News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2023 Day 5 Camp Report

Started by MightyGiants, July 31, 2023, 01:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Not too much to report today.  The offense still seems ahead of the defense (which is very unusual since defenses almost always start camp with the lead)

Waller and Adoree Jackson were given veteran rest days

Haytt was taking a lot of reps with the ones (and the 2s and 3s).  Haytt really has been impressing and has already exceeded my expectations.  He has shown his speed, great hands, and about to adjust to the throw.

Devito has been looking a bit better.  Not a world beater, but he was better than the terrible he started camp

20 A. Oruwariye-  He may have been a starter last year, but he is third string with NYG.  I have to think he is on the bubble along with R. Williams.

Trey Hawkins was taking snaps with the ones filling in for a resting Adoree Jackson.

At this point in camp I think Slayton is the clear number one WR.  Haytt is pushing though and Campbell has made some noise

Banks had a nice pass break up today

Micah McFadden had a nice INT of a Taylor overthrow.  At first, I thought Beavers had the job, but I think it's going to be a battle

One thing that really has struck me is the flexibility of JMS.  Sometimes those muscled-up O-linemen can be stiff, not JMS.

It's impressive how fast Waller and Beasley pluck the ball out of the air and put it away.

I don't think Tyrod Taylor has had a great camp.  I don't think there is cause for panic, but I could see this being his last year with the team.

I loved the one play where the Giants went speed (Haytt, Campbell, and Slayton) at the WR.  Then with Haytt and Slayton stretching the field, the throw is to Campbell on a sweep with plenty of room to run.

While the offense wasn't as good without Waller, I thought the offense still looked better than last year.

I can see RB Gray as the return man, but I am not sure if he will make noise at RB.  Seems to be a lot of guys ahead of him
HERE ARE SOME VIDEOS

https://twitter.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1686063361023229963

https://twitter.com/Giants/status/1686050336656789504

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1686047722028023808
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I really want Hyatt to win a starting WR spot on the team.  He is demonstrating a huge commitment to learning the playbook, is developing quickly, and is running routes at top speed and demonstrating excellent concentration and hands. 

Dgoodmantrublu

I think he will start at some point this season. Just not right way. I see a Nicks arc. Remember how in 2009 he really came on as the season progressed. I think it may be similar with Hyatt.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 31, 2023, 02:37:17 PMI really want Hyatt to win a starting WR spot on the team.  He is demonstrating a huge commitment to learning the playbook, is developing quickly, and is running routes at top speed and demonstrating excellent concentration and hands. 

Joe, I think you hit on a big point.   The Giants offense challenges WRs mentally.  For Hyatt to do what he is doing shows smarts and commitment to learning the play book.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Jalin Hyatt has been progressing each day as they give him more playing time and today he did a lot of work with the first team. He does it quietly and with no attention grabbing "LOOK AT ME". As well as he did on the two catches on 11 on 11's, he was open by a full step in the end zone where, Tommy DeVito didn't either see it developing or was scared to take the shot. The top Receivers on this team now are Waller (he's no TE, he's a big Receiver), Slayton, Shepard and then Campbell and Hyatt are very close.

Nick McCloud had a nice pick 6. He was doing nicely last season and he did well in camp today.

There was a lot more emphasis on Special teams today. They had about ten players getting an opportunity to field kickoff and punts. Rich @MightyGiants pointed out that new rules allow a Returner to call a fair catch and get the ball on the 25 yard line.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/nfl-owners-new-fair-catch-rule-on-kickoffs-for-2023-season/4362676/#:~:text=Instead%20of%20kicking%20the%20ball%20off%20a%20tee,generally%20don%27t%20travel%20as%20far%20down%20the%20field.

Also, a lot more emphasis on the run game, going into tomorrow where they put the pads on for the first time. They keyed in on ball control on handoffs, RPOs, Read Options and Play Action in the walkthrough sessions as well as the 7 on 7s.

We are seeing a lot of different Personnel Packages with lone Set-Backs or empty backfields (with the RB as a wideout), in 11, 01, 12, and 13 Personnel with Waller as a wideout. Several double-stacked WRs sets. Bellinger shows he's the true Blocking TE and the total package. The third TE will likely be Cager but he gives little confidence in the Run Game, as Bobby Skinner pointed out to me today on a weak Cager Block.

Tomorrow with Players in Pads, it will be a good day to evaluate the RBs' Olines and Dlines and the Edges and Off Ball Inside Linebackers. I'll be bringing the binoculars to get a closer look at hand placement and punch on the Inside Guys and the footwork and Hands of the Tackles.       
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 31, 2023, 04:07:01 PMJoe, I think you hit on a big point.   The Giants offense challenges WRs mentally.  For Hyatt to do what he is doing shows smarts and commitment to learning the play book.

He's played outside mostly where they run Option Routes. He's been the X or the Z Receiver.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

I firmly believe right now the spot next to Bobby, and the spot next to Mckinney will be by platoon.

Beavers/McFadden

Pinnock/McCloud then Owens later

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 31, 2023, 04:37:41 PMI firmly believe right now the spot next to Bobby, and the spot next to Mckinney will be by platoon.

Beavers/McFadden

Pinnock/McCloud then Owens later

I wouldn't argue that. The biggest camp surprise has been Tre Hawkins. It's going to be a tough call keeping this kid off the field. The likely Starters I see are Adoree, Flott, and Banks. It may be an embarrassment but Hawkins deserves to compete with Banks. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 31, 2023, 04:47:44 PMI wouldn't argue that. The biggest camp surprise has been Tre Hawkins. It's going to be a tough call keeping this kid off the field. The likely Starters I see are Adoree, Flott, and Banks. It may be an embarrassment but Hawkins deserves to compete with Banks. 
I agree, I'm completely fine rotating Hawkins and Banks. Get them both time so our starting corners are set for 2024 season.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on July 31, 2023, 02:37:17 PMI really want Hyatt to win a starting WR spot on the team.  He is demonstrating a huge commitment to learning the playbook, is developing quickly, and is running routes at top speed and demonstrating excellent concentration and hands. 

Not bad for a one trick pont.  ;)
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 31, 2023, 01:32:31 PMI can see RB Gray as the return man, but I am not sure if he will make noise at RB.  Seems to be a lot of guys ahead of him

It will be interesting to see if that changes once the pads come on and the running game work gets more serious.  Have you had a chance to see how his pass blocking has been?

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 31, 2023, 04:29:03 PMHe's played outside mostly where they run Option Routes. He's been the X or the Z Receiver.

How's he doing with his release off the line, because that was one of the concerns about him?

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 31, 2023, 08:16:49 PMHow's he doing with his release off the line, because that was one of the concerns about him?
It hasn't been an issue yet. They respect his speed. The first day the coverage was tight because he was running just came backs and curls. He's had as much as a ten yard cushion. Although I haven't seen press coverage yet. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jaime

Good point Ed. Rook WR's have to learn how to handle Press. Some may not be able to, therein lies the rub.
Can't recall a WR getting a 10 yard cushion in the NFL :-??