News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants have Evan Neal focusing to be the starting RT

Started by MightyGiants, May 23, 2024, 11:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

If they make him work at RT the entire spring/summer only for him to inevitably lose the job and then try to force him to play guard at the last minute with little to no practice reps...then maybe the Giants just hate this guy.

He's not the best RT on the roster. It's pretty obvious. We don't know if he's any good at guard. He might not be. But he also might be. Only they refuse to find out for reasons that remain unclear.

What's the harm in letting him get some work in at guard? He plays poorly at RT? Ummmm that's exactly where we are right now.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on Today at 06:13:59 AMIf they make him work at RT the entire spring/summer only for him to inevitably lose the job and then try to force him to play guard at the last minute with little to no practice reps...then maybe the Giants just hate this guy.

He's not the best RT on the roster. It's pretty obvious. We don't know if he's any good at guard. He might not be. But he also might be. Only they refuse to find out for reasons that remain unclear.

What's the harm in letting him get some work in at guard? He plays poorly at RT? Ummmm that's exactly where we are right now.

There is some validity in what you say.    For what it's worth, there is not much oline development in OTAS.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It's the right decision. He doesn't have the skill set or the body to play Guard. Slow off the Snap, top heavy and tall. All his issues are correctable.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

this says to me, we still trust our scouting reports and feel the coaches we had in place to develop Neal failed him. 

We will do our best with what we feel is a competent coach to salvage his career and the investment of our draft pick
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

Quote from: babywhales on Today at 08:07:30 AMthis says to me, we still trust our scouting reports and feel the coaches we had in place to develop Neal failed him.

We will do our best with what we feel is a competent coach to salvage his career and the investment of our draft pick

I think we can also consider that most of the scouting reports, including those by former NFL professionals, were positive about Neal.   Now, they (the draftniks) didn't have a chance to interview him, and Neal avoided all the combined athletic testing, but his college film didn't indicate (with the exception of being on the ground too much) that he was a questionable prospect.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I wonder if he played with some kind of ankle injury which made him ineffective to move/drive off his feet.  Maybe Dabs sees him as healthy and ready to play better.  Only thing I can inagine.

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 08:02:03 AMIt's the right decision. He doesn't have the skill set or the body to play Guard. Slow off the Snap, top heavy and tall. All his issues are correctable.

So why haven't any of them been corrected after two years of disgusting play?  You'd think by now we'd have seen some signs of life but he's as bad as he's ever been.  I agree he's not the prototype guard but neither was Flowers and that guy was at the very least serviceable once Washington moved him to guard.  He was as bad as Neal is now at tackle.  I don't know if Neal will be any good at guard.  He could be just as bad or worse.  But I would like to see it before I dismiss it.

AZGiantFan

Between the injuries and having to switch sides, I'm hopeful that it will come together for him. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Painter

Having already reversed ourselves after-the-fact so as to enable us to second-guess the wisdom in investing the 7th overall pick in an attempt to fill what has been a glaring need at Right Tackle, have we now concluded that it's a waste of time and effort to do so any further where Evan Neal is concerned?

On the other hand, in his 3 years at Alabama, where he was every bit an All-American, he did start 13 games at Left Guard, 12 at Right Tackle, and 15 at Left Tackle. That may speak to his versatility or, perhaps, it just left him confused. In any case, he may have some value somewhere. So, assuming he's fully recovered from his injury-shortened last season, why not give him another shot at the position for which he was drafted? That will still leave time to try him elsewhere on the Oline before they decide to cut him. N'est-ce pas?  Hmm?

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on Today at 10:16:52 AMSo why haven't any of them been corrected after two years of disgusting play?  You'd think by now we'd have seen some signs of life but he's as bad as he's ever been.  I agree he's not the prototype guard but neither was Flowers and that guy was at the very least serviceable once Washington moved him to guard.  He was as bad as Neal is now at tackle.  I don't know if Neal will be any good at guard.  He could be just as bad or worse.  But I would like to see it before I dismiss it.
I'm sure when they or if they give up on him at Tackle they will try him at Guard or his next Gig will. I'm not even cautiously optimistic about that.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin