News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thibodeaux says Barkley should have been paid before Jones

Started by shadowspinner0, January 25, 2024, 04:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 08:47:37 AMI'm not saying any of the above is untrue. If one had LT type expectations for this guy then yes you should be disappointed, but you should be also asking yourself if those expectations were reasonable.

Thibodeaux had more sacks than Joey Bosey and 50 combined tackles versus Bosa's 53. Obviously I am not saying he is comparable to Bosa at this point. But the idea that he was some stiff out there who contributed nothing is not one that I agree with personally. I think he's a developing young player who just turned 23 and has a lot of room for improvement but has been on an upward trajectory of improvement since entering the league.

What stats are you comparing here? 

Here is Bosa's stats:

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 08:47:37 AMI'm not saying any of the above is untrue. If one had LT type expectations for this guy then yes you should be disappointed, but you should be also asking yourself if those expectations were reasonable.

Thibodeaux had more sacks than Joey Bosey and 50 combined tackles versus Bosa's 53. Obviously I am not saying he is comparable to Bosa at this point. But the idea that he was some stiff out there who contributed nothing is not one that I agree with personally. I think he's a developing young player who just turned 23 and has a lot of room for improvement but has been on an upward trajectory of improvement since entering the league.

The question I would then pose is if we had the chance would we trade Thibs straight up for Bosa?

uconnjack8

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 28, 2024, 08:56:11 AMWhat stats are you comparing here? 

Here is Bosa's stats:

Will add, Bosa's best year was hos 2nd year, so if KT follows that he will be a disappointment.

Trench

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 28, 2024, 09:13:37 AMWill add, Bosa's best year was hos 2nd year, so if KT follows that he will be a disappointment.

I watch Bosa consistently get pressure and be double teamed. Not Thibs. My hope is Wink used him totally wrong and maybe a new coordinator will teach him a strahan spin move, an LT bend move or a few stunt moves in which case we are having a different discussion but for now he is not elite by a long stretch. He gets neutralized by one tackle on a consistent basis and we expected better from the 5th pick

BluesCruz

At 4 YPC Barkley is an average back who struggles to move the chains

Most of his yards come from the occasional long runs in the 2nd half when the D is tired

He should be granted his release and free agency.  If he goes to the Eagles or Cowboys all the better for us
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

uconnjack8

Quote from: Trench on January 28, 2024, 09:20:07 AMI watch Bosa consistently get pressure and be double teamed. Not Thibs. My hope is Wink used him totally wrong and maybe a new coordinator will teach him a strahan spin move, an LT bend move or a few stunt moves in which case we are having a different discussion but for now he is not elite by a long stretch. He gets neutralized by one tackle on a consistent basis and we expected better from the 5th pick

I don't know the percent, but Wink had KT dropping in coverage to some extent.  That wasn't my favorite tactic.  I get the idea of mixing things up, but you also have to play to your players strengths.

Lastly, his 11.5 sacks are decent raw number but when you consider he had 6.5 of those sacks against Washington and the Jets, it paints a different picture.  If I said in 14 games he had 5.5 sacks would anyone be impressed?

One thing that has to be considered the other way, is how much the team was playing from behind, which never helps pass rushers.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 28, 2024, 08:56:11 AMWhat stats are you comparing here? 

Here is Bosa's stats:

I think he meant Nick Bosa.

This is a good discussion. I understand the criticisms of Thibs. I'm hoping he can develop into a more consistent player. He has talent but the holes in his game that people have pointed out are legitimate concerns. You always worry that a guy like this will do well against weaker competition and then disappear against the better offenses.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 28, 2024, 09:22:41 AMAt 4 YPC Barkley is an average back who struggles to move the chains

Most of his yards come from the occasional long runs in the 2nd half when the D is tired

He should be granted his release and free agency.  If he goes to the Eagles or Cowboys all the better for us

Please tell me which planet you live on where the Giants offense has been tiring out opposing defenses in the 2nd half.  I'll pack my bags right now and join ya.

DaveBrown74

Here is Bosa's stats:

Sorry I meant Nick Bosa.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on January 28, 2024, 09:07:00 AMThe question I would then pose is if we had the chance would we trade Thibs straight up for Bosa?

Of course, if we're talking about Nick Bosa. I stated very clearly that Thibodeaux was not comparable to him. My point was more that I would argue Thibodeaux is trending in a positive direction, unlike many others on our team both now and in the recent past.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 08:00:55 AMI know I'm in the minority but for a second year player who only turned 23 a month ago, I don't think Thibodeaux had that bad of a year personally.

Obviously there is considerable room for improvement and I'm not saying otherwise, but when I compare to what he was as a rookie, I see progress. I also saw progress during his rookie season, as he was much better late in the year than the beginning.

If he continues on his trajectory I think he'll be a household name among edge guys next year.

But you expect more from a guy drafted where he was.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

BluesCruz

Quote from: PSUBeirut on January 28, 2024, 11:14:52 AMPlease tell me which planet you live on where the Giants offense has been tiring out opposing defenses in the 2nd half.  I'll pack my bags right now and join ya.

All defenses are more tired in the 2nd half  they are human
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 08:00:55 AMI know I'm in the minority but for a second year player who only turned 23 a month ago, I don't think Thibodeaux had that bad of a year personally.

Obviously there is considerable room for improvement and I'm not saying otherwise, but when I compare to what he was as a rookie, I see progress. I also saw progress during his rookie season, as he was much better late in the year than the beginning.

If he continues on his trajectory I think he'll be a household name among edge guys next year.

He had a good season.  And is getting better the more reps he gets.  The only reason he gets a bad rap is that he has the audacity to speak his mind from time to time.  The horror!!

uconnjack8

Quote from: Gmo11 on January 29, 2024, 11:19:49 AMHe had a good season.  And is getting better the more reps he gets.  The only reason he gets a bad rap is that he has the audacity to speak his mind from time to time.  The horror!!

This will easily be forgotten if he has 15 sacks next year.  If he has a pedestrian season, this will be brought up as a reason to get rid of him.