News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants would be inviting chaos if they use a high draft pick on a QB

Started by brownelvis54, April 23, 2024, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

He knew what would happen. And he wanted no part of it and so he got out.

It was April 28, 2004 when it became official. The Giants released Kerry Collins, their No. 1 quarterback — during one stretch he started 67 consecutive games — when he refused to accept a pay cut to stay with the team. Four days earlier, then-general manager Ernie Accorsi pulled off a bold and daring draft day trade, acquiring Eli Manning from the Chargers. The plan the Giants wanted to enact was to keep Collins the proven veteran around to start until Manning the rookie was ready to take over.

Collins was 31 years old and had no interest in a role as a caretaker quarterback.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/23/sports/giants-would-be-inviting-chaos-if-they-use-a-high-draft-pick-on-a-qb/
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

I seriously doubt this would happen.   Daniel Jones is the consummate professional and ultimate team player; I would be shocked if he said or did anything that would hurt his team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2024, 10:28:54 AMI seriously doubt this would happen.   Daniel Jones is the consummate professional and ultimate team player; I would be shocked if he said or did anything that would hurt his team.

Rich I agree that Jones is a team player. The article speaks about the media:

If the Giants go in this direction, they had better be prepared for the maelstrom that follows.

There is nothing more distracting to a team than having two quarterbacks for one job. Wait until Jones looks rusty in a training camp practice or he misses an open receiver in the season opener, or — heaven forbid — throws the ball up for grabs for an interception. From the moment the Giants are off the clock after taking a quarterback at No. 6, Jones' ownership of the starting job is on the clock. It is almost always an irrevocable decree: Your time is nearing an end.

TONKA56

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 23, 2024, 10:32:40 AMRich I agree that Jones is a team player. The article speaks about the media:

If the Giants go in this direction, they had better be prepared for the maelstrom that follows.

There is nothing more distracting to a team than having two quarterbacks for one job. Wait until Jones looks rusty in a training camp practice or he misses an open receiver in the season opener, or — heaven forbid — throws the ball up for grabs for an interception. From the moment the Giants are off the clock after taking a quarterback at No. 6, Jones' ownership of the starting job is on the clock. It is almost always an irrevocable decree: Your time is nearing an end.

Eventually it's unavoidable, unless you're willing to go into the draft or free agent pool with an obvious glaring need. Grocery shopping hungry comes with its own set of challenges. 

londonblue

Media chaos is preferable to QB hell. If you knew the QB you draft would be at least league average you'd take chaos every time. Sadly that is not guaranteed but if you have a conviction for a guy then it is better to get fired for the risks you did take rather than the ones you didn't. We are ready for chaos!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

H-Town G-Fan

Kerry Collins led the Giants to the Superbowl in 2000 and in his 2002 season, he was fourth in the NFL in passing yards. Jones hasn't come close to the achievements of Collins and is perpetually a injury risk. There would be no "chaos." The only reason drafting of a QB may(e) be relatively surprising is not because the Giants don't covet one, but because their draft position may not afford them the opportunity to get one of the top prospects. But make no mistake, if the Giants were picking in the top 3 of the draft, there would be zero doubt they would take a QB. So there is little reason for "chaos"--instead, only excitement--if the draft board falls differently than anticipated and gives the Giants a windfall.

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 23, 2024, 10:32:40 AMRich I agree that Jones is a team player. The article speaks about the media:

If they draft a Qb at 6 or earlier would that not make the statement that they believe they don't have a Qb currently on the roster that can win. So it wouldn't be a 2 qb show, it would be 1 Qb auditioning for a job elsewhere after 2024, and a qb learning to takeover when he leaves or fails.

katkavage

Bring on the chaos!! Maybe they will win a few chaotic games instead of boring, calm losses.

spiderblue43

Jclayton92

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 23, 2024, 10:37:30 AMEventually it's unavoidable, unless you're willing to go into the draft or free agent pool with an obvious glaring need. Grocery shopping hungry comes with its own set of challenges. 

To listen to the talk around here, we are already going into the draft QB hungry.  I hope Schoen doesn't see it that way.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 23, 2024, 03:54:47 PMTo listen to the talk around here, we are already going into the draft QB hungry.  I hope Schoen doesn't see it that way.

Never shop hungry
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 23, 2024, 03:44:15 PMThe QB
obviously but you don't draft Rome Odunze for 5 yard outs and currently we haven't seen a qb on the roster throw at a high level or volume. A #1 wr won't solve our problems.