News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants send a message to Daniel Jones, via their beat reporter

Started by MightyGiants, April 29, 2024, 09:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

I dont think this is any type of shock to jones. He knows a lot of people are gunning for him to be replaced, namely the fans. He knows he needs to do better. It must be quite frustrating, considering the fact that yes, he needs to play better...he had absolutely ZERO to work with. Having been in a similar situation at work, I can totally understand that. Being extremely competent, but having to rely on everyone else to do their job, or else YOU fail.

Really for the first time (on paper anyway), we have what appears to be a competent team. if he cant make it work, anyone and everyone is ready to move on. last year was more of a practice in favor of him than against, considering how poor EVERYONE on offense played.

Hopefully he sees that this is truly the last chance, and puts up some wins (and maybe some top 15 qb stats).

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 10:59:37 AMMatt,

The two beat-writers I cited both post what the team wishes to be posted.  While there were plenty of insiders reporting the Giants tried to trade up to the third pick to draft Maye, it was still pretty much rumor.  With these two reports, I think it's fair to move it from rumor (with a strong possibility of being true) to now given fact. 

To your question, I wouldn't say "need" but I would say, "it can't hurt"

Neither can it help, so why bother with such overweening nonsense which serves no purpose for anyone other than for the supposed special purpose messenger. Can't we do better than waste time with such stuff even if time wasting is about all we can do presently?

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on April 29, 2024, 02:21:12 PMNeither can it help, so why bother with such overweening nonsense which serves no purpose for anyone other than for the supposed special purpose messenger. Can't we do better than waste time with such stuff even if time wasting is about all we can do presently?

Cheers!

Larry,

Football is entertainment.   Talking about football is entertainment.  Let us not pretend we are ending world hunger or curing cancer here.   We are just talking football with fellow knowledgeable fans. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 12:20:40 PMReasoned thoughts, Len. Remember that the book on Josh Allen was still undetermined until the Bills added Diggs.

Interesting.  I actually saw the impact of Plax (and Shockey) a little differently.  Plax was absolutely a security blanket for Eli and he really did pitch it up to him and expect him to make plays, which he often did.  It certainly elevated the passing game, but I always thought it made Eli a worse QB....lazy....  I personally thought Eli became a better QB after Plax was gone and he couldn't rely on that chuck it up mentality and had to refine his game more.

With Shockey, I think he had an overall negative impact on Eli also because he was so demanding about getting the ball in his hands- that Eli grew as a passer when Shockey left also. 

Back to DJ- I don't think Nabers is a chuck it up type of receiver, for better or worse.  The better comparison to Plax probably would have been Odunze, but who's to tell? 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 29, 2024, 10:35:58 AMIf Daniel is what we think or hope he is he will come in no different than last year. On a mission. I don't think it was for lack of effort it was just a historically bad OL that messed with his head. It derailed the entire season.

I know it's 5 years in and the fan base has justifiably lost patience. However, it doesn't change the fact that we all have mostly agreed that he has never had a good system to operate in. I think the issue is people look at that it's been 5 years and the talent has yet to convert to high level production. Now some just say he isn't a talented QB so even with better talent it won't make a difference. Well hopefully this is the year we finally find this out. Because if the OL is even average or the WR group is even average for that matter that will be about 5 levels above anything DJ has had to work with his entire career.  :surprise:  :scared:  :crazy:
He came in on a mission and blew up before take off. His 1 series vs Carolina (who was horrible) gave people false hope. Even though it was abundantly clear that we were inferior to a detriot team we practiced with in camp. People just ignored that detriot dominated us in practice because of the generic series in Carolina.

Same exact thing happened at the end of 2022, Jones played well vs a historically bad Vikings D that he had just seen while getting smashed by the eagles the following week and putting up embarrassing numbers but people seem to only remember the Vikings game.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 12:20:40 PMReasoned thoughts, Len. Remember that the book on Josh Allen was still undetermined until the Bills added Diggs.
Josh Allen was MVP material in his 3rd year, kinda hard to compare his book to Jones in year 6.

H-Town G-Fan

I find it interesting many here are still couching things as "fans" being "done with" Jones, ignoring the fact that the front office literally (and in a well-documented manner) just attempted to pay a huge price to jump up three spots to move on from him. Jones very well might have a better year in 2024, but unless he's magically an MVP candidate, his time with the Giants will end after his current contract.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 29, 2024, 10:28:08 PMI find it interesting many here are still couching things as "fans" being "done with" Jones, ignoring the fact that the front office literally (and in a well-documented manner) just attempted to pay a huge price to jump up three spots to move on from him. Jones very well might have a better year in 2024, but unless he's magically an MVP candidate, his time with the Giants will end after his current contract.

i think its just more they were in a position to get their next guy, rather than being completely done with jones. jones is halfway through a lackluster career, and has had some serious injuries in that time. i think they are more concerned about him staying healthy than his play, which probably isnt far behind. a contingency plan has to be put in place at this point

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: B1GBLUE on April 30, 2024, 04:17:30 PMi think its just more they were in a position to get their next guy, rather than being completely done with jones. jones is halfway through a lackluster career, and has had some serious injuries in that time. i think they are more concerned about him staying healthy than his play, which probably isnt far behind. a contingency plan has to be put in place at this point

But they weren't in a position to get their next guy--that would have been top-3. They tried to manufacture a way to get the next QB via a trade. While I agree with you that health is a serious concern, I do not dismiss Jones's ineffective play. Daboll's sideline frustrations and comments in post-game pressers do not reflect a coaching staff content with Jones's production on the field when healthy. Trading up for a top-3 QB prospect at the expense of future draft capital is not just a "contingency plan," that is a (potentially costly) attempt at moving on. Drew Lock is the injury contingency plan.

Uncle Mickey

Lombardi basically nixes NYG wanted Alt. Heard him say this morning if NYG really wanted to take Alt, they would have likely traded with Arizona and moved up to 4. Ossenfort was looking to trade but once Maye got drafted by NE, NYG was no longer interested in trading up. Arizona most likely still gets Harrison at 6 as LAC was going OL.

The leak to Schefter was supposedly to show public support for Jones

Thegratefulhead

Don't think we tried to get Maye.

NE needed a QB badly, no one contests this.

It would take a franchise altering haul to get them off Maye.

Maye was not getting to 4.

NE made the pick with 5 Minutes left on the clock.

The only media plant by NY that makes sense is this interest in a QB.

We drafted a WR

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

kartanoman

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 29, 2024, 10:13:24 AMHe absolutely needs to show more fire and passion.  I definitely question whether Daboll and Schoen really need to send that message through the media, though.  If they feel they need to do it that way they're pretty shitty leaders and have been way too soft on DJ.  It's time to suck it up and perform or go home, simple as that.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this. It's kind of hard to show fire and passion after getting the daylights beaten out of you, game after game, and then have your knee shredded like southern BBQ.

But, maybe some QBs get fired up over that stuff; heck, I don't know! But, if they do, I can promise them, when they reach my age, they'll be popping and clinking around with their replacement knees and their hips on borrowed time ... take it to the bank!

Hoorah ... hips replaced tomorrow, my brain the following week ... I feel just as great as just before that first ACL tear ... I'm a rarin' to go!!!

Let's have a reality check on the fire lighting, unless you've brought the marshmallows!!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)