News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do we want in the Draft?

Started by DragonSoul, January 08, 2024, 10:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSoul

1. If there is anyway to get a top 1-3 QB and there isn't much of a fall off between them, I'd be open. If there is a wide margin then I'd pass unfortunately.

2. We need RT, and a possible Guard. That would give us Andrew Thomas, (new guard or Evan), JMS, (new guard or Evan) and new RT.

3. Pass rusher & another CB.

4. WR

So 1 QB, 2 O-Lineman at least, 1 CB, 1PR and 1 WR. Then of course if we go for a move for a QB it will cost us picks, if we don't then we have several more picks we can use to bolster the team.

sooners56

I'm all in on a WR but I am also smart enough to know if the line can't block and the QB can't throw the ball, a WR is just a shiny hood ornament!!! Just can't see the Giants draftng a LT just to move them to RT.  No guards are worth the 6th pick so the Giants are kind of in WR territory only at pick 6. No defensive players appear to be worth the 6th pick either.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

DragonSoul

Quote from: sooners56 on January 08, 2024, 10:44:58 PMI'm all in on a WR but I am also smart enough to know if the line can't block and the QB can't throw the ball, a WR is just a shiny hood ornament!!! Just can't see the Giants draftng a LT just to move them to RT.  No guards are worth the 6th pick so the Giants are kind of in WR territory only at pick 6. No defensive players appear to be worth the 6th pick either.
I agree the WR spot is near bottom pickings unless an unreal talent. I prefer a QB, RT or pass rusher in the first 2-3 rounds. All depends what's on the board and need.

Jclayton92

Qb
Edge
Wr
Corner

RB
Oline
Safety

First 4 are the priority, as I think we need plug and play Olinemen in FA.

BluesCruz

If Penix jr lights it up tonight, he might be off the board by #6

I hope not.  He is a "cruise missile" to success

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

In the event that there is a trade-up opportunity to get a top 3 QB, AND our front office is very sold on that player after all their due diligence, I would be open to it. I know many disagree with that, and I understand and respect that point of view, but that is my opinion. I just think getting a true franchise QB is very difficult, and I feel like this is a robust year for that and we're not that far from the top of the draft. I realize the cost will feel exorbitant, but it won't if the pick hits. Obviously if the pick doesn't hit, it will really hurt, but I can't imagine things being much worse than they've been.

Assuming that's not an option or our front office isn't sufficiently in love with one of the top three to pay the requisite price, I think the focus should remain on improving the offense. So that will mean an OT, a WR, or Bowers. Within that group, I'd be fine with a BPA approach. I kind of quiver at the idea of drafting yet another O lineman in the top 7 of the draft (will be our third in four years), but Neal has been that big of a bust that I guess I can get on board with it.

drewsg

If a QB isn't there, then an EDGE should be the pick.. we really gotta get the pass rush going again.

sooners56

Quote from: drewsg on January 09, 2024, 03:45:43 PMIf a QB isn't there, then an EDGE should be the pick.. we really gotta get the pass rush going again.
Sounds good but what edge is worthy of the 6th overall pick?
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Jolly Blue Giant

All depends on what we do in free agency. That will change everything

IMHO, the best move we could make is to trade down and get more draft capital, but that's neither here nor there. We still need a no.1 WR, three GOOD offensive linemen, a replacement for Leo on the d-line, another ER, and players who double as great ST guys. But that's just me. I am not in the camp that we need to grab a QB unless it's later in the draft, and it's someone Schoen/Daboll wants to groom for down the road. I don't believe for a second they are wanting to start over in a QB lottery. They have more faith in DJ than some fans do...just my opinion, don't smack me down please

Since the biggest investment is the player taken in the first round, the best use of financial resources is QB, WR, and ER. Unfortunately, more QBs taken in the first round wash out or, at best, become backups down the road. It's a crap shoot and the odds suck
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 09, 2024, 07:16:27 PMAll depends on what we do in free agency. That will change everything

IMHO, the best move we could make is to trade down and get more draft capital, but that's neither here nor there. We still need a no.1 WR, three GOOD offensive linemen, a replacement for Leo on the d-line, another ER, and players who double as great ST guys. But that's just me. I am not in the camp that we need to grab a QB unless it's later in the draft, and it's someone Schoen/Daboll wants to groom for down the road. I don't believe for a second they are wanting to start over in a QB lottery. They have more faith in DJ than some fans do...just my opinion, don't smack me down please

I totally agree. Before we do our mock drafts and try and predict what we will do in rounds 1 and 2 , let's see what happens in Free agency .

Since the biggest investment is the player taken in the first round, the best use of financial resources is QB, WR, and ER. Unfortunately, more QBs taken in the first round wash out or, at best, become backups down the road. It's a crap shoot and the odds suck

coggs

I will never complain about taking OL or DL.  There are 2 stud OT's, I would love to get one.  Move Neal to guard.

gregf

Unfortunately,  QB is #1 priority.  I agree with Dave. I'll pay the price to get the right one. 
  It pains me we are still working on the O line.   I'd like a quality FA and top 3 rd pick as well.
     There are more needs, but those are a must in my view to not waste another season.   

londonblue

As normal the FA OT group is less than stellar. Good OT do not hit the market unless ancient/injured. We might pick up a G on a Glowinski style risk/reward deal and almost certainly we will draft at least one OL day 2 or 3.

Day 1 draft I think BPA at 6 or slight trade back will be WR or Bowers. I do not see us having the ammunition to easily trade up. So far Schoen has been controlled aggression with small trades rather than a swing for the fences guy but maybe he will feel circumstances demand a bigger risk.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

katkavage

The QB is the absolute need. If they really feel that they can't trade up, or don't like who they can get where they are, then I would trade the pick for more picks including another number one next year if possible. They will be bad again next year without better QB play unless Taylor stays, is the starter, and remains healthy, none of which will happen. It also might mean a start over at coach. So here we go again and again. And yes, I know Jones will be on the team, that is understood. I don't see how realistically he will be anything close to 100 percent by the first game and his 100 percent is mediocre at best anyway. Either way, he seems like a hard working, good kid and will help out whoever they draft of bring in.

RelaxTension

There is a real good chance the Giants will have the 4th choice of QBs if the Bears decide to take one. No way the chargers don't trade back to a team that wants a QB.
Early predictions are looking more and more like a WR but I would take a oline Tackle even if that means he plays on the right for the 1st time in his career.
They have to fix this oline and the two tackles on the roster are injury prone!
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..