News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The BBH/Big Hitter's Corner Draft Podcast w/UKGiantsfans: Draft Part 2 Defense

Started by bighitterdalama, April 24, 2022, 08:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

Ceri returns to discuss the defensive prospects.

Edge: Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan), Travon Walker (Georgia), Kayvon Thibodeaux (Oregon), Jermaine Johnson II (Florida State), Boye Mafe (Minnesota), George Karlaftis (Purdue), Arnold Ebikettie (Penn State), Nick Bonitto (Oklahoma), Seangelo Malone (W Kentucky), Dominic Robinson (Miami Ohio), Myjai Sanders (Cincinnati), Kingsley Enagbare (S Carolina), Drake Jackson (USC), Josh Paschal (Kentucky), Cam Thomas (San Diego State)

Corner: Sauce Gardner (Cincinnati), Derek Stingley (LSU), Trent McDuffy (Washington), Tyler Gordon (Washington) Andrew Booth (Clemson) Kaiir Elam (Florida), Roger McCreary (Auburn), Cam Taylor Britt (Nebraska), Joshua Williams (Fayetteville State), Alontae Taylor (Tennessee)

Safety: Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame), Saxton Hill (Michigan), Jalen Pitre (Baylor), Lewis Cine (Georgia), Marquis Bell (Florida A & M), Smoke Monday (Arkansas), Bryan Cook (Cincinnati), Nick Cross (Maryland)

Defensive Line: Logan Hall (Houston) Jordan Davis (Georgia), Devonte Wyatt (Georgia), Phidarian Mattis (Alabama), Neil Farrell (LSU), Zack Carter (Florida), Matthew Butler (Tennessee), Eyioma Uwazurike (Iowa State), John Ridgeway (Arkansas), Travis Jones (UConn), Perrion Winfrey (Oklahoma), Demarvin Leal (Texas A & M)

Inside Linebacker: Devin Lloyd (Utah), Nakobe Dean (Georgia), Quay Walker (Georgia), Leo Chanel (Wisconsin), Chad Muma (Wyoming), Channing Tindall (Georgia), Brian Asamoah (Oklahoma), Christian Harris (Alabama), Troy Anderson (Montana State), Damone Clark (LSU), Brandon Smith (Penn State), Darian Beavers (Cincinnati), Joe Joe Dolman (Nebraska), Sterling Weatherford (Miami Ohio)

Run time is 43:31, broken into three blocks, A Block: Edge, B Block: Corners/Safeties, C Block: Dline/Inside Linebacker/Draft Prognosis

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-826565332/ceri-2022-nfl-draft-2-defense-mixdown-1

Blue Fire

Awesome cant wait to listen to this! Of particular interest is your view on Stingley as so many have such mixed views on the risk factor with him and there are strong rumors that Houston is leaning DB and its going to be either Stingley or Gardner.

Listening now to the Edge:

In about perfect agreement with your assessment of the top 4.

1. Hutch going 1 or 2
2.Walker unicorn who Martindale could have a field day with. Probably also goes top 4. I would go as far as to say if he makes our pick he would have the highest grade of guys available at 5. Would we still go OT or go Walker and then OT at 7 ....
3. Thibs character question marks and not great tape vs better OTs
4. Jermaine Johnson - good fit for us/ a lot of good qualities

Corners:

Just heard the Stingley and Gardener stuff. Thanks for filling in the personality traits on Stingley. He seems like an Alpha thats all football. Best tape maybe ever for a freshman season CB. Talent could even rival Gardener. Im all aboard if the meds check out here. Gardener is no doubt a strong pick too and then there is quite a drop. Which makes us going CB at 5/7 a super high priority if Wink really wants an alpha M2M to allow him to do what he likes to do upfront.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bighitterdalama

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 24, 2022, 10:07:38 AM
Outstanding work as always  :ok:

Thanks Rich. I just noticed that they headings on these posts do not indicate Part 1: Offense, Part 2 Defense. If I change that heading (not the IP link, just BBH heading) that won't affect the internet distribution at all, will it, Rich?

MightyGiants

Quote from: bighitterdalama on April 24, 2022, 10:41:13 AM
Thanks Rich. I just noticed that they headings on these posts do not indicate Part 1: Offense, Part 2 Defense. If I change that heading (not the IP link, just BBH heading) that won't affect the internet distribution at all, will it, Rich?

At this point they have posted to Twitter, so no.   Did you post both of these to our Facebook page?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bighitterdalama

Sure did, Rich. I first post a thread on the podcast here on the BBH, then I post a link to the BBH thread to Facebook.

Painter

No one does it better than Ceri. You two guys are the best, Brian. From early on one thing which resonated with me is the emphasis Ceri gave to a player being a 4-3 DE. That position is pretty much synonymous with terms like Edge, or Edge Rusher whereas there are others being so labeled who are on-and-off, up-and-down, in-and-out Dlinemen or even LBs.

While they are seen essentially as pass rushers, some are more multiple than others much as we would best describe the Martindale Front. Because there could be a decision to be made in those first two picks between what I would prefer to call a Pass Rusher and a CB, I can't help but dwell on Wink's clearly stated preference in that regard:

My philosophy is, personally, I

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bighitterdalama

Quote from: Painter on April 24, 2022, 11:48:24 AM
No one does it better than Ceri. You two guys are the best, Brian. From early on one thing which resonated with me is the emphasis Ceri gave to a player being a 4-3 DE. That position is pretty much synonymous with terms like Edge, or Edge Rusher whereas there are others being so labeled who are on-and-off, up-and-down, in-and-out Dlinemen or even LBs.

While they are seen essentially as pass rushers, some are more multiple than others much as we would best describe the Martindale Front. Because there could be a decision to be made in those first two picks between what I would prefer to call a Pass Rusher and a CB, I can't help but dwell on Wink's clearly stated preference in that regard:

My philosophy is, personally, I

Ed Vette

Quote from: bighitterdalama on April 26, 2022, 09:09:35 AM
Larry, I think the possibility of taking a corner in round 1 depends largely on two factors:

1) Will either Gardner or Stingley be available at #7? If not, then no; the value board rating for corners then drops 15-20 slots. Too rich for the Giants, even given a trade down.

2) What is Wink Martindale's opinion via-a-vis the secondary talent already on the Giants' roster? Keep in mind he just had his first close up look at the defensive players in the recent OTAs. It is quite possible that he was pleasantly surprised in what he saw. Does he now see Aaron Robinson, a strong and talented young player, as a potential M-2-M press corner? What about Darnay Holmes? Is he capable of a starting role on the outside? Or last year's 6th rounder Rodarius Willaims, who did flash some ability prior to a season ending injury? Let us not forget James Bradbury, whom the Giants have yet to move off the roster. 

All this we do not know. What we do know is that the Giants presently have considerably more talent in the secondary than at edge rusher. And, if both Gardner and are gone by #7, then a top flight edge rusher will very likely be available at that selection. As for either an edge or a corner at #5: ain't happening. The Giants' BY FAR biggest roster need is at tackle, and I am certain that they will address that at #5. On that I believe we both agree.
The Big Hitter thinking outside the box, hitting it out of the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

UKGiantsFan

The Giants' BY FAR biggest roster need is at tackle, and I am certain that they will address that at #5. On that I believe we both agree.

You two might, I don't.  Yes RT is our biggest need but in a scenario with all three T's available at 5 and Carolina more likely to trade out than pick 6th - no other picks before R4 remember? - unless we have a big gap between our first and second ranked T I'd take my favoured defensive weapon rather than risk getting jumped for them. We still get a top 2 RT, probably the one we want the most anyway.

Only way I'm taking T at 5 is if our top T is gone and there's a bigger gap between our 2nd and 3rd ranked T and our best available defensive player

Painter

Larry, I think the possibility of taking a corner in round 1 depends largely on two factors:

1) Will either Gardner or Stingley be available at #7? If not, then no; the value board rating for corners then drops 15-20 slots. Too rich for the Giants, even given a trade down.

2) What is Wink Martindale's opinion via-a-vis the secondary talent already on the Giants' roster? Keep in mind he just had his first close up look at the defensive players in the recent OTAs. It is quite possible that he was pleasantly surprised in what he saw. Does he now see Aaron Robinson, a strong and talented young player, as a potential M-2-M press corner? What about Darnay Holmes? Is he capable of a starting role on the outside? Or last year's 6th rounder Rodarius Willaims, who did flash some ability prior to a season ending injury? Let us not forget James Bradbury, whom the Giants have yet to move off the roster. 

All this we do not know. What we do know is that the Giants presently have considerably more talent in the secondary than at edge rusher. And, if both Gardner and are gone by #7, then a top flight edge rusher will very likely be available at that selection. As for either an edge or a corner at #5: ain't happening. The Giants' BY FAR biggest roster need is at tackle, and I am certain that they will address that at #5. On that I believe we both agree.

I agree completely, Brian. I was not, and am not suggesting any sort of reach for a CB. Rather, I see Wink's sentiment as possibly a "tiebreaker" between a CB and a so-called Edge should they be side-by-side on the Board.

Cheers!

todge

Great listen and great job guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk