News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagiantfan

My brother actually called the pick. He lives in Pennsylvania and has been talking to me about this guy for months now. He said they would take him in the 3rd Round. I told him he was nuts.

He called this moring to remind me I owe him a beer.  :cheers:
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

troyfan

At the risk of intruding on MG's territory, here is some stuff from CBS sports on Mr. Brewer.

The link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243647

And some of their information:

04/04/2011 - Top offensive linemen: 9. James Brewer, Indiana, 6-6, 323, 3, Hoosiers are just born with hoops in their blood. Basketball was Brewer's first love, and he didn't give up the round ball for shoulder pads and a helmet until his senior season at Arlington High School in Indianapolis. Brewer went two years at IU before he got on the field -- he redshirted in 2006 and missed the '07 season with a foot injury -- and his sophomore season in '08 ended in anguish when he went down with an ankle injury at midseason. Brewer didn't completely escape injuries the rest of his career, missing three games in 2010 with an ankle injury, and enters the NFL with just 21 career starts. His size and potential pique the interest of scouts who might be inclined to gamble on his upside in the middle rounds if they're convinced he won't spend more time in the trainer's room than film room and practice field. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

"Overview
James Brewer is an intriguing prospect who settled in as Indiana's best pass protector after a well-traveled high school career, but struggled with injuries at IU. Prior to matriculating to Indiana, he bounced around three different high schools -- he primarily played basketball -- before finally settling in at Arlington High School in Indianapolis and focusing on football as a high school senior.

After redshirting in 2006, Brewer missed the entire season with a foot injury. In 2008, he was a reserve in the first eight games before suffering a season-ending ankle injury. After a strong showing in spring practice as a junior, Brewer realized his potential as the anchor on the right side of an offensive line that gave up just 16 sacks - the second-lowest total among Big 10 teams that season. The 2010 honorable-mention All-Big Ten pick started his senior year playing very well against non-conference opponents but again missed three games -- this time with an ankle injury -- before returning at less than full strength for Indiana's final four games.

Despite Brewer's large frame, he is more of a finesse blocker than a mauler and never really took the leadership reins in 2010 from Rodger Saffold, whom the St. Louis Rams selected with the first pick of the second round of the '10 draft. But despite injury issues, scouts were impressed with his season-ending performance against Purdue's defensive cornerstone Ryan Kerrigan. Brewer may be a relatively high draft pick because of his vast potential but he's not without question marks.

Analysis
Strengths: Has great athleticism for his size and a quick first step off the snap. Has a strong upper body, uses his arms well to knock rushers off their path. Good agility and can move with ease laterally. Has a very quick kick-slide to mirror speed rushers to the outside. Has good awareness and adjusts well to blitzes. Keeps his pad level low and is able to get good leverage for a player of his size. Good quickness and is effective when pulling. Adjusts to spin moves and attacks cut blocks. Gets to the second level quickly. Has quick feet and can lock onto linebackers in the open field. Does not drive defenders out of the play but does a good job occupying them and sustaining his blocks.

Weaknesses: Does not display much aggression. Regularly grabs the outside of the defenders' shoulder pads instead of attacking his chest to drive and steer him out of the play. Does not make the first contact and tends to wait and catch the defender. Lacks a nasty demeanor when run blocking. Doesn't take good pursuit angles and often fails to keep his body square. Fails to explode off the ball in the run game and also struggles to hold his ground against bull rushers. Can open his hips and get beat to the inside. Ineffective when cut blocking and struggles to take down athletic defensive ends. Could do a better job keeping his feet moving once engaged. Missed time in 2007, '08 and 2010 with foot and ankle injuries. Not a vocal leader on the field or in the locker room and his competitiveness has been questioned.

2010 Season
Received honorable mention All-Big Ten from the league's coaches and media
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.   Thomas A. Edison

NYSPORTS

He was more highly touted earlier in the year.  I think some of the reports are a bit hard on him.  At the least, he's a guy for the goalline and short yardage or could develop into the next starting RT.

I don't believe Diehl, O'Hara or Seubert had very flattering scouting reports either.

Hooper74

Injury prone, inexperienced, non nasty, non aggressive, questionable competitiveness and sounds like he's going to get flagged for holding on a regular basis and he's not a drive blocker. Score. I give everyone a shot, but, this reads like they drafted a career backup no better.

GiantFan67

Chris

He was in Ceri's Top 100 and a projected 3rd rounder by some. Are we seeing a pattern here?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 29, 2011, 08:57:28 PM
Quote from: GiantFan67 on April 29, 2011, 08:31:20 PM
I'm mystified. I guess our OL and linebacker situation is not a problem. /??? /??? /???

No. It is not.

Not that anyone is listening.

DT was the biggest need going into the draft. I LOVE today's first pick.

Special teams and pass coverage was the real biggest problem and even though you don't just draft for special teams we have gotten 2 guys who could be difference makers on special teams while also playing active roles from scrimmage.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Guys I am taking classes this weekend for my emergency medical tech cert
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

NYSPORTS

Cannon just went to New England.  Ugh, ya know, this one really hits me.  2012 this kid will likely be a wrecking ball. 

Not happy about this one, at all.   :boooo:

bamagiantfan

If you think anyone knows anything for sure at this point, just read the scouting reports on this guy. Absolutly all over the place. Everything from good work ethic and athletic to underperforming and unable to reach the second level.

:surrender:
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

bamagiantfan

T200

Hopefully this will end all of the "Plaxico Back to Giants" talk.   ~X(
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

NYSPORTS

Chris

Where we landed this player is beyond a steal.

MightyGiants

Here's Russ Lande's take:

Brewer is a two-year starter at RT for the Hoosiers in 2010. He has outstanding overall size with very good arm length for the position at the NFL level. He is an outstanding overall athlete with just above average lateral range in his play. He has excellent initial quickness, lower body flexibility, body control, balance, lateral quickness, recovery ability, & agility for the position. He is a strong run blocker at the POA. He has the lower body strength & finish ability to
gain movement off the LOS. He is inconsistent to strike & stick to the defender with his hands inside the frame. However, he does an excellent job of controlling his man. He moves easily with proper angles to his 2nd level blocks. He can search, fit, & sustain blocks on the move. He showed excellent power as a run blocker on the GL & in SY situations in my views. He flashes a quick, strong punch with the ability to anchor down against bull rushers in pass protection. He has very quick feet to slide & mirror with speed rushers off the edge. He has the lateral agility & recovery ability to sustain his block against stunts, but is late to react at times in his play. He does an excellent job of dropping his hips when pulled by the DL. His lack of durability & starting experience is a concern. Overall, he is a mid-to-late 2nd round draft consideration in 2011. He has the ability to start at RT in his first season at the NFL level and could eventually become a good LT. He is a bigger, stronger version of former Irish Ryan Harris, who was a 3rd round pick by Denver back in 2007.

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: With Kareem McKenzie and David Diehl both on the wrong side of 30, the Giants needed to add some depth to the position. Brewer lined up at right tackle in college but could offer swing backup versatility at either OT since he has good length, mass and agility. He will be best sitting and learning for a year and could benefit highly from the tutelage of OL coach Pat Flaherty.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE