News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Second DC interview

Started by MightyGiants, January 12, 2024, 03:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: madbadger on January 13, 2024, 10:54:46 AMIMHO they're overthinking this. Just promote Andre Patterson. He was a head coach in college, a co-dc in the NFL, he knows the scheme and the players. It is the least disruptive move and by all accounts the guys on defense love him.
He's been a Defensive Line Coach for something like 18 years. Why hasn't any team given him a shot at DC?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 13, 2024, 11:01:13 AMHe's been a Defensive Line Coach for something like 18 years. Why hasn't any team given him a shot at DC?

He was the Vikings defensive line coach and co defensive coordinator for several years.

Ed Vette

Quote from: madbadger on January 13, 2024, 11:23:49 AMHe was the Vikings defensive line coach and co defensive coordinator for several years.
Did he call the Defensive Plays?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 13, 2024, 11:29:56 AMDid he call the Defensive Plays?

No

If they give it to someone on the staff it will probably be Henderson but I still think they are waiting for Leslie Frazier. After the Wink debacle Daboll will ideally want a known and trusted colleague.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

madbadger

Quote from: londonblue on January 13, 2024, 11:50:18 AMNo

If they give it to someone on the staff it will probably be Henderson but I still think they are waiting for Leslie Frazier. After the Wink debacle Daboll will ideally want a known and trusted colleague.

Not saying you're wrong but the other co-defensive coordinator was Mike Zimmer's alcoholic son. Not that it really matters because every coordinator in league history was a first time coordinator calling plays for the first time. So what?

Ed Vette

Quote from: londonblue on January 13, 2024, 11:50:18 AMNo

Do you think the Chargers are bringing him in as their Roony interview?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Puffy

Vic Fangio is who I wanted instead of Martindale.  That ship sailed as he is in Miami now.  Now I want Frazier or Dennard Wilson.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 13, 2024, 10:36:38 AMPFF has a breakdown by player of man and zone coverage grades as I recall. I'm curious how Adoree, Banks and Hawkins break down.

I have family obligations today, but I will try to get to it tomorrow
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 13, 2024, 10:36:38 AMPFF has a breakdown by player of man and zone coverage grades as I recall. I'm curious how Adoree, Banks and Hawkins break down.

Interesting, most of the DBs had better zone grades than M2M.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 14, 2024, 07:18:07 AMInteresting, most of the DBs had better zone grades than M2M.

I suspected. Thanks Rich.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 13, 2024, 02:22:04 PMI have family obligations today, but I will try to get to it tomorrow
The breakdown was about 50-50. Can you isolate it by games? For instance the first half vs second half of the season? Or a couple of bad games vs good games for the Defense?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 14, 2024, 07:29:36 AMThe breakdown was about 50-50. Can you isolate it by games? For instance the first half vs second half of the season? Or a couple of bad games vs good games for the Defense?

These stats are by position rather than by player or by team.  So I don't believe they have a game-by-game breakdown option.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

I think you have to throw out the 1st half of last year as there was no complimentary football

Our offense was offensive and the D was on the field all game, Jamie was punting his leg off.  The modern NFL rules make such game practically indefensible, with the tired D on the field all day long

When Jones returns we will see a resumption of this disasterous phenomena

I see choppy waters ahead.   Another 6 win season and Schoen and Daboll may be walking the plank.  Mike Vrabel will be coaching elsewhere.  Perhaps the Commanders.

Given that senario, will Mara again turn to the Belichick tree?  Sorry for the pessimistic outlook but that's what I see likely happening.  The Giants are nothing if not stubborn.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 14, 2024, 07:49:00 AMI think you have to throw out the 1st half of last year as there was no complimentary football

Our offense was offensive and the D was on the field all game, Jamie was punting his leg off.  The modern NFL rules make such game practically indefensible, with the tired D on the field all day long

When Jones returns we will see a resumption of this disasterous phenomena

I see choppy waters ahead.   Another 6 win season and Schoen and Daboll may be walking the plank.  Mike Vrabel will be coaching elsewhere.  Perhaps the Commanders.

Given that senario, will Mara again turn to the Belichick tree?  Sorry for the pessimistic outlook but that's what I see likely happening.  The Giants are nothing if not stubborn.
Who said Jones is returning, there are a lot of assumptions in that statement.

Philosophers

Dabs seems to prefer coaches he knows from working together.  I hope he casts a wide net and remains open minded.