News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What day 3 QB would you take?

Started by brownelvis54, February 29, 2024, 10:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What day 3 QB would you take ?

brownelvis54

There is a chance the Giants don't take a QB this year in the first two rounds. In fact, I think it's closer to not taking one in the first 2 rounds. There have been multiple NFL ex-players, NFL analysist, and ex GMs saying the same thing, "Build the team".

Put NFL analyst Chris Simms firmly in the 'build around Daniel Jones' camp when it comes to the question of what the New York Giants should do at quarterback this offseason. There has been a constant stream of chatter about the possibility the Giants are considering moving up from No. 6 to No. 3 — provided the New England Patriots are willing to move out of that spot — to get one of the top three quarterbacks.

"What are we going to do. The first two quarterbacks come off the board, we want a quarterback, now we're going to trade up," Simms said. "The Giants have got holes everywhere. And we're just going to leave holes and 'hey, quarterback, save the day.' That just doesn't sound like the Giant way to me."

When I ran the trade up from No. 6 to No. 3 in my most recent multi-round Giants mock draft, I used 2018 precedent set by the Jets and Colts of three second-round picks to move up. The down side of that scenario is that while the Giants get a quarterback at No. 3, they don't pick again until No. 70 in Round 3.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2024/02/giants-daniel-jones-is-better-than-qb-whos-rising-up-mock-drafts-expert-says.html

For me, I personally would not be upset if we didn't get a QB in the first two rounds. I agree with Simms, we need to build the team. We are stuck with Jones and Cutlets anyways. Where I would be upset is if we dont at least take a late round QB at some point. Why? Because there is a chance, we could get lucky. This late round QB can sit an entire year and learn from Kaftka and Daboll, and if he dosent prove to be a future starter.... well then, he could develop into our back up QB for the next few years. Green Bay and San Francisco have a long history of drafting QBs in the later rounds even though they had a starting QB already. Even New England Patriots started doing the same thing. They produced Matt Cassell, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Jacoby Brissett, while still having Brady, in fact they had Bledsoe and then drafted Brady. They used some of those guys for draft capital too.

Build the damn team. I don't care how they do it: WR, LBer, CB, Guard, Tackle, RB, Safety, EDGE....crap we need everything. Get your blue-chip players with the first FOUR picks....players that can be studs, then get the best QB with one of our late picks.

These are the 3 guys I would look at. What do you think? Any of them look good to you? Do you have a guy you like?

Here is stats and film review on all three guys. The good and bad are discussed on all videos. When watching keep in mind, these guys will sit most if not all year one...and that's the way it should be anyway.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024QB.php

Michael Pratt

2/27/24: Pratt was a consistent quarterback for the Green Wave over the last four years. In 2023, he completed 66 percent of his passes for 2,406 yards, 22 touchdowns and five interceptions. In 2022, he completed 64 percent of his passes for 3,010 yards, 27 touchdowns and five interceptions. Pratt has quality size to him. At the Senior Bowl, he did not impress enough to boost his draft stock.

Joe Milton

2/27/24: Milton started out his collegiate career at Michigan before transferring to Tennessee. With good size and a cannon for an arm, Milton has serious passing talent for the next level. Milton can be deadly when given time, but he does not throw well on the run. In the pocket, Milton can be accurate and challenge defenses at every level. In 2023, he completed 65 percent of his passes for 2,813 yards, 20 touchdowns and five interceptions. Milton had an inconsistent week of practice at the Senior Bowl

Spencer Rattler

2/27/24: Rattler completed 69 percent of his passes in 2023 for 3,186 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He picked up four rushing touchdowns as well. Despite the losses, Rattler played well including impressive games versus North Carolina and Georgia. Rattler impressed some NFL team sources with his arm, playmaking ability, and his ability to ad lib his team into some big plays. However, others said they are very down on him because of the turnovers and decision-making. They also noted that Rattler looked slower and less mobile in 2023.

The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

When we look at the QBs likely to be drafted in round 1 and 2 I believe all six will be gone:

1-Jayden Daniels

2-Caleb Williams

3-Drake Maye

4-J.J. McCarthy

5-Bo Nix

6-Micael Penix

This would help keeping the above mentioned three left on the boards to choose from. Give Daboll a chance to groom him a whole year while riding the bench. We might strike gold or get fools gold, BUT the same could be said about all the QBs in this draft. One thing for sure...we can use our early pickds on positions of great need and may finally get solid core players.

Giants should keep Daniel Jones instead of drafting ascending QB, expert says

https://www.nj.com/sports/2024/02/giants-daniel-jones-is-better-than-qb-whos-rising-up-mock-drafts-expert-says.html

1-on-1 with Chris Simms: Daniel Jones is 'problem 74' for the Giants

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/2/29/24086718/1-on-1-with-chris-simms-daniel-jones-is-problem-74-for-the-giants

Philosophers

If we don't draft QB in round 1 then skip it altogether as a mid-round pick can still be a potential starter or valuable special teams player.  Think about it.  A 4th or 5th round pick for a QB destined to be on the sideline versus say a Guard or Safety who could possibly start.  Easy decision for me.  When you need a QB, you take one in the first round or you get an old vet via FA as a backup.

brownelvis54

Joe Milton is absolutely worth a late round pick. He doesn't need to start year one, just sit and learn from Daboll.
Let Jones and Cutlets do what they do best

ozzie

I agree 100%, build the team before trying something new at QB. We don't need another 1st round pick running for his life every snap.
I like the idea of developing the later round QB. That's one of the problems with today's NFL...no one has the patience to let young players develop and learn. If you don't make the playoffs in year one you're considered a bust. Jordan Love wasn't a late pick, but he sat and learned behind Rogers and it looks like that will pay off nicely.
That being said, I cast my vote for Joe Milton. I like his arm talent.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jclayton92

Michael Pratt will go earlier than expected.

Ed Vette

I picked Rattler because I think he would be the safest bet but Milton intrigues me as a project.

That said, I think Rattler and Pratt could be second round picks.

Sam Hartman should be included. I'd take him as a backup and start him off on the Practice Squad.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 06, 2024, 05:13:21 PMJoe Milton is absolutely worth a late round pick. He doesn't need to start year one, just sit and learn from Daboll.
Let Jones and Cutlets do what they do best

He's not.  Trust me.  Do you want a person who can throw it across three states, but can't hit the sky?  You simply can't teach accuracy.  A QB has to have that trait on his own.

He's also does not process defenses well.

I get it that folks like his strong arm, but it means nothing without the other stuff.

Painter

I'm not a Rattler fan so, if available on Day 3, Micheal Pratt would be my choice. Will we eventually get a vote count once we finish adding, Other?

Cheers!

y_so_blu

For the record, waiting that long to take a QB would be a huge mistake. Out of the four I would take Rattler, only because I've heard the most good things about him. Pratt has accuracy issues and Milton is a guy I'd never heard of before he showed up at the combine with a big arm.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 06, 2024, 08:20:56 PMMichael Pratt will go earlier than expected.

I didn't want to make a new thread. But this is in response to Davebrown74 to his "Can 4 QBs be drafted in the first 5 picks".

If, for the sake of argument, Williams, Maye, Daniels and McCarthy go off the board before we pick, then our two choices are Nix or Penix. Are you comfortable taking either at 6? This brings me back to this tread. I like Michael Pratt the most, but have been check out Milton, he seems raw, but dose have a cannon for an arm, and then there is Rattler...I like him, but his size concerns me.

Pratt and Milton would be perfect for the simple matter that they CAN sit for an entire year. That would allow them to learn without the pressure of performing on day 1.

For me Nix and Penix are not worth the 6th overall pick. Get the BPA at 6 and move on IMO

Jolly Blue Giant

Jordan Travis should be on this list if Milton is on it

I'd take Pratt as a long term project that is more likely to pan out someday than DeVito (who got his one-minute of fame)

In order of preference:

Pratt: fast legs with an excellent mobile pocket presence. Comes from small school competition so he would need a couple of years of NFL seasoning. Good long term project

Jordan Travis: looks like a Russell Wilson type (5'11-6'0), a smaller version of Lamar Jackson (6'2")...very quick, extremely mobile, excellent mechanics, relies a little too much on his legs

Milton: Tall, freakish arm strength, does not process plays well and is very inaccurate. He'd be a first rounder if the name of the game was: "who can throw a ball the furthest"

Rattler: Smallish (6-0), accurate, but not very mobile and needs a strong pocket to succeed. One thing to be a pocket QB, but you need to be tall enough to see over the pocket and line if you're going to stand there waiting for the play to unfold

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

spiderblue43

Pratt would be my choice from the standpoint of consistency. I assume they eschew taking a qb early in that case. But he looked very pedestrian in Senior Bowl workouts.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 16, 2024, 01:53:20 PMJordan Travis should be on this list if Milton is on it

I'd take Pratt as a long term project that is more likely to pan out someday than DeVito (who got his one-minute of fame)

In order of preference:

Pratt: fast legs with an excellent mobile pocket presence. Comes from small school competition so he would need a couple of years of NFL seasoning. Good long term project

Jordan Travis: looks like a Russell Wilson type (5'11-6'0), a smaller version of Lamar Jackson (6'2")...very quick, extremely mobile, excellent mechanics, relies a little too much on his legs

Milton: Tall, freakish arm strength, does not process plays well and is very inaccurate. He'd be a first rounder if the name of the game was: "who can throw a ball the furthest"

Rattler: Smallish (6-0), accurate, but not very mobile and needs a strong pocket to succeed. One thing to be a pocket QB, but you need to be tall enough to see over the pocket and line if you're going to stand there waiting for the play to unfold

Pratt is easily at the top of my list also, I'd rather take him late than Nix or penix early. His game vs USC in 2022 was a fun watch.

madbadger

None of the above. If none of the top four are available at 6 than I'd take Nabers or Harrison and then try and move up into the later half of the first round to draft Bo Nix.

https://youtu.be/E3vXhPq_VeQ?si=MX-fki3y_8arQQm4