News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Justin Fields to the steelers

Started by brownelvis54, March 16, 2024, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on March 17, 2024, 09:57:54 AMBut who will that QB be?. The agentless, arrogant, cry baby Williams?  :doh:

Yes

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 09:59:18 AMThis Bears GM seems really bad to me. I mean I'm not a big Fields guy, but that's an absolutely horrible return for a guy who is still on a rookie contract. What was the rush? If the market wasn't really there for him right now, why not wait? QBs get hurt in training camp and the preseason virtually every year. The market on Fields could look totally different 4-5 months from now.

Also this isn't the first dumb thing this guy has done. The price he paid in the Claypool trade was mind-numbing.

Jeff,

I saw on Twitter this morning that the Bears said they spent weeks talking to teams about trading Fields.

I have to think if they took that long, this was the best deal they could get.

I guess the only question I have of their GM is if that's all they could get why not hold on to him?   Either he's a solid backup or another team suffers a QB injury later on and comes knocking at their door.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2024, 10:30:05 AMJeff,

I saw on Twitter this morning that the Bears said they spent weeks talking to teams about trading Fields.

I have to think if they took that long, this was the best deal they could get.

I guess the only question I have of their GM is if that's all they could get why not hold on to him?   Either he's a solid backup or another team suffers a QB injury later on and comes knocking at their door.

That is indeed the question, and it is what I articulated in my previous post.

I have no problem believing that they could not find a better deal for him today. What I find completely bizarre (and frankly foolish) is why they felt the pressing need to move him now, or even a month or two from now? Why not wait? The market price on him is much more likely to strengthen significantly from here than weaken. Starting QBs get either seriously hurt or at least dinged up during the summer pretty much annually. Out of the 31 other teams, the likelihood of at least one of them being in a much more panicked state about QB health come July/September than March/April is huge.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 10:46:48 AMThat is indeed the question, and it is what I articulated in my previous post.

I have no problem believing that they could not find a better deal for him today. What I find completely bizarre (and frankly foolish) is why they felt the pressing need to move him now, or even a month or two from now? Why not wait? The market price on him is much more likely to strengthen significantly from here than weaken. Starting QBs get either seriously hurt or at least dinged up during the summer pretty much annually. Out of the 31 other teams, the likelihood of at least one of them being in a much more panicked state about QB health come July/September than March/April is huge.

The only reason you moved him now is the same reason the Steelers moved Pickett. The player made it clear they were going to fight for their starting job and wouldn't play the good little soldier and quietly be the backup.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2024, 10:49:06 AMThe only reason you moved him now is the same reason the Steelers moved Pickett. The player made it clear they were going to fight for their starting job and wouldn't play the good little soldier and quietly be the backup.

I get how having a disgruntled, bitter player around during the season could be somewhat problematic, but most of these players aren't even in the same state right now, let alone on the field or in a locker room together. Who cares if the guy is sulking in March/April? As a GM, that should have zero impact on your desire to get the best possible price in the end to best help your franchise.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 11:01:35 AMI get how having a disgruntled, bitter player around during the season could be somewhat problematic, but most of these players aren't even in the same state right now, let alone on the field or in a locker room together. Who cares if the guy is sulking in March/April? As a GM, that should have zero impact on your desire to get the best possible price in the end to best help your franchise.

I think you have to consider locker room chemistry as well.  If (and we don't know this to be the case) Fields is disgruntled over the Bears drafting Caleb Williams, he could cause problems.  First, there could be players who are friends and/or supportive of Fields being the starting QB. Second, what happens when Williams (as all rookies do) struggles?   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I think they could have at least waited until the draft.   Likely some team who wants a QB will not get one and maybe a 4th or 5th rounder for next year would have been on the table

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 10:46:48 AMThat is indeed the question, and it is what I articulated in my previous post.

I heard that a ton of the locker room and FO love Fields, and if there was off the field stuff with Williams, diva like stuff, or bad play that a huge chunk of the fan base and FO would start calling for fields to start. So they had to move him before they drafted Williams.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2024, 09:03:32 AMJJ isn't my #1 or even #2 Qb so I'm not sure where that comes from. JJ Mccarthy won a national championship last year while Maye was losing to cupcake schools like Virginia, Georgia tech, and NC State.

Gee wiz, I wonder why that was??? I am sure it was JJ throwing those 15 passes a game! What a guy
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Jclayton92

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 17, 2024, 03:14:43 PMGee wiz, I wonder why that was??? I am sure it was JJ throwing those 15 passes a game! What a guy
You do realize that passing attempts have no bearing on whether a Qb is good or not, correct?

CJ Stroud had 389 passes his last year in college in 2022 then proceeded to have one of the best rookie seasons ever in the NFL.

JJ had 332 passes this past year in 2023 and has a national championship.

Passing attempts mean nothing

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2024, 05:03:58 PMYou do realize that passing attempts have no bearing on whether a Qb is good or not, correct?

CJ Stroud had 389 passes his last year in college in 2022 then proceeded to have one of the best rookie seasons ever in the NFL.

JJ had 332 passes this past year in 2023 and has a national championship.

Passing attempts mean nothing
CJ has physical attributes that are echelons ahead of JJ.
Stop it.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Jclayton92

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 17, 2024, 08:36:01 PMCJ has physical attributes that are echelons ahead of JJ.
Stop it.
Lol your the one that brought up pass attempts as a dig at Mccarthy and I prove you wrong. Now it's physical attributes, what attributes are those? Because JJ and Stroud are virtually the same height and weight coming out of college. They both ran a 4.48, plus their arm and hand lengths are nearly identical.

Stroud
Arm 32 5/8
Hand 10

Mccarthy
Arm 32
Hand 9

So not really sure what huge physical attribute Stroud poses that Mccarthy doesn't.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 18, 2024, 11:59:43 AMLol your the one that brought up pass attempts as a dig at Mccarthy and I prove you wrong. Now it's physical attributes, what attributes are those? Because JJ and Stroud are virtually the same height and weight coming out of college. They both ran a 4.48, plus their arm and hand lengths are nearly identical.

Stroud
Arm 32 5/8
Hand 10

Mccarthy
Arm 32
Hand 9

So not really sure what huge physical attribute Stroud poses that Mccarthy doesn't.

In addition to the stats posted above, the record for throwing velocity at the Combine is 62 mph.  I forgot who had the record but Joe Milton tied.  JJ threw it 61 mph or only 1 mph less.  Rest of the QB were like 10 mph slower.  One of the strongest arms, not average as some have said.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 18, 2024, 12:31:03 PMIn addition to the stats posted above, the record for throwing velocity at the Combine is 62 mph.  I forgot who had the record but Joe Milton tied.  JJ threw it 61 mph or only 1 mph less.  Rest of the QB were like 10 mph slower.  One of the strongest arms, not average as some have said.

Stroud threw 59 mph
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE