and Cardinals have games against the Jets and Bears respectively that will go a long way towards determining the top 10.  And while the Patriots are absolutely miserable, Bill Belichick always seems to get them to play against the Jets, against whom they have 1 more game. 

Hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not and the Giants don't win another game, it's not impossible to get to #2. 

I hear you and I hope you're right. The Commanders' game against the Jets is in NY, unfortunately. Obviously they could still win that, but I could easily see them losing out. Do we have less of a chance of winning in NO than they do winning in Met Life against the Jets?

Let's see what happens tonight. This game is huge for the Packers. We will be facing them at their best, although Christian Watson is out and Aaron Jones might be. Those are pretty key players.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 11, 2023, 09:16:32 AMI hear you and I hope you're right. The Commanders' game against the Jets is in NY, unfortunately. Obviously they could still win that, but I could easily see them losing out. Do we have less of a chance of winning in NO than they do winning in Met Life against the Jets?

Let's see what happens tonight. This game is huge for the Packers. We will be facing them at their best, although Christian Watson is out and Aaron Jones might be. Those are pretty key players.

DB: One thing that changed (for the Giants) yesterday.  The Eagles likely will have to win both games against the Giants to win the division, or, if not to win the division, to qualify for best NFC record and the bye. So even though I never root against the Giants, if we do win, THEY will have no excuse if we beat them (like saying they were resting their players) and the win will be sweet if it knocks them out of contention for NFC-East first-place or the bye, or both. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!