News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Arch Manning dazzles in UT spring scrimmage

Started by DaveBrown74, April 21, 2024, 07:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I realize that a scrimmage like this doesn't mean anything, but I still couldn't resist posting it given this fan base's obvious ties to the Manning family. Young Arch looked on point yesterday. He frankly seems ready to play this year. Kind of a shame Ewers is still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YxsJYXyH-c

Ed Vette

Similar throwing motion and tight delivery to David Carr. It was something how he was able to air that deep ball with his elbow in tight to his chest.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Philosophers

What I like about Arch is very subtle.  He came from the father who did NOT make it in the NFL so probably a better drive than a 2nd generation player.  I like a chip on the shoulder.

Painter

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 21, 2024, 10:19:49 AMDon't fall for the hype

God forbid! But, as the "Silly- for all but you- Season" approaches its end, could you not cut just a bit of slack for those more impetuous, less disciplined folks, who might actually enjoy an enthusiasm otherwise rarely afforded Giants fans?

spiderblue43

Quote from: Painter on April 21, 2024, 11:30:58 AMGod forbid! But, as the "Silly- for all but you- Season" approaches its end, could you not cut just a bit of slack for those more impetuous, less disciplined folks, who might actually enjoy an enthusiasm otherwise rarely afforded Giants fans?

I could care less about "spring" games.Time will tell if Arch has it. Let's see. I'm curious. Have to see him in real action..like everyone else.

DaveBrown74

For the record, I am not "falling for the hype" in any way. I have no meaningful opinion of this guy as a player at this point. I don't track or study high school football players. I just think it will be an interesting and potentially fun story to watch develop in the coming years. That's all.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 21, 2024, 12:01:24 PMFor the record, I am not "falling for the hype" in any way. I have no meaningful opinion of this guy as a player at this point. I don't track or study high school football players. I just think it will be an interesting and potentially fun story to watch develop in the coming years. That's all.
I know you weren't as you and I were the ones discussing how he wasn't that good of a prospect coming out of high school last year.

Texas asked Ewers to come back and paid him a ton to do so, they would not have done so if Arch was who everyone thought he was currently. Because ewers isn't that good himself, as he'd likely be qb 6/7 in this draft.

Painter

I suppose it may be just the loser habit which explains why this place is becoming so effing joyless.

Jeezis!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 21, 2024, 01:06:57 PMI know you weren't as you and I were the ones discussing how he wasn't that good of a prospect coming out of high school last year.

Texas asked Ewers to come back and paid him a ton to do so, they would not have done so if Arch was who everyone thought he was currently. Because ewers isn't that good himself, as he'd likely be qb 6/7 in this draft.

Good point on Texas paying Ewers to come back.

Arch is almost destined to fall short of expectations, because no high school player that I can recall anytime recently has been hyped to the degree he has. We have been hearing about him for three years now or more. He will have to be otherworldly to "live up" to the hype, and clearly the odds don't favor that.

I think Phil makes a good point about him being Cooper's son. I have actually read repeatedly that of the three Archie Manning sons, Cooper was the best natural athlete. I'm not saying he would have been a better QB than Peyton or even Eli, but apparently as younger kids his athleticism was the best of the three of them.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Painter on April 21, 2024, 11:30:58 AMGod forbid! But, as the "Silly- for all but you- Season" approaches its end, could you not cut just a bit of slack for those more impetuous, less disciplined folks, who might actually enjoy an enthusiasm otherwise rarely afforded Giants fans?
If me saying a 3rd string Qb getting played on ESPN was overhyped put a damper on someone's day then that would be pretty ridiculous. I mean the kids thrown for 30 yards, but you go right ahead with said enthusiasm.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 21, 2024, 01:13:16 PMGood point on Texas paying Ewers to come back.

Arch is almost destined to fall short of expectations, because no high school player that I can recall anytime recently has been hyped to the degree he has. We have been hearing about him for three years now or more. He will have to be otherworldly to "live up" to the hype, and clearly the odds don't favor that.

I think Phil makes a good point about him being Cooper's son. I have actually read repeatedly that of the three Archie Manning sons, Cooper was the best natural athlete. I'm not saying he would have been a better QB than Peyton or even Eli, but apparently as younger kids his athleticism was the best of the three of them.
Cooper was a WR and an up-and-coming prospect. He was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis and it ended any hopes he had of a football career. It must have been devastating for the kid. I read somewhere a while back that he was the best athlete of all the Manning brothers.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 21, 2024, 02:36:06 PMCooper was a WR and an up-and-coming prospect. He was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis and it ended any hopes he had of a football career. It must have been devastating for the kid. I read somewhere a while back that he was the best athlete of all the Manning brothers.

Again you just have to think Arch feels a bit like he is carrying the burden of his immediate family and his dad versus Peyton and Eli. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on April 21, 2024, 02:50:27 PMAgain you just have to think Arch feels a bit like he is carrying the burden of his immediate family and his dad versus Peyton and Eli. 

I have watched him interviewed once or twice, and from what I recall he came off as pretty relaxed and down to earth from what I could glean. Of course, everything you said could very well still be dead-on accurate though.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 21, 2024, 02:54:01 PMI have watched him interviewed once or twice, and from what I recall he came off as pretty relaxed and down to earth from what I could glean. Of course, everything you said could very well still be dead-on accurate though.

Got to think Cooper felt some serious envy/slight jealousy of his brothers all his life and somehow Arch picked up on it.  Could be wrong but it is not a crazy notion.