News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Russ Lande's take:

Jones is a three-year starter at MLB for the Spartans in 2010, after serving as their starting SLB back in 2007. He also competes on special teams as the LG on punt & as the L5 on kickoff coverage. He has an undersized frame with good arm length & limited growth potential to develop for the position at the next level. He is an outstanding overall athlete with just good play speed & lateral range in his play. He shows outstanding lateral quickness, lower body flexbility, & cod ability on the move. He is a very instinctive & a highly productive player within his college scheme. He is most effective as an inside run defender & as a pass rusher. He plays with excellent leverage, body control, & balance as a run defender. He is more of a lateral, flow player, than a nasty, violent, downhill thumper in his play. He has quick hands & feet to slip & avoid larger blockers within the box. However, when he does square-up on a blocker, he has trouble getting free due to his lack of size & bulk. He will back-door a run play, but lacks the speed & acceleration to chase plays down from behind. He makes a lot of his plays as a run blitzer, showing excellent timing & awareness. He has a definite short burst to close, but is not an explosive athlete. He is a build-up speed athlete in his lateral pursuit. He shows some anticipation & closing quickness as an underneath zone defender, but lacks the speed, range, & recovery to drop in the deep middle in TB cover 2. He is quick to pick-up a RB in the flat & does a good job with his jam on crossers. He has very little career production on the ball in the
air. He shows natural interior pass rush ability to win vs. OC
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

From NFL.com

OVERVIEW
Sash brings impressive football intelligence and excellent effort in run support to the table but probably lacks the range and athleticism in coverage to become a full-time starter. However, he'll likely provide excellent depth and contribute on special teams coverage units. Can play the deep half but is a liability in centerfield or when asked to matchup with tight ends or slots in man coverage. Does possess hands when he limits separation and is around the football. Flies to the ball in run support and is a sound tackler. Coachable player who will learn your system quickly. Sash carries a mid-round grade.

From Russ Lande:

Sash is a junior who came out early for the 2011 NFL Draft who definitely could have helped himself and his draft stock by staying another season in college. He is a well built kid who can be a very hard hitter and good form tackler when he stays over feet and under control, but too often he gets upright running to the ball and ends up missing tackles he should make. He definitely has the foot quicks, acceleration, playing speed and closing burst that NFL teams look for in a safety as it gives him the sideline range to make plays all the way outside, but the issue is that he does not make as many plays as he is capable of because he does not consistently read the play as quickly or accurately as he needs to. He has experience lining up deep in coverage within 5 to 7 yards of the LOS, so I do not believe smarts or ability to learn assignments are an issue. Overall, I am always concerned by safeties who are inconsistent in both coverage and tackling because if you are not at least very good in one of those areas you often struggle to become a consistently productive starter in the NFL. I am  sure that Sash will be drafted significantly higher than I have him rated, but I doubt he will become a good, all around starting safety. I think in time he will be an excellent backup safety who makes big plays and hits on special teams.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

Quote from: NYSPORTS on April 29, 2011, 08:23:45 PM
Giants will be running a 5-2-4 defense (with two hybrid DE at linebacker)

Tuck-Austin-Canty-JPP-Osi

Kiwi (lb) Sintim (lb)

Prince, Webster, Thomas, Rolle

So Austin leapfrogs Joseph? 

MightyGiants

Here:

QuoteRecently, when I was at EFT Performance in Highland Park, a player I didn't recognized jumped out at me.

He was a smooth athlete, and I even thought he might have been a big receiver. But the player was Jacquian Williams, an outside linebacker from South Florida. You could tell he was explosive, which was confirmed at the South Florida Pro Day, when he ran a 4.53 and 4.72 in the 40-yard dash. But he also had a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap.

SNIP

QuoteHe came to South Florida as a junior college transfer, and he was named a team captain for his final season. Former USF head coach Jim Leavitt called him the "fastest linebacker" to ever play at the school.

He finished second-team All-BIG EAST, and he led the team with 71 tackles, including 11 for loss, 2 1/2 sacks and one interception.

USF coach Skip Holtz called him "his hero," according to the St. Petersburg Times.

"He's an incredibly unselfish young man. I don't know that I've ever been around anybody as committed as he is, with the heart he has," Holtz told the paper. "I hope my son grows up to be like Jacquian Williams. I feel that strongly about him as a young man."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/04/south_florida_lb_jacquian_will.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

giantsguy

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2011, 02:07:56 PM
Guys I am taking classes this weekend for my emergency medical tech cert

Rich, best of luck.  Try not to kill the practice dummy.   <:-P
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

giantsguy

Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

President Rick

RB Da'Rel Scott.  Maryland.  had the fasted RB time in the 40...4.35 or so.

we'll keep BJ, AB, ware and Scott at RB.

Yes, I'm a Maryland grad [Ph.d., 1988].  Go Terps.  GO GIANTS.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

giantsguy

It's just me, but of all the picks, this is the one I think may help the least or possibly last the shortest time.  From what's been written, is he really worth a 4th round pick??   /???
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

giantsguy

In that case Rick, I hope he sticks.
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

dasher

For what it's worth- CBS Sports had him rated the number uno strong safety and a third round projection ( number 77).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243712/tyler-sash

bamagiantfan

A terrapin (turtle) who runs a 4.35 40-yard-dash?  :what:

Hares beware.  ;)

So now we have two Scotts in the backfield. I think everyone has already forgotten about Charles Scott from LSU who was signed late last season.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

troyfan

Quote from: President Rick on April 30, 2011, 05:58:28 PM
RB Da'Rel Scott.  Maryland.  had the fasted RB time in the 40...4.35 or so.

we'll keep BJ, AB, ware and Scott at RB.

Yes, I'm a Maryland grad [Ph.d., 1988].  Go Terps.  GO GIANTS.

A gentleman and a scholar.  Well, at least a scholar.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Da'Rel can do also.  More so than most of the guys picked before him.  A sub-4.4 RB would be a real weapon.  Small, but so is Desean Jackson.  That's probly why he lasted till the 6th.  If he has the ability and we have the same to employ it, he'll be a a very welcome addition.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.   Thomas A. Edison

MightyGiants

From Russ Lande

Scott is a three-year starter at RB for the Terrapins in 2010. However, he played in a 3-man rotation & finished as only their 2nd leading rusher this season. He has adequate size with some growth potential to develop for the position at the NFL level. He is an explosive, straight-line athlete with outstanding long speed, acceleration, & big-play potential to consider as a pro prospect. However, he shows marginal lateral quickness, cod ability, & elusiveness to be anything more than a back-up, role player at the next level. He is not a naturally instinctive runner; more like a track star playing football. He appears to run with blinders on, often missing the chance to cutback or bounce a ball outside. He is most effective in their offense, when he can make one cut, follow his FB, & accelerate up-field. He doesn
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GiantFan67

I read somewhere that...

" Williams is 6-1 and 216. That is not a typographical error. He weighs 216 pounds. The Giants have safeties who weigh more than he does."