News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If we draft Rome.Odunze

Started by ralphpal1, April 14, 2024, 07:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 15, 2024, 12:47:43 PMMy question Larry about those stats for Nabers is that he played slot 50% of thr time.  How much production of his came from the slot vs X vs Z?  My gut tells me his slot production is disproportionately higher compared to X or Z.  If true, i think he is less of a fit given Robinson on the team.

I think his ability to line up anywhere is one of his strengths. Wan'Dale took a lot of snaps out wide at Kentucky. With Nabers, they can move everyone around and keep Defenses guessing. And if Waller decides to play in 2024 and can maintain his heath through the season......what's up with that anyway? Is Waller retiring or not?
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 15, 2024, 02:04:57 PMI think his ability to line up anywhere is one of his strengths. Wan'Dale took a lot of snaps out wide at Kentucky. With Nabers, they can move everyone around and keep Defenses guessing. And if Waller decides to play in 2024 and can maintain his heath through the season......what's up with that anyway? Is Waller retiring or not?

Waller is still an unknown (at least publicly, the Giants may be keeping it quiet for the draft)

As for slot WR, the slot is an easier position to play.   You are lined up off the line of scrimmage (which makes it easier to get off the LOS jams), and unlike the outside, where the boundary helps the CB, slot receivers have a two-way go.  Plus, slot CBs tend not to be as good as the ones playing outside.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 15, 2024, 02:04:57 PMI think his ability to line up anywhere is one of his strengths. Wan'Dale took a lot of snaps out wide at Kentucky. With Nabers, they can move everyone around and keep Defenses guessing. And if Waller decides to play in 2024 and can maintain his heath through the season......what's up with that anyway? Is Waller retiring or not?

My concern is if they play Nabers at slot, they still lack an outside the hashmarks go up and make a catch typebWR.

Painter

Quote from: Philosophers on April 15, 2024, 12:47:43 PMMy question Larry about those stats for Nabers is that he played slot 50% of the time.  How much production of his came from the slot vs X vs Z?  My gut tells me his slot production is disproportionately higher compared to X or Z.  If true, i think he is less of a fit given Robinson on the team.

I know of nothing, nor have I seen anything to suggest that Nabers played slot anything like 50 percent of the time, Joseph. Indeed, he rarely ever did.

Aside from agreeing with Mitch that it would hardly matter if he did- just look at his production- Nabers was LSU's wide side Z-Receiver. That, by the way, was where OBJ played at LSU and initially for the Giants. That was until they added Rueben Randle and decided to move OBJ to the X-. Thereafter, it didn't take long before they started toggling him between X, Z, and Slot.

I may be sticking my neck out, and I am an Odunze fan- but I think Nabers can be every bit as good a pass catcher as was OBJ.

Cheers!

Philosophers

Quote from: Painter on April 15, 2024, 07:22:00 PMI know of nothing, nor have I seen anything to suggest that Nabers played slot anything like 50 percent of the time, Joseph. Indeed, he rarely ever did.

Aside from agreeing with Mitch that it would hardly matter if he did- just look at his production- Nabers was LSU's wide side Z-Receiver. That, by the way, was where OBJ played at LSU and initially for the Giants. That was until they added Rueben Randle and decided to move OBJ to the X-. Thereafter, it didn't take long before they started toggling him between X, Z, and Slot.

I may be sticking my neck out, and I am an Odunze fan- but I think Nabers can be every bit as good a pass catcher as was OBJ.

Cheers!

I think your point of OBJ changing a bit once Randle came in to play X is my question.  Frankly Nabers can play all three positions but if he plays Z (Hyatt's position) or slot (Robinson's) we lose one of them and I still dont know who plays X.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 15, 2024, 02:17:05 PMWaller is still an unknown (at least publicly, the Giants may be keeping it quiet for the draft)

I don't know all that's going on but from a fan's point of view this Hamlet-esque stuff is really ticking me off. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Painter

Quote from: Philosophers on April 15, 2024, 07:27:46 PMI think your point of OBJ changing a bit once Randle came in to play X is my question.  Frankly Nabers can play all three positions but if he plays Z (Hyatt's position) or slot (Robinson's) we lose one of them and I still dont know who plays X.

If the Giants add Nabers, he will be WR1 wherever he lines up. That might be at Y in addition to, or in place of Slayton, or X if they decide to switch Hyatt to the Y. Moreover, it's not like SWR is necessarily of lesser importance as that's where we usually find guys like CeeDee Lamb, Keenan Allen, Cooper Kupp, and Adam Thielen.

Exactly where Nabers will play if not as the Y will be decided in due course, if and when. And in the event, it should be thought of as a benefit not a problem.

Cheers!

Painter

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 15, 2024, 08:20:01 PMI don't know all that's going on but from a fan's point of view this Hamlet-esque stuff is really ticking me off. 

"Alas, poor Waller! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite JEST, of most excellent FANCY...

Cheers!

Philosophers

Anyone know what Nabers hand size is?  OBJ was only 5'11" but played X well because he could leap and had 10" hands which are very large for a person his size who could really snatch the ball.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 17, 2024, 06:30:22 PMAnyone know what Nabers hand size is?  OBJ was only 5'11" but played X well because he could leap and had 10" hands which are very large for a person his size who could really snatch the ball.

Reported to be 9-7/8".
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 15, 2024, 07:59:55 AMThey weren't all on Jones but to think Jones play had nothing to do with the downfall of both is kinda laughable. Golladay was a contested catch guy and Jones won't throw that ball, Waller stretches the field and Jones won't throw that ball. Same with Hyatt, he stretches teams vertically but Jones won't throw that ball. I've used the stat before but even in Jones best season 2022, he only threw the ball beyond 20 yards twice by Thanksgiving, that's ridiculous and a waste of the talent we have. Wandale stretched the field and was a yac guy in college along with Hyatt and as long as Jones is qb they will go to waste.

Hodgins had 300 yards, that wasn't a surprise. 300 yards is nothing.

It wasnt just 300 yards .... it was a portion of the season ... and he played decent in the playoffs ... we all also thought highly of Bellinger his rookie season

Jones 100% has issues.... but Galloday flop is not on Jones... Waller has barely been here ..and when he has played he almost certainly ailing from something

Lets be real here

Jclayton92

Quote from: killarich on April 18, 2024, 09:32:31 AMIt wasnt just 300 yards .... it was a portion of the season ... and he played decent in the playoffs ... we all also thought highly of Bellinger his rookie season

Jones 100% has issues.... but Galloday flop is not on Jones... Waller has barely been here ..and when he has played he almost certainly ailing from something

Lets be real here
So then we haven't been wasting Slayton, and we didn't waste Hyatts rookie year?

Any other team and Slayton is a 1000 yard wr every year and a solid #2. Any other team and Hyatt has a productive rookie year.

Yes a little has to do with the oline but if the qb refuses to go downfield then there's really nothing anyone else can do. Because Slayton and Hyatt ran open a lot last season because teams knew we wouldn't go deep.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 18, 2024, 10:02:25 AMSo then we haven't been wasting Slayton, and we didn't waste Hyatts rookie year?

Any other team and Slayton is a 1000 yard wr every year and a solid #2. Any other team and Hyatt has a productive rookie year.

Yes a little has to do with the oline but if the qb refuses to go downfield then there's really nothing anyone else can do. Because Slayton and Hyatt ran open a lot last season because teams knew we wouldn't go deep.

I agree.  The lack of downfield shots was atrocious.  No way Hyatt should have had as quiet a year.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE