News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Exercising that blob atop my shoulders (Wordle)

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 18, 2022, 04:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on February 09, 2022, 09:11:46 PM
Good or bad, I start with the same 3 words, HOIST, READY, and PLUCK. So I have all the vowels with a Y and several of the main letters. With this plan, I rarely get the word before the 4th try. So then I see what I have either permanent or movable and try a few combinations to see where the movable letters might go and what I might mix with whatever letters I have left. As of now, it has worked well for me as I have only missed one word and that includes several of the 'other' games from the link you gave each day I do play.

I also play Candy Crush every single day, maybe for years now. I am at level 3000 and something and the game is much harder. Don't know if anyone has played but it is more than just a silly kids game as there is a very certain strategy to it once you get into the higher levels. They still want you to buy things to help you beat levels but in all the years I have played, I have never spent a penny on this game, but I do enjoy it very much.

I always start with ADIEU every morning. I like having four out of the five vowels (not counting Y) revealed after the first round. Even if I get all greys after that first guess I feel like that gives me a lot of info. I'm not sure that there is any "best" starting word, but I think the more vowels you cover off on early the better generally. You just have more of a feel for the structure of the word when you have a good idea of the vowel makeup by the second guess.

Jolly Blue Giant

Anyone have trouble with today's Wordle? I got it, but it took my 4th try and I thought it was too out there to be right
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 14, 2022, 05:10:36 PM
Anyone have trouble with today's Wordle? I got it, but it took my 4th try and I thought it was too out there to be right

Funny you say that. I found this to be one of the trickiest ones yet, and I have one close to 30 days worth now. Like you, I got it on my fourth try, however I was stuck after the third try for quite a while. The combo of letters I was working with felt like such a dead end. I finally got it, but that was definitely harder than normal I thought.

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 14, 2022, 05:10:36 PM
I needed all 6 tries lol

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 14, 2022, 06:39:36 PM
Funny you say that. I found this to be one of the trickiest ones yet, and I have one close to 30 days worth now. Like you, I got it on my fourth try, however I was stuck after the third try for quite a while. The combo of letters I was working with felt like such a dead end. I finally got it, but that was definitely harder than normal I thought.

I had only one "i" and all the other vowels were used up. Finally tried a word with a "y", but it wasn't the end of a word so that confused me, but that helped to know it was part of the word. I had pretty much exhausted all my consonants. So I sat for several minutes scratching my bald head totally lost. I had a "c" left, but no other consonant that would go with a "c" that made sense. Finally came to the conclusion that the consonant had to be used twice and the light went off. One of the toughest ones yet...although, "ultra" was no walk in the park. Just not that many words that start with a vowel and end with an "a". Anyway, I like challenges and that one gave it to me.

I failed to get one on the other site earlier today. After three tries, I had "_ound" all in the green so I went with "round", then "sound", then "mound" and ran out of tries. It was "wound". I guess the law of averages says you have to miss at some point  ~X(

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 14, 2022, 08:43:02 PM
I had only one "i" and all the other vowels were used up. Finally tried a word with a "y", but it wasn't the end of a word so that confused me, but that helped to know it was part of the word. I had pretty much exhausted all my consonants. So I sat for several minutes scratching my bald head totally lost. I had a "c" left, but no other consonant that would go with a "c" that made sense. Finally came to the conclusion that the consonant had to be used twice and the light went off. One of the toughest ones yet...although, "ultra" was no walk in the park. Just not that many words that start with a vowel and end with an "a". Anyway, I like challenges and that one gave it to me.

I failed to get one on the other site earlier today. After three tries, I had "_ound" all in the green so I went with "round", then "sound", then "mound" and ran out of tries. It was "wound". I guess the law of averages says you have to miss at some point  ~X(

It's really funny. I had almost the identical experience (including a similar process of elimination) that you did to arrive at the word today. Once I managed to get to the point where I said "ok the second letter definitely can't be anything but a Y" I was able to get there, but I definitely struggled today with this one today.

Jolly Blue Giant

Today's was weird. I didn't get it. Never heard of the word in my life and when I looked it up it was a Greek word. I closed the tab. Brought it back up to show my girlfriend and it was gone. I went through the routine and started with the Greek word and it said it wasn't a word. So I started all over again and had the same start with the same letters in yellow and I got it in two more tries. Must be the company decided the word of the day was not valid so it started a new one. I'm confused!  :-?? :-?? :-??

MightyGiants

clearly, Wordle has caught on to the tactics of 2 or 3 words to find all the vowels and most common letters and are adjusting their word of the day to reduce the effectiveness of that strategy.   The last 2 days have ben pretty challenging. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 15, 2022, 11:48:02 AM
clearly, Wordle has caught on to the tactics of 2 or 3 words to find all the vowels and most common letters and are adjusting their word of the day to reduce the effectiveness of that strategy.   The last 2 days have ben pretty challenging.

I think they are mixing it up at the New York Times since it got hacked last week and some computer/math geek figured out the algorithm to predict each new word before it is posted.

Here's a quip from the news:

"A Twitter user is believed to have posted the popular word puzzle

Bill Brown

Spoiler Alert!!

Strange. When I first did the word today it was on a UK site and the word was AGORA. My daughter did the word and got a different one. I noticed the web address on her phone was the ny times. I Googled wordle and it sent  me to the NY times. I did their word and it was ARO
MA. When I went back to the uk site it changed to the times.

I agree with Rich. Now that the times owns it the words will be more difficult

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

I got today's word with just a wild guess on the 4th line. I was just looking to place letters and viola, it was correct.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Wordle 241 3/6

🟩🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Stumbled on this on Twitter today. Good thread.

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1494302449586290691

There is some discussion in the comments section about the advantages of trying to go for a consonant-heavy word with the first word rather than a vowel-heavy word.

I start every morning with ADIEU and have had good results. The logic for starting with a consonant-heavy word like "STERN" though is that there are obviously many more consonants than vowels in the alphabet, so chipping away at the larger population early offers more of an advantage than finding out which vowels are in it but then still having tons of consonants to have to work with and try to eliminate.

I may give the consonant approach a try just for fun, but I'm guessing the truth is that the vowel-based approach is better as it gives you a much clearer sense of the structure and sound of the word.

T200

Anybody get today's word? I'm stuck like Chuck...  ~X(
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: